EMT-Basic IV

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
I know in Colorado you can start an IV as a basic, but is there other states that allows this also?

OP
OP
EMT11KDL

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
In Colorado you have to take the IV class, but it is only a 3 day class. Is that how it is in texas?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Nope.

We can do anything and every thing in Texas so long as our MD teaches us and allows us.

You'll be hard pressed to find any docs that actually puts that to the test with Basics though.

OP
OP
EMT11KDL

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
It is in the Colorado State Protocols that after the IV Class, Basic are allowed to start IV.

pdibsie

Forum Probie
As an B-IV in Colorado I disagree. I think it's a huge advantage for our system when we get an IV started while our medic is drawing up drugs or doing other things on their end. I can understand that for those who are not allowed to start IV's as basics it may seem a little crazy, but from what I've seen first-hand it only further increases our level of service to our customer. Having the IV cert doesn't enable us to push many drugs, but it does enable us to draw blood as well as give NS, D-50, and narcan.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
As an B-IV in Colorado I disagree. I think it's a huge advantage for our system when we get an IV started while our medic is drawing up drugs or doing other things on their end. I can understand that for those who are not allowed to start IV's as basics it may seem a little crazy, but from what I've seen first-hand it only further increases our level of service to our customer. Having the IV cert doesn't enable us to push many drugs, but it does enable us to draw blood as well as give NS, D-50, and narcan.

How can you disagree with him, or even have an opinion on this if you cannot discuss tonicity, homeostasis, fluid compartments, cellular physiology and plasma membranes, cardiac and vascular physiology, concepts in fluid resuscitation, evidence based medicine, shock and MODS, etc???

Do you know the effects of the saline you put into someone's body an hour after you drop them off?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

You are just discussing skills and skills only. Using the "what if" as an excuse for allowing personell to perform medical skills without the proper background and education needed. States place skills in the hands of those;without being properly educated upon the dangers and risks.

R/r 911

Scout

Para-Noid
Is it not different as in his senario he is just :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:ing and i will assume the medic will do calculations and drug decisions as opposed to him doing to 100%.

Is hat not a benifit?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Is it not different as in his senario he is just :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:ing and i will assume the medic will do calculations and drug decisions as opposed to him doing to 100%.

Is hat not a benifit?

??????

R/r 911

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief

Show us tanglible proof that it has been advantagous to your system and improved patient care.

There is NO reason that a medic cannot draw up medications and start the IV. Actually, I prefer the opposite and will have my EMT partner get my drugs out and ready. It serves a multi fold purpose.

A. It allows them exposure and education to the pharmacology associated with EMS should they decide to pursue additional education in the field.

B. Its something they can do that cannot harm the pt. as I will always double check the medication.

C. It allows another set of eyes to verify the "R's" of medication administration.

VS.

the list of things that could go wrong with IV initiation and the potential for cellular physiology changes. Its a no brainer. The EMT-B need to focus on sound assessment abilities, equipment familiarization, and safe ambulance operation. Outside of that, they can assist the medic as requested or needed. If they have a burning desire to do more, then they can pursue additional education for higher certification.

medic417

The Truth Provider
You have EMT-Bs working on flight?

Flight no longer means you are the best of the best. I am aware of a number of basic/paramedic crews working flight. Used to be if flight showed up you knew patient was getting an upgrade in care, now maybe not.

Scout

Para-Noid
Is it not different as in his scenario, he is just Stabbing and I will assume the medic will do calculations and drug decisions as opposed to the Basic doing the 100%.

Is that not a benefit?

Sorry the build in censor grabbed one of the words, Its meant as a question.

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Flight no longer means you are the best of the best. I am aware of a number of basic/paramedic crews working flight. Used to be if flight showed up you knew patient was getting an upgrade in care, now maybe not.

I know Maryland just plucks whatever is on the ground which is usually a volunteer EMT to ride with their sole Paramedic. As well there are several HEMS that just rotates their ground medics without any extra protocols...just another mode of transportation. One service has the pilot fly out to meet the ground crew and one of the medics flies with the patient while the truck drives to the hospital to pick up the Paramedic. Fortunately these systems that I am familar with can not do IFT transfers but merely offer a different transportation mode to the hospital from the scene and actually less may be done since there is only one person in the back who may be bagging the patient for the duration of the trip.

I just thought Flight-LP worked for a better system.

OP
OP
EMT11KDL

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
OK everyone, lets get back on topic. We have Colorado and Texas that basics can start IV. what other states are out there??

reaper

Working Bum
FL allows it, but it is a county by county thing and it is up to the MD. I don't agree with it. My last sevice had it, but we made the basics go through a 80 hour IV course.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
OK everyone, lets get back on topic. We have Colorado and Texas that basics can start IV. what other states are out there??

This has been discussed and posted to death. Let's just do a search on it.

R/r 911

Afflixion

Forum Captain
AZ and NM allow IVs for basics as well. At least Tucson and Las Cruces areas... not to sure about the rest of the state.