EMT-B vs OET

savelives

Forum Probie
Where can I find the difference in protocols/scope of practice for EMT-B's vs OEC certs?

Challenging the OEC exam so I've gotta get on my sh*t cuz its been awhile.

Thanks

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
They are basically the same. No huge differences off the top of my head.

OP
OP
S

savelives

Forum Probie
Apparently they want us to run some of the scenarios differently? I'm used to splinting injuries in the ambulance on the way to the hospital so it would be a little weird splinting something on scene (except sling & swath and backboarding of course) I'm just gonna ask the sp director on monday and try to get some extra training in with them. It'd be nice to get their protocol book too.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
That makes sense considering you can't exactly sit in a toboggan with someone and splint hte injury during transport. :rofl:

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
My understanding is that OEC spends more time (and effort) on trauma-- particularly skills appropriate for skiing injuries, and much less time on medical disorders or treatment. OEC also includes/discusses evacuation techniques and particular rescue skills in place of ambulance ops, HazMat, etc.

I also understand OEC training is only accepted at the mountain where it was trained for-- and while there is national certification, it has very limited scope away from home. Is that true?

OP
OP
S

savelives

Forum Probie
Just emailed a director of a mountain closer to my permanent address that exact question and his response was "OEC is OEC" howeve I can see how an organization would want to train/give favor to personal trained in-house.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
My understanding is that OEC spends more time (and effort) on trauma-- particularly skills appropriate for skiing injuries, and much less time on medical disorders or treatment. OEC also includes/discusses evacuation techniques and particular rescue skills in place of ambulance ops, HazMat, etc.

I also understand OEC training is only accepted at the mountain where it was trained for-- and while there is national certification, it has very limited scope away from home. Is that true?

You understand correctly.

As you said OEC is a national certification but it is not mountain specific. It is the same across the board at any mountain you work at. Some mountains may have different protocols but for scope of practice, it's the same nationally.

savelives when it comes to splinting, as an EMT there's no reason to not splint an injury on scene unless another life threatening issue is present. With that said, you don't need to go splinting every little injury if the person is going in full spinal motion restriction as they are lying on one giant splint.

OP
OP
S

savelives

Forum Probie
Word. Still tweaking a little about the skiing portion though. Heading out to the mountain for the third time this week tomorrow for some extra practice. Good news is the mountain I will work at apparently is willing to compromise ski ability slightly for ems experience/emt cert. fingers crossed gentlemen.

JCyrus

Forum Crew Member
It sounds like you may have gotten the answer you were looking for already. But the OEC textbook IS available to the public and may help you in translating your EMT skills to the OEC testing. If you don't want to put money into buying it, maybe someone on the patrol might have an old copy laying around to lend to you?

AK_SAR

Forum Crew Member
....But the OEC textbook IS available to the public and may help you in translating your EMT skills to the OEC testing. If you don't want to put money into buying it, maybe someone on the patrol might have an old copy laying around to lend to you?
Just be aware that NSP has gone to a brand new 5th edition OEC book. There are some changes, so make sure you are using that (most recent) edition.

As noted above, OEC is a national program, so there shouldn't be any differences in challenging the course from place to place. However, once you get on a patrol different mountains may have slightly different local protocals, depending on their medical advisor.

hherrn

Forum Ride Along
OEC 5th edition has moved more toward EMS.

The only thing you want is 5th edition- significant changes. Under no circumstances should you rely on previous knowlege or common sense. You will be responsible for the material in the book.

The OEC is universally accepted by any NSP patrol. Once certified in OEC, any patrol will have its own requirements and hoops to jump through. Every patrol is different. Even whithin a patrol, there are often different standards for paid staff and vollunteers.

Patrol is fun- I used to be fulltime, and continues as a vollunteer.

zmedic

Forum Captain
One of the big differences is that ski patrol tends to expect a higher level of forearm splinting, sling and swath ability, and ability to deal with shoulders stuck up (blaket rolls). It's not that the skills aren't part of the EMT class, but I've found that most EMTs spent about 10 minutes working on putting on slings in their class. Ski patrol expects a better splint that is going to work when the patient is bouncing around in a sled.

Don't get my started on the new OEC textbook. I feel like NSP is trying to position OEC as the answer to all pre hospital medical training. Want to be a river guide? Take OEC. Want to learn about HAZMAT? There is a chapter in the book on that too. The problem is that OEC classes aren't actually long enough to go through about 65% of what is in the book, so you have the huge thing that no one will actually read. WEMT or WFR is a much better class for those who want to be wilderness professionals. And if you are doing OEC to be ski patrol, do you really chapters on advanced airway management, ambulance operations (where to park the rig), etc etc?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
One of the big differences is that ski patrol tends to expect a higher level of forearm splinting, sling and swath ability, and ability to deal with shoulders stuck up (blaket rolls). It's not that the skills aren't part of the EMT class, but I've found that most EMTs spent about 10 minutes working on putting on slings in their class. Ski patrol expects a better splint that is going to work when the patient is bouncing around in a sled.

Amen. It's sad, but I've come to believe that the average Boy Scout can do a better job immobilizing a fracture than an EMT. And heaven forbid if the EMT doesn't have a SAM splint to use :).

Don't get my started on the new OEC textbook. I feel like NSP is trying to position OEC as the answer to all pre hospital medical training. Want to be a river guide? Take OEC. Want to learn about HAZMAT? There is a chapter in the book on that too. The problem is that OEC classes aren't actually long enough to go through about 65% of what is in the book, so you have the huge thing that no one will actually read. WEMT or WFR is a much better class for those who want to be wilderness professionals. And if you are doing OEC to be ski patrol, do you really chapters on advanced airway management, ambulance operations (where to park the rig), etc etc?

That said, in PA, OEC has been determined to be materially similar to MFR - and our DOH considers it an acceptable course to test for MFR. At some point, if the class wants to be recognized by more than JUST NSP, it needs to expand to cover other things.

JPINFV

Gadfly
In general, states license EMTs, thus granting EMTs the ability to perform otherwise restricted interventions. This is called a scope of practice.

Most states do not have a "wilderness" level of EMT, as such they do not license anyone to have a "wilderness" scope of practice, and OEC does not have, in the strictest sense, any scope of practice.

Now, there are multiple ways to skin a cat, and depending on the circumstances the basic EMT scope and training is not fully appropriate, but that doesn't mean that the alternative has a scope of practice.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Amen. It's sad, but I've come to believe that the average Boy Scout can do a better job immobilizing a fracture than an EMT. And heaven forbid if the EMT doesn't have a SAM splint to use :).

Splinting is one of those skills that you truly have to use and practice to become good at it, IMO. Also, creativity is a must.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

Splinting is one of those skills that you truly have to use and practice to become good at it, IMO. Also, creativity is a must.

I totally agree. Whenever I break out the Board Splints and rig something up, at least one co-worker asks "where the heck did you learn that" Answer: Scouting.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
I think the reason Scouting does so good is that it isn't as ridged as what is taught in EMT school. For Scouting, you do what you need to with what you have on hand. If that means sticks and scraps of clothing, then that's it. What I think happens with EMTs is that EMTs are taught one way of doing something, and often leave class thinking that is the only way and no deviation can occur.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
I think the reason Scouting does so good is that it isn't as ridged as what is taught in EMT school. For Scouting, you do what you need to with what you have on hand. If that means sticks and scraps of clothing, then that's it. What I think happens with EMTs is that EMTs are taught one way of doing something, and often leave class thinking that is the only way and no deviation can occur.

I love you JP. Do you know hard it is to beat the "this is how we are supposed to do it" out of provide? To quote the founder of NOLS: "Rules are for fools!" In the outdoors there can not be a rule for every situation. The greatest tool you have is the ability to think. MacGyver is the man. In my opinion, if you do not have 10 ways to do one thing, you suck.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Silly question: How difficult would it be/how much prep would be needed for an EMT-B to challenge OEC? It sounds like the EMT-B program covers most of it, and all that would be needed is to brush up on skiing and read the OEC book.