EMT-B vs OET

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Silly question: How difficult would it be/how much prep would be needed for an EMT-B to challenge OEC? It sounds like the EMT-B program covers most of it, and all that would be needed is to brush up on skiing and read the OEC book.

The OEC course itself doesn't teach you about skiing....no reason to study it...

I'm the first to say it, and some people might hate me for it, but if you aren't a good skier, comfortable on pretty much any terrain you have no business working as a patroller. Doesn't mean you have to go fast but you need to know what you are doing.

zmedic

Forum Captain
Jon; said:
That said, in PA, OEC has been determined to be materially similar to MFR - and our DOH considers it an acceptable course to test for MFR. At some point, if the class wants to be recognized by more than JUST NSP, it needs to expand to cover other things.

My issue is less using OEC as a first responder course. It's more that the way it is taught, and the length of time that is spent is not close to WEMT class. WEMT was 200 hours when I took it, OEC more like 60-80. WFR is also about 80 but OEC spends most of it's time on the "urban" skills (I don't think it matters if you are doing it out in the woods, if you are using backboards, c-collars, 02 tanks and SAM splints it's urban type medicine).

It just bothers me that the NSP is selling itself this way because they think they can get more people to take the course if it's seen as being for more than just ski patrollers.

Now as to if you are an EMT can you just take the OEC test? I'd say if you were in a really good EMT class sure, and you are solid on your skills. You just need to practice splinting and play with some of the tools that patrol uses that you may not have seen (KTD, quick splint etc)