EMT-B says "I'm a medic"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
hmm.. snowcaps,, that brings back memories...
now,, back to the show...

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Sooo bstone is actually an EMT basic as that is the level he is operating at.
No, I work on an ALS unit with a paramedic and I act as the EMT-I/AEMT.

If you are working in Chicago as an EMT B,
Huh? I went to EMT school in 2002 in Chicago. I haven't lived there since 2004, so I am not sure how I am working as a Basic in Chicago.

then it definitely was not your place to "dress him down".
I didn't dress him down. In a very subtle way I suggested that it's not good to work beyond your scope.

Seriously did he deflate your ego that bad? Doing all those transports wearing you down so you need to tear someone else down? Seriously, your kind are the ones that give EMS a black eye.
My ego is perfectly in tact and he didn't deflate it in any way. Notice how I didn't dress him down, didn't yell at him, didn't accuse him of a crime- none of that. I simply said how when I taught Basic school that I told my students to never act beyond their scope of practice, even if ordered to do so by a medic. That's all.

The ones with a chip on their shoulder that have something to "prove". OooOoooo you are a Basic Instructor. Boy that really gives you the right to set him right.
Nothing to prove. Just suggested in a very round-a-bout way that he not operate beyond his scope.

But who am I to call you out? I am just a "lowly" basic who chose not to go to the Paramedic level because I decided I would rather support my husband to achieve that goal.
Umm...this just got weird.

To be honest, the loser in all this is you. You had an opportunity to help a fellow EMS member out but chose to take a low road rather than a high road. Guess the joke is on you eh?
I helped him by not yelling at him, not accusing him of anything, not threatening to report him, etc. I simply recalled what I told my Basic students. He got the point and we moved on. The tone of voice I used was not condescending, not negative nor sarcastic. In fact, I dare say I helped him realize he was operating beyond his scope in about the best way possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
there is a big difference between acting out of your scope and saying your a medic in a casual conversation.
This kid did both. Saying he's a medic isn't so bad (tho illegal in many states, including MA) but operating beyond his scope is dangerous, illegal, unethical, etc.

Here is a guy who is feeling good for taking another brother to task for using a generic term accepted by most providers. Instead of berating the guy in public you deal with it privately like the other professional services do

Again, I didn't call him out on self-identifying as a medic.

18G

Paramedic
It sounds like bstone was subtle in her approach. I know the type she was talking to... they like to come off as something they are not and to me its kinda annoying. I also like to have fun with these types of people and play dumb just for the entertainment value.

I can see myself letting this person talk for about 20mins and than throw in something pertaining to being a Paramedic... just to see the reaction.

People need to calm down!

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
It sounds like bstone was subtle in her approach. I know the type she was talking to... they like to come off as something they are not and to me its kinda annoying. I also like to have fun with these types of people and play dumb just for the entertainment value.

I can see myself letting this person talk for about 20mins and than throw in something pertaining to being a Paramedic... just to see the reaction.

People need to calm down!

I think you and I would get along very well.

::whisper:: I'm a guy.

Pittma

Forum Crew Member
The moral of this story seems to be check yo self before you wreck yo self. The OP has a very good point in that this EMT shouldn't have been out of his scope of practice. Period, the end. You can't disagree with that. The original post may have looked to be like an "egotistical" write-up, but the tone of the post can be misread. Put it this way, I don't go around telling people what they should and shouldn't do, but in that same respect, I want someone to flame me when I screw up- that's how I learn, and I guess I'd be appreciative of it in the long run. And if I see someone else who could use a lesson, I guess I'd be willing to do the same if I could.

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
Emergency 'MEDIC'al Technician - Basic
Emergency 'MEDIC'al Technician - Intermediate
Emergency 'MEDIC'al Technician - Paramedic

:shrug:

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
10 pages and a lock.. again.

insert dead horse pic..

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Emergency 'MEDIC'al Technician - Basic
Emergency 'MEDIC'al Technician - Intermediate
Emergency 'MEDIC'al Technician - Paramedic

:shrug:

I thought in the USA that it was just Paramedic now and that they didn't have EMT before their title.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
That takes affect in 2013 i think.

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
just feeding the fire. i dont really care what my shirt says i aint doin crap outside my scope.

MrsFlightMedic

Forum Ride Along
I see bstone changed his location after I called him out on being a basic. Makes you wonder what else he has been fibbing about. To be honest, makes you think that maybe the original post was a fabrication he made up just to cause some excitement in here lol.
The more I reread the original post the more it does seem fabricated. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I see bstone changed his location after I called him out on being a basic.
My NREMT Intermediate certification number is I0701654. Please look me up.

I changed my location because I joined this website when I was still living in Chicago in the summers and never bothered to update it. Please forgive me for this horrible oversight.

Makes you wonder what else he has been fibbing about.
I don't even know how to respond to this. Calling me a liar is not a small accusation, but I'll ignore it.

To be honest, makes you think that maybe the original post was a fabrication he made up just to cause some excitement in here lol.
The more I reread the original post the more it does seem fabricated. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
You're sounding hysterical.

Indy

Forum Crew Member
Disregard

Last edited by a moderator:

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Well, this thread was a good subject until it was taken way off topic.

closed.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.