EMT-B courses for people under 18

Fedekz

Forum Probie
Hey,

Can anyone tell me where I can find summer EMT-B courses that have a age requirement of 16+ or 17+? I know Pennsylvania has a school (http://www.centerem.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=34&Itemid=22) that offers the EMT-B course to people 16 +. What other states don't require you to be 18 to enroll in an EMT-B course? In Washington State, you have to be 18 to be eligible. Links, or names of schools that offer it would be very helpful : ], or states that don't require you to be 18 to enroll, and I can find schools off of that.

Thank you !

-Fedekz

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
If your state doesn't allow EMTs under 18, and you are under 18, there is no point in taking the class somewhere else, you still won't be able to be an EMT in your state.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
In lieu of taking an EMT course (which is designed as an entry point for EMS) why not take a a good first aid course (something you could use)?

In reality, very few services would even consider a minor to even be able to ride with an EMS unit, the chances of you retaining extra parts of the curriculum or skills that defines the difference should be considered.

If one does not continue within the practice or studies of clinical care, one may become inproficient at that level. In other words use it or loose it. So why not await and take it when you might be able to utilize it?

Remember, EMS will be awaiting for you ... there should be no hurry to enter the profession.

R/r 911

Afflixion

Forum Captain
Most companies won't hire you unless your 21 anyways and those that do about 80% of them will hire you as a non driver (non driving basic= TMT Transfer Medical Technician) They're insurance companies consider someone under 21 a liability. I know when I first started I was a non driver for 2months until the company that I worked for worked out an agreement with their insurance company. It's pretty hard getting a job at 18 in EMS hate to say. As for schools I'm not sure of any in WA though in El Paso, Tx theres ProAction who will accept a 17 year old if by the end of the course they are 18. (18 is the minimum age to take your NREMT exam)

johnnyreb132

Forum Crew Member
Virginia and Maryland don't require you to be 18 but at least 16 to become a state EMT-B with most community colleges and some high schools offering the course. But, as stated in an earlier post, you won't be able to use the certification in Pennsylvania unless you tried to volunteer down south.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I became an EMT in PA when I was 16... used it some while running with the FD as a junior member, but not much since the FD did not have an ambulance. In PA I know the law says that you can perform as an EMT at 16 and 17 as long as you are under the direct supervision of a senior crew member (ie 18+). All EMT programs in PA are open to ppl 16 and older.

As Rid has said, a good first aid course would be great to... the American Red Cross offers a great program called Emergency Responder. It teaches you a lot of stuff like oxygen, airway adjuncts, splinting, etc and is put together very well. I took it when I was in school and believe it was around 40hrs. That was awhile ago so not sure how many hours it is now. Its a 3yr certification (requires written and practical exam).

Here is an outline of the program:

Courses For The Professional Emergency Rescuer
American Red Cross professional rescuer courses are designed for people with a job-related duty to respond in an emergency, including nurses, law enforcement, EMS personnel, fire fighters, business and industry response teams, lifeguards, flight attendants and others who must take action in emergency situations.

Emergency Response

Designed for training first responders, this comprehensive course follows the 1995 US DOT First Responder National Standard Curriculum and meets ECC Guidelines. Key content areas include:

* First Aid for injuries and sudden illnesses
* Automated external defibrillation
* Preventing disease transmission/ bloodborne pathogens
* Using basic and supplemental oxygen breathing devices
* Spinal injury management
* Muscle, bone, and joint injuries
* Special considerations for seniors and children
* Critical incident stress debriefing
* Healthy lifestyle tips
* Emergency childbirth

biggee72

Forum Probie
In NJ my class had a few 16 yr olds in it. When they take the state test and pass they are provisional. They can perform all EMT duties as long as there is another active EMT next to them.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
* Critical incident stress debriefing
LOL! I see the Red Cross is maintaining their tradition of staying ten years behind the times in their courses.

FAIL.

frdude1000

Forum Captain
If you have a local red cross chapter nearby, you can take the emergency response class, which is equivalent to a first responder. Their is no age for the class, and they issue you certification. First Responder is similar to EMT-B. The only difference is less hours, less detailed assesment, no meds, etc. But First Responders can pretty much do everything else, assess, vitals, bandage, spinal immobilaze, give o2, etc.

OP
OP
F

Fedekz

Forum Probie
In lieu of taking an EMT course (which is designed as an entry point for EMS) why not take a a good first aid course (something you could use)?

In reality, very few services would even consider a minor to even be able to ride with an EMS unit, the chances of you retaining extra parts of the curriculum or skills that defines the difference should be considered.

If one does not continue within the practice or studies of clinical care, one may become inproficient at that level. In other words use it or loose it. So why not await and take it when you might be able to utilize it?

Remember, EMS will be awaiting for you ... there should be no hurry to enter the profession.

R/r 911

Hey R/R,

I have already taken a first-aid safety course, and will have my BLS healthcare provider cert. As for working as a minor, I already have something lined up (as in, it has already been offered to me) once I receive my EMT-B cert. By receiving my EMT-B cert. this summer, I'll have next summer to take an accelerated paramedic program in College Station, Tx., that is another reason why I would like to get it done this summer.

Thanks for all the responses so far !

reaper

Working Bum
Yes, because accelerated education is the wave of the future! (sarcasm)

Why would you want to take an accelerated program? It will make you the worst medic you can be and that will reflect in your knowledge and care. Guess what, You won't have many job offers coming that way.

Aidey

I read in your earlier post that you are from WA. Even if you take the class somewhere else, and get a cert in that state, you won't be legal to practice in WA. Whom ever your work/volunteer for could get in a lot of trouble if you are found to be practicing as an EMT B without a valid WA cert.

OP
OP
F

Fedekz

Forum Probie
I read in your earlier post that you are from WA. Even if you take the class somewhere else, and get a cert in that state, you won't be legal to practice in WA. Whom ever your work/volunteer for could get in a lot of trouble if you are found to be practicing as an EMT B without a valid WA cert.

I'm sorry, I ment that as, once I receive a valid EMT B cert. I would start working. As in it's already lined up now, and just waiting on the cert.

mdkemt

Forum Lieutenant
This may come off *** mean but seriously...16 and a EMT Basic. In canada you cannot even think about getting into the program until you are 18. But then again our EMT program is the states intermediate or advanced level too. EMRs which is closer to the Basic level still have to be 18 years of age. Only makes sense to me. EMS is a profession and at 16 your not ready for a career yet.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I don't know of any EMS that hires anyone under the age of 18 (at least if they are legitimate) and most will not hire under the age of 21 or even 23 unless they are self insured or have a high risk policy.

I agree, I do not seem to understand the need of "rushing" or even promoting the profession to one that barely has their drivers license.

R/r 911

Aidey

I'm sorry, I ment that as, once I receive a valid EMT B cert. I would start working. As in it's already lined up now, and just waiting on the cert.

Our point is that in WA you won't be able to get a valid EMT B cert until you are 18, so it's much better to stick with your first responder classes and wait until you are 18 to take your EMT class.

Now, there are some states, and I have no idea if WA is one, that will let you take, and test for your EMT as long as it's within 90 days of your 18th birthday. This is how I got my basic. I turned 18 less than 90 days from the end of the class, so after I finished the class and passed the test the state just with held issuing my cert until my birthday.

Sasha

Forum Chief
EMS: So Easy, A Child Could Do It!

guardian528

Forum Lieutenant
for my class, you had to be 18 by the 4th week of the course, because that's when ride-alongs started, and the companies/hospitals do not let minors do stuff. I was 18 by the 9th week of the course. Yes, I had to wait another year because of 5 weeks. but really, it wasn't that bad. I don't see the point of trying to find all these shortcuts and whatnot, just give it some time, it will come.

Durchii

Forum Probie
for my class, you had to be 18 by the 4th week of the course, because that's when ride-alongs started, and the companies/hospitals do not let minors do stuff. I was 18 by the 9th week of the course. Yes, I had to wait another year because of 5 weeks. but really, it wasn't that bad. I don't see the point of trying to find all these shortcuts and whatnot, just give it some time, it will come.
Yeah, come to think of it, we had a few 17 year olds in my Basic class that came of age within the first two weeks of the course in time for their Ride Alongs. No one younger, though.

There are a few ways to look at this, Fedekz. It's terrific that you're showing interest in EMS this early and want to get started as soon as possible. It takes a very self-motivated person to do that, but it's simply not reasonable to look for a course this early in your adult life. Even if it were possible to take it, most (if not all) require that you do some sort of Third Rider Program with an Ambulance Company in the area as well as Hospital Clinicals to complete the class itself. You will need to be 18 to do this, unless there is some very serious loophole that I'm totally missing here, but Law isn't one of my specialties (Past keeping myself out of jail and out of debt). :p

If you're really interested in the medical field as a career and want to get a head start on it, start looking into some books relating to what you want to do. Anatomy and Physiology is a good start and will keep you well prepared for at least 50% of your EMT-B Coursework. (It plays a bigger role than you would think...) Of course, you could always look into some EMT-B Textbooks as well to just peek through and no one would think any less of you for it. The niec thing is, you can find just about any A&P book at the local library, but the EMS books will take a little digging... maybe a College Library that offers it.

It's good that you're looking into it, seriously, but don't get ahead of yourself. Like Aidey said, stick with your FR class, even maybe consider taking an Outdoor First Aid/Survival Class (If that's your forte') that could back up what you already know and then worry about EMT-B when the time comes around.