EMT-B courses for people under 18

Silver_Star

Forum Crew Member
EMT-B courses for people under 18... SHOULD NOT EXIST.

why is that? just because you are under 18 does not make you incompetent.
i went to school with a couple of people who got their emt at about 16 or 17, they loved what they did and were good at it. today they are still volunteering in ems and/or are in college majoring in some part of the medical field.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Why?

10char

For one, if EMS is ever going to be a profession and not a hobby, it needs to be treated as such. To allow children to hold EMT certs just brings it right down to the "hobby" level. Can you think of any well respected profession that a normal child can start before they're old enough to buy lotto tickets?

Also, they are children. While some may be mature enough to be an EMT before they're 18, many more are not. One can't make special exceptions for certain members of a group, and how would you regulate it? It's better to paint them all with one brush.

And why do children need to become EMTs? Are there not enough jobs at McDonalds?

Say you or a loved one is having chest pain, would you want to be treated by a 16 or 17 year old? For many people it would add stress to an already stressful situation, that a child was taking care of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Can you think of any well respected profession that a normal child can start before they're old enough to buy lotto tickets?

Military.

Also, they are children. While some may be mature enough to be an EMT before they're 18, many more are not.
There are plenty of people over 18 that are immature (college anyone?)

Say you or a loved one is having chest pain, would you want to be treated by a 16 or 17 year old? For many people it would add stress to an already stressful situation, that a child was taking care of them.

If they are certified and licensed by the state, they have obviously reached a competent educational standard (DC excepted).

We're not saying let 17 year olds be medic here. We're saying let them be Basics. There isn't much a basic can do that can kill people, and even then, the basic is usually paired up with a medic anyhow.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Military.

There are plenty of people over 18 that are immature (college anyone?)

If they are certified and licensed by the state, they have obviously reached a competent educational standard (DC excepted).

We're not saying let 17 year olds be medic here. We're saying let them be Basics. There isn't much a basic can do that can kill people, and even then, the basic is usually paired up with a medic anyhow.

The military is the exception, not the rule and for many is not a profession but a way to pay for school, get benefits, etc.

Because they have met a low "educational standard" doesn't mean They should be working on real people. Yes, there are immature 18 year olds and in a perfect world you'd have to be 25 to obtain a cert (And I would be 25 while typing this...:p )

Some areas are Medic/Basic, and not all. A basic can't do a lot to hurt someone, but their indifference or immaturity can lead to patient suffering.

And why does a child need to be an EMT? So they can brag to their friends that they're a hero? They should be focusing on school work, so when they decide to leave EMS they have the grades to get into a decent college.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
You asked for a profession that people can do under 18, and I gave you one. Just because someone might not spend a lot of time doing it (cough EMS cough) doesn't mean others don't do it for a profession.

Age has absolutely nothing to do with maturity in any way. I'd take a mature 16 yo over an immature 25 year old ANY day. But than again, maturity is subjective.

No, they don't have to be an EMT. But how many people here wanted to be a medic when they were younger? Why not start sooner with the education?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Age has absolutely nothing to do with maturity in any way. I'd take a mature 16 yo over an immature 25 year old ANY day.

Actually there is evidence to suggest that the brain continues to mature past the age of 18.

No, they don't have to be an EMT. But how many people here wanted to be a medic when they were younger? Why not start sooner with the education?

The education for a basic is lacking already, and you want to make it possible to balance basic education with going to high school classes??? Why not wait 'til they're out of high school and can focus on becoming an EMT, not being an EMT and doing algebra homework.

Code 3

Forum Captain
Actually there is evidence to suggest that the brain continues to mature past the age of 18.

Are you confusing the word mature with develop? There isn't evidence to "suggest", however it's a fact that the brain continues to develop until around 25. Even so, there's not some special brain area or nerve that magically appears at that age and people become rationale and mature thinkers. Maturity is developed through personal life experiences, cognitive abilities, and your environment. It should be judged on a case-by-case basis.

Why not wait 'til they're out of high school and can focus on becoming an EMT, not being an EMT and doing algebra homework.

Ummm, what? Are you only able to focus on one task at a time? As far as I remember I was learning multiple subjects in high school and college. After I did my algebra homework I would pick up my science book and do that. What's the difference if you add one more subject? I don't see how someone can learn science, math, history, etc. but aren't able to learn EMT curriculum.

reaper

Working Bum
Because in the majority of the states, it is not allowed. Wonder why that is?

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
The only problem I have with younger people taking EMT courses is that they lose more than half of the knowledge they acquired during the time they cannot yet work because of their age. For that reason, the education should not start until you are old enough to get a job. If you can get a job as an EMT at 16, then go for it. If not, don't waste your time.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
There isn't evidence to "suggest", however it's a fact that the brain continues to develop until around 25.

Actually there is. That is the research insurance and even military uses. Using the military IMHO is a poor choice, as we know the real reason and why.

There is a reason for age entry for several professions that require responsibility. The same as in LEO even to work on a trash truck. So yes, it is a common understanding that maturity does associate with age. Agreed not 100% of the time. The best course for those under the age limit would be First Aid or a MFR course.

This would prevent several things and allow one to gain more interest and understanding if one does so happen to choose this as a career.

R/r 911

Code 3

Forum Captain
The same as in LEO even to work on a trash truck.

I'm not trying to pick apart your post, but I believe this raises a good point:

The age requirement for an LEO is actually 20 1/2 years of age at time of application and 21 years of age at time of academy. This is strictly due to the fact that federal law governs the age at which an individual can carry a sidearm. A candidate's morals, ethics, maturity, level of responsibility, and overall "fit" for the career is determined through a comprehensive background process and psychological/medical exam.

I do not think that simply issuing a standard age requirement is the best thing for this profession. I believe that this could lead to complacency and assumptions that if a candidate meets the age requirement and has all of his certs, then he must be a qualified individual.

If the main issue is an applicant's maturity level, then you simply cannot solve this problem by only looking at their age. If you want to set an age requirement as a pre-screen process then fine, but I strongly feel that it should be combined with some sort of testing and background process as well. There has to be a move towards a more stringent hiring process and less generalizations.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
The age requirement for an LEO is actually 20 1/2 years of age at time of application and 21 years of age at time of academy. This is strictly due to the fact that federal law governs the age at which an individual can carry a sidearm.
You could not possibly be more wrong.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Your experience is inadequate. The federal government does not in any way dictate the age at which someone may carry a sidearm. Never have. Never will.

Code 3

Forum Captain
Your experience is inadequate. The federal government does not in any way dictate the age at which someone may carry a sidearm. Never have. Never will.

Okay so make it State Law. Either way it has nothing to due with the point of post.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
The age requirement for an LEO is actually 20 1/2 years of age at time of application and 21 years of age at time of academy. This is strictly due to the fact that federal law governs the age at which an individual can carry a sidearm. A candidate's morals, ethics, maturity, level of responsibility, and overall "fit" for the career is determined through a comprehensive background process and psychological/medical exam.

I need to correct this.

There is no federally mandated age to be a LEO. It's up to the individual agencies to decide.

In Fort Worth, they require you to be 21 at the time of academy completion.

Dallas requires only 19 (but the chance of that happening is nill)

Code 3

Forum Captain
I need to correct this.There is no federally mandated age to be a LEO. It's up to the individual agencies to decide.

Yes, I understand this and corrected myself to State law and not Federal law. The age was for California and now post with the useful information is buried in all of these replies. :rolleyes: