EMT-B courses for people under 18

Sasha

Forum Chief
Yes, last I checked 17 was still a minor!

Only some seventeen year olds are still minors.. some think they are REALLY mature and adult for their age and should be allowed to do adult things.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Only some seventeen year olds are still minors.. some think they are REALLY mature and adult for their age and should be allowed to do adult things.

Check the Police files, well you can't their MINORS!.... Legally, their still kids. Allowing a kid to perform emergency medical care is much different working in a drive thru.

R/r 911

Sasha

Forum Chief
Check the Police files, well you can't their MINORS!.... Legally, their still kids. Allowing a kid to perform emergency medical care is much different working in a drive thru.

R/r 911

I was being sarcastic :p

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Except you're mistaken, rid.

In many states, you can legally consent to sex.
In many states, you can, and usually are, charged as an adult for crimes at 17.
And, even more so, you can join the military at 17.

If someone can go to war, fight, and kill people, you're seriously telling me they aren't mature enough just because they can't vote?

In the eyes of the law, 17 is an adult in many states. Just because it may not be in Oklahoma does not make my statement any more wrong.

Sasha

Forum Chief
And, even more so, you can join the military at 17.

With their parent and/or guardian's consent.

Because they can join the military and 'legally' have sex does not make them adults. There are thirteen year olds having sex, does that mean they should be EMTs too?

In many states, you can, and usually are, charged as an adult for crimes at 17.

Courts can make decisions to try you as an adult at a much younger age.

Per your state, generally minors can be tried as an adult at the age of 14, does that mean we should allow 14 year olds to be EMTs?

Texas - the juvenile court system has power over minors, who are defined to be anyone 10 years of age or older but under 18. For discretionary waiver, the minimum age is generally 14.

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/juvenile-tried-as-an-adult.html

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I even put in a qualifying statement to avoid such an argument: in many states. Not all states. Not most states.

EMS is a state regulated profession, not federally, and as such each state follows what it considers an adult and not the federal govt "18".

There is NO fact based evidence to prove that an 18 yearold is any more mature tgan a 17 yo. None. The only difference is 1 second and a different word infront of "teen".

rmellish

Forum Captain
I even put in a qualifying statement to avoid such an argument: in many states. Not all states. Not most states.

EMS is a state regulated profession, not federally, and as such each state follows what it considers an adult and not the federal govt "18".

There is NO fact based evidence to prove that an 18 yearold is any more mature tgan a 17 yo. None. The only difference is 1 second and a different word infront of "teen".

So what you're saying is that because there's really no difference anyway, it should be allowed?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
No.

What I'm saying is you can't make a blanket statement, such as "All people under 18 are immature" when arguing this kind of topic.

If you want to prevent people under 18 from being EMTs, you need to come up with a tangible reason, and not "They aren't mature at 17 years, 364 days and 23 hours"

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
The whole point of the age requirement is multi-fold. You are in an adult environment, exposed to things only adults should be exposed to. As an adult, you have the legal ability to choose and make a rationale decision.

True, 18 is only one second from 17 and 16 is from 17 and so on. The difference is the law.

Your pro police, why is it that most LEO require one to be 21 or 23 years of age? Since the old adage and excuse of .. "they can fight in a war".. but can't defend their own streets?

R/r 911

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
We all know why you can sign up for the military while you are 17 Hint: still have a dtysfunctioning frontal cortex.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
We all know why you can sign up for the military while you are 17 Hint: still have a dtysfunctioning frontal cortex.

Actually, you are just another numer and you just saved another one from a possibility of draft. Ability to rationalize, thinking and being responsible has nothing to do with recruitment of the youth.

R/r 911

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I was an EMT at 16 and am very glad I went through the EMT program at such a young age. I did quite fine... just as good as any "adult". As long as the 16 or 17 year old is of the proper maturity level I think it is a great thing for them to do and I would highly encourage it. Completing EMT at 16 did a lot for my self-esteem and confidence at that time.

A 16 or 17 year old is developed enough mentally to be able to handle EMS situations. At 17 and 5 months they cant handle it, but 7 months later they are suddenly that much more capable??? That sounds kinda silly to me. They're are mechanisms in place to provide increased oversight to providers less than 18.

If your a 16 or 17 year old reading this and you want to take your EMT... GO FOR IT!!! I would never discourage anyone from receiving a formal level of medical training.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I was an EMT at 16 and am very glad I went through the EMT program at such a young age. I did quite fine... just as good as any "adult". As long as the 16 or 17 year old is of the proper maturity level I think it is a great thing for them to do and I would highly encourage it. Completing EMT at 16 did a lot for my self-esteem and confidence at that time.

A 16 or 17 year old is developed enough mentally to be able to handle EMS situations. At 17 and 5 months they cant handle it, but 7 months later they are suddenly that much more capable??? That sounds kinda silly to me. They're are mechanisms in place to provide increased oversight to providers less than 18.

If your a 16 or 17 year old reading this and you want to take your EMT... GO FOR IT!!! I would never discourage anyone from receiving a formal level of medical training.

Send all charges for therapy, medication for PTSD and litigation in c/o ResTech because of the vast expertise knowledge and exposure (psychological) that can be performed by a kid.

With all the new findings of PTSD that is being recognized even with our young soldiers, why would we ever want to promote a such?
R/r911

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Send all charges for therapy, medication for PTSD and litigation in c/o ResTech because of the vast expertise knowledge and exposure (psychological) that can be performed by a kid.

That's kinda funny... EMS isn't a combat zone in Iraq... EMS is filled with 90% of your 80 y/o with chest pain, your 95 y/o with a hip fx, or a 30 y/o drunk, and your occasional priority MVC or other gory traumatic call. I'm sure they're are no PTSD cases of minors in EMS having to deal with Mr. Pappy chest pains. I have first hand experience as a minor provider so yeah, I do have a little expertise on the subject. I have known many people who started out as a minor provider and all are quite ok.

And what litigation... that's why parental consent is obtained... that's why there are usually advisors and officers to provide oversight to the "junior" members and both minor and their parents are informed of the emergency services world up front so they can make a decision if its right for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Your pro police, why is it that most LEO require one to be 21 or 23 years of age? Since the old adage and excuse of .. "they can fight in a war".. but can't defend their own streets?

R/r 911

You're right, most are, and I never said I agreed with it. But those departments that have a lower than 21 age limit also have a minimum college credit requirement. (And it has somewhat to do with obtaining a state concealed weapon permit, which requires 21)

Dallas PD hires at 19, but you need 60 college credit hours if you're under 21.

And that is where the "tangible reason" I was talking about comes in. Age as a requirement for a job because it's "mature" is stupid. You can't prove someone is more mature just because they are older. No two ways about it. If you want to limit the number of people under a certain age, do college credit requirements.

Helps 2 ways-- keeps young people out, and (somewhat) keeps dumb people out. And if a young person DOES apply with the required credits, they are probably someone you want. You are one of the first ones to proclaim the need for education in EMS, so this should be right up your ally, and is something I'd support.

Last edited by a moderator:

DWemt28

Forum Crew Member
Here in California, you can take the EMT-B course under the age of 18. Depending on the ambulance company you do your clinicals with, you may end up on an IFT unit for your ride along instead of a 911 rig. You can also graduate the program underage, however you must be 18 still to sit for the licensing exam

Hey,

Can anyone tell me where I can find summer EMT-B courses that have a age requirement of 16+ or 17+? I know Pennsylvania has a school (http://www.centerem.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=34&Itemid=22) that offers the EMT-B course to people 16 +. What other states don't require you to be 18 to enroll in an EMT-B course? In Washington State, you have to be 18 to be eligible. Links, or names of schools that offer it would be very helpful : ], or states that don't require you to be 18 to enroll, and I can find schools off of that.

Thank you !

-Fedekz

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
You asked for a profession that people can do under 18, and I gave you one. Just because someone might not spend a lot of time doing it (cough EMS cough) doesn't mean others don't do it for a profession.

First, you can not use the military for several reasons.

1. If they are under 18 they need to be emancipated or have their parents permission.

Does EMS do that?

2. Once enlisted, they are stripped of everything they have learned and retrained on everything to include how to groom oneself, eat, clean and then there is even more rigorous training on how to be a leader, a follower, and display respect and develop a sense of ethics.

They are also sent to a camp free of distractions for how many weeks and for how many hours do they study?

Does EMS do that?

So no, you can not compare the initial training or age requirements of EMS and the military...it is a moot point for this particular issue.

Again I echo Sasha's question...