EMT-B Class Advice

kaaatielove

Forum Crew Member
I love hemostasts. Getting off tight caps, hanging tape off your shirt, temporarily managing lines, clamping foleys, etc. Oh and clamping arterial bleeds of course :ph34r:

I use them in the hospital for my tape so it doesn't get gross in my pocket..

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I love hemostasts. Getting off tight caps, hanging tape off your shirt, temporarily managing lines, clamping foleys, etc. Oh and clamping arterial bleeds of course :ph34r:

In a hospital sure. But in an ambulance, you really need your own personal set?

As for getting tight caps off, helps to be a man...

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
In a hospital sure. But in an ambulance, you really need your own personal set?

As for getting tight caps off, helps to be a man...

I am sure you can find more uses for a hemostat than many of the other random tools people carry.

:rolleyes:

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I am sure you can find more uses for a hemostat than many of the other random tools people carry.

:rolleyes:

Not me, but this guy...

MV5BMTM4MDIwNjYyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODUxNjcyMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

JPINFV

Gadfly
Side note, why does anyone carry hemostats?

I carry a tube clamp. It helps to turn those hospital wall bumpers into an instant coat rack if I need to take my coat off.

OP
OP
Backblast

Backblast

Forum Crew Member
Well, that was fun! Basic class has been a blast! I've learned a ton, had great preceptors and experiences in clinicals and done well on quizzes and testing. We take finals on Wednesday.

Next challenge is paramedic school, which starts on Thursday, the day after basic class ends. There are 3 of us moving on to paramedic class (all 3 of us have previous medical experience) and 2 going to intermediate class. Almost time to say goodbye to family and friends for the next year. :)

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Well, that was fun! Basic class has been a blast! I've learned a ton, had great preceptors and experiences in clinicals and done well on quizzes and testing. We take finals on Wednesday.

Next challenge is paramedic school, which starts on Thursday, the day after basic class ends. There are 3 of us moving on to paramedic class (all 3 of us have previous medical experience) and 2 going to intermediate class. Almost time to say goodbye to family and friends for the next year. :)
Great to hear about your experience in B school. You should now be starting to see how nursing (you're an LVN) and EMS are different animals that share some of the same things: the patient and some skills. That will become further evident as you progress through P school. Just remember that when you're done, you'll have to remember which hat you're wearing at what time because it's no bueno to exceed your authorized scope, even though you're well trained/educated in whatever it is you'd want to do.

My tips for P school: Read ahead, stay ahead, be in class, have fun, and learn why you're doing something.