EMS With Felonies

SkyRider

Forum Ride Along
ccc55555: I have been an EMT, Paramedic and then an EMT again in California. All the EMS Agencies require a background check. All the companies, public and private, require a background check. I obtained my EMT in 1982, my Paramedic in 1987 and retired in 1995. In 2009 I recertified my EMT to go back into the field for experience because I want to teach EMS. I went through hell getting my EMT Cert from Riverside, as well as other counties trying to get my county certs and obtain a job. In 2 1/2 years since I went back to school and got my cert, I have gotten 0 calls from applications I have put in. (Over 75 applications)

I have a misdemeanor conviction from 2006. The conviction was dismissed and expunged from my record in 2008, but each and every preliminary check agencies do, whether field or hospital, have put my application in the round file because the background check comes up with the misdemeanor conviction based on what the original arrest warrant was. I have contacted an attorney friend of mine and he says there is nothing he can do to get the information corrected with the companies that do the background checks.

Given that you have the conviction that includes injury to another person, it is very doubtful you will get anywhere with your attempt to work as an EMT.

I am sorry, but it will be very difficult and very expensive to overcome this.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Good answer...but what exactly qualifies you to "teach EMS" when you, by your own admission, have literally been out of the field for 18 years?

SkyRider

Forum Ride Along
Rocketmedic40.......I reread my post and nothing in there says I thought I was currently qualified to teach anything. I said I want to teach. The whole point of returning to the field is to start the process of teaching. I have to return to the field, get the experience based on new protocols and regulations, then move on from there.

Please don't interject your opinions about me unless you have the FACTS correct. It is very disturbing to be judged based something I did not say.

As a matter of fact, when I took my EMT course in 2009, and I have renewed my CPR course several times in the last 3 decades, I have always assisted the instructors with the skills portion of the courses after I have passed all my skills with flying colors. I have not represented myself as being currently qualified to teach.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Wow, grumpy much?

original.jpg

SkyRider

Forum Ride Along
That's right. Never get let the obvious fool you. Always assess everything lest you have to "give little Tiffany an apology"

dkelley5

Forum Probie
Why should your past judge your future

Humans are not perfect. People make mistakes in life. Lets say your kids or yourself is starving you have zero dollars and no help from anyone or any organization. You go out and write a check for food. Check is returned NSF and is subsequently not paid within the states required time frame. Which in alabama is 10 days and anything over 20 is a felony. So now you have a record and are considered a convicted felon. Does that make you a bad person. One who can't be trusted. I am in that boat. I have done the scenario listed above. I told the shopkeeper that the check I handed him was worthless and he said " let's run it and see what happens". The law here says that if the shopkeeper has knowledge that the instrument can be honored then the subject can be convicted however I was and am on camera saying the check was worthless. Now will the great minds on here please explain to me how you use ones past to judge his current and future circumstances. Remember before 1970 background checks were in their infancy and companies were great, profitable and you never heard someone going postal. Fast forward to today and background checks are abundant, inaccurate and all these good people you speak of are going postal. If a pt dies under your care and was due to medical negligence shouldn't that be murder. If you fail to perform a duty shouldn't that be negligence of duties. If you fail to do a rig check should you be fired immediately and banned from operating any vehicle. In essence people are saying that once you commit a crime it should follow you forever. But please point to me where as part of the punishment the judge orders that after you serve your time that you are to report your conviction or that it should be on a background report.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Probably the part where its a felony crime...

dkelley5

Forum Probie
sentencing

Probably the part where its a felony crime...

No where in a judges order does it say Mr. Abc you need to report this to all employers. What i do know it said you are to serve 3 years with those 3 suspended 1 year of supervised probation. Once a person has served their time that should be it. Never again should it come up on some report.
Some states are actually craftng legislation that once you serve the sentence that the JUDGE gave then your record is expunged immediatly.
But remember this murders are usually given life sentences wether it be incarceration or lifetime parole. Same for sexual convicts, who are also ordered by the judge to register with all jurisdixtions they live in r travel to. But remember the judge didnt ordered that ABC background services to report it.
I believe our laws are foolish. The constitution was suppose to guarentee certain rights that couldnt be taken away. But they are such rules as felons with no guns laws. How can he protect his family. Should the law makers go to jail when someone kills a felon kids bc he couldnt protect them.
I for one believe once you serve a sntence it is over and you should never hear about it or see anything about it again. I know people that committed crimes that are more honest then people who didnt.
And a feather for your cap. No where in Alabama law does is state that police cars, ambulances, or fire trucks are exempt from stopping at traffic control devices. So should these honest people be ticketed for first offense arrested for a misdemeanor th seconf time and arrested for a felony the third timd

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
The percentage of recidivism is well above 50%. I think that's something employers should know and then be allowed to decide if they want to gamble on employing a felon who has a greater than 50% chance of committing another crime.

http://bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=17

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
In essence people are saying that once you commit a crime it should follow you forever. But please point to me where as part of the punishment the judge orders that after you serve your time that you are to report your conviction or that it should be on a background report.

These are good points.

I think a good argument can be made that "permanent criminal status" is not only unjust, but that it causes more problems than it solves.

A pattern of criminal behavior is one thing. Making a few poor choices as a young person is another.

Is society helped by creating a situation where the convict will never be able to find gainful employment? Does the inability to advance oneself make the convict less or more likely to re-offend?

dkelley5

Forum Probie
The percentage of recidivism is well above 50%. I think that's something employers should know and then be allowed to decide if they want to gamble on employing a felon who has a greater

Bc society enables recidivism. We prohibit jobs, restrict benefits and training etc. Explain this you smoke weed in one state your a felon in another you smoke weed openly and legal. Is one person an honest law abiding citizen and the other isnt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Achilles

Forum Moron
The percentage of recidivism is well above 50%. I think that's something employers should know and then be allowed to decide if they want to gamble on employing a felon who has a greater

Bc society enables recidivism. We prohibit jobs, restrict benefits and training etc. Explain this you smoke weed in one state your a felon in another you smoke weed openly and legal. Is one person an honest law abiding citizen and the other isnt.
So we should allow rapists to be school teachers? Marijuana is illegal on a fedral level. You don't like it than chabge it.

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
The percentage of recidivism is well above 50%. I think that's something employers should know and then be allowed to decide if they want to gamble on employing a felon who has a greater than 50% chance of committing another crime.
http://bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=17

Time is key here. Nobody wants to employ a felon, and yet there's a big difference between someone with multiple charges over a span of time or of recent date compared to the individual with a felony charge in distant history. People should be able to overcome their mistakes in my opinion and that's particularly important when looking at the disparity of crimes. Violent crimes are a much different animal than non-violent.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
So we should allow rapists to be school teachers?
Marijuana is illegal on a fedral level. You don't like it than chabge it.

Women voting was once illegal on a federal level.

Slavery was once legal on a federal level.

Alcohol was once illegal on a federal level.

Does a federal law automatically make something right or wrong?

Does breaking a federal law automatically make one a bad person, with no hope of redemption, ever?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

You cannot legally smoke pot openly anywhere and not violate state law either. This includes Colorado and Washington.

Achilles

Forum Moron
Women voting was once illegal on a federal level.

Slavery was once legal on a federal level.

Alcohol was once illegal on a federal level.

Does a federal law automatically make something right or wrong?

Does breaking a federal law automatically make one a bad person, with no hope of redemption, ever?

The poster used that (marijuana) as an example, that's why I said if he didnt like it change it, don't whine about it.
Something tells me rape wont change as a felony, although I'm sure you'll try to find a way! :wacko:
Being right or wrong is more of an opinion.
Although I'm sure most law abiding citizens would agree that murder is wrong as is rape.