EMS With Felonies

dkelley5

Forum Probie
Felonies

Just plain and simple we put to much in trying to figure out ones past. Instead of trying to improve his future. Past shouldnt dictate futre

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Just plain and simple we put to much in trying to figure out ones past. Instead of trying to improve his future. Past shouldnt dictate futre

In some cases yes it should.

Ace 227

Forum Lieutenant
As has been mentioned, its all about liability for the hiring company. Until we have a better definition of a person at high risk for committing a crime, "felon" is as good as we are going to get and that is the definition that will be used. Regardless of personal opinion on right and wrong.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Are you able to get a state paramedic license with a felony?

I know in my state, and many others, a felony and even some misdemeanors will keep you from obtaining a RN license. You must list all arrests and convictions on the application. If you do not list something and it pops up on their background check you will automatically be rejected. Each crime is evaluated on a case by case basis but from what I understand it is pretty much impossible to argue.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader

We go into people's homes when they are most vulnerable. To maintain the public trust, we need to have this accountability.

CFal

Forum Captain
you know what? call me a jerk if you want, but if you have two felony convictions, find another career. could you become a career firefighter? what about a cop? maybe a teacher?

oh wait, they all do background checks to prevent convicted felons from working in their fields, to prevent from losing the public's trust.

it's time we raised our standards and did the same.

The union sued the RISP a few years back after a trooper was fired for being convicted of felony perjury and the union won the lawsuit.

dkelley5

Forum Probie
Felonies

As I have said before in my last post. We try to hard to figure out someones past to predict their future. Which rarely is ever true. I know people who from the age of 21 -29 commited numerous felonies. Then have been at least ten years without another conviction, but yet still find it hard to get a job. why should that be. It shouldnt. And in all states the records can be expunged at 10 years upon a judges order.
What as a nation we should do is help someone better there future. I have a close friend that owns a company that has several departments in it spread over 5 states. He has hired several felons convicted of things from bank robbery to home invasion. Not once in his 25 year ownership has he had one of them commit a crime against him, his business or other employees. On the other hand he has one elder lady committed embezzlement, and two guys commited fraud. So should he be liable to his customers for this. These were "honest" people.
When someone commits a crime whether it be felony or misdeameanor that is a moment in time. Am I a bad person because I wrote worthless checks to feed my family. No. I would have been if I let my family starve to death. I even told the shop keepers there was no money in the account, I am on video saying it, and it was wrote on the front of the check that the account was empty. His words to me was lets run it and see what happens.
Am I worse than the man that kills an intruder that is raping his wife. Murder is the act of killing someone. Only in America do we add that there is legal murder and illegal murder. So where is that line drawn. We both committed a crime. We both were defending our families. Mine against starvation, his against the intruder.
Only is this great nation of ours do we write a constitution. And in that same document write that these rights cant be taken away. But then add an admendment to it saying that people convicted of certain crimes shouldnt possess a weapon, vote, or hold office, or obtain certain jobs. We as a nation are hypocritical. We go to our homes and teach our children that all people have rights, and that we shouldnt judge people, and that we can forgive people. But yet we as adults go into the real world and do just the opposite.
Why cant a man that wrote bad checks ride on a ambulance to save lives. Why cant the man convicted of drug dealing work at a bank. Why cant the man that broke into a home become a car salesman. None of their crimes have anything to do with their jobs. Because someone did something 20 minutes ago doesnt mean they will do it again in the future, or on company premises or in company vehicles.
Just to be clear for the ones that are felons out there. Every state licensing agency has an appeal process. I know many many people that have appealed their license denial and won the appeal. I know many companies that employ felons and are happy with their conduct. I personally know many owners who prefer felons over "honest" people because the felons have already been on the other side of the law and know they dont wont to go back there. And yes I know many supervisors, medics, corporate staff, and EMT who are happily employed with AMR.

Thanks and have a blessed day,:)

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
It sounds like you are biased and have a chip on your shoulder.

Is a person with a felony automatically a bad person? No
Is a person without a felony automatically a good person? No

Should a person's legal history be taken into account when applying for jobs? Absolutely. But as you said type and date of crime should be considered.

Given two applicants with equal qualifications except one has a felony conviction who would a company hire? Your "been on the otherwise of the law" excuse doesn't really hold much weight to most people.

Last edited by a moderator:

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I don't advocate that felons should be prohibited from all employment. People can put their past behind them, and I applaud those who do.
Certain jobs do require people to have clean background checks, no matter the circumstances.
Childcare, public safety, healthcare, and some financial jobs do require their employees to be free of felonies. I understand not all crimes are equal and there is a difference between someone who just did a crime vs. one who has been clean for 20 years. The line has to be drawn somewhere though. No one forced people to commit these crimes, and plenty of people in difficult circumstances still manage to keep their record clean.

dkelley5

Forum Probie
Felonies

I don't advocate that felons should be prohibited from all employment. People can put their past behind them, and I applaud those who do.
Certain jobs do require people to have clean background checks, no matter the circumstances.
Childcare, public safety, healthcare, and some financial jobs do require their employees to be free of felonies. I understand not all crimes are equal and there is a difference between someone who just did a crime vs. one who has been clean for 20 years. The line has to be drawn somewhere though. No one forced people to commit these crimes, and plenty of people in difficult circumstances still manage to keep their record clean.

I do advocate that no felon should be prohibited from any job unless a judge ordered it. I can understand a murdere, or sexual offender. Because the JUDGE ordered life time parole for them or lifetime enrollment, or to be so far away from children etc. No where it judges orders does it say that john doe you wrote bad checks you cant be employed at the bank or at the Medic station. I believe the only reprecussions should be the one that the Judge Orders because that is his job to Judge

dkelley5

Forum Probie
Felonies

It sounds like you are biased and have a chip on your shoulder.

Is a person with a felony automatically a bad person? No
Is a person without a felony automatically a good person? No

Should a person's legal history be taken into account when applying for jobs? Absolutely. But as you said type and date of crime should be considered.

Given two applicants with equal qualifications except one has a felony conviction who would a company hire? Your "been on the otherwise of the law" excuse doesn't really hold much weight to most people.

But the answer the question why should the past of those two people determine who gets the job. Ones criminal past shouldnt ever come into play once he has served out his sentence. Which the Judge Orders.
As far as the chip on my shoulder. I dont. I am just adamently against companies that discriminate against felons. The company isnt the court, nor the Judge. The judge handed down his sentence and that should be the only punishments.
As far as the previous post about changing the law. Most states are already considering that once a sentence has been completed that was handed down by the Judge then it should never be made public record again and for the records that have been made public they will be no longer good nor verified
And just a kicker. I am a felon that has a TS Clearance through the Army. I had to simply appeal and won it on appeal. So why can the goverment say it is okay and not some Joe who owns a company. doest add up does it.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I do advocate that no felon should be prohibited from any job unless a judge ordered it. I can understand a murdere, or sexual offender. Because the JUDGE ordered life time parole for them or lifetime enrollment, or to be so far away from children etc. No where it judges orders does it say that john doe you wrote bad checks you cant be employed at the bank or at the Medic station. I believe the only reprecussions should be the one that the Judge Orders because that is his job to Judge

Have you considered that your lack of success may not be entirely due to your past criminal history? Your writing, your mannerisms...frankly, I would have to think very hard before I even granted you a follow-up interview if your application, resume and such were written as they are here, or if I knew about the chip on your shoulder.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I think you're going to have a hard time drumming up support for this issue of yours. Most of us, working in EMS or fire, have done the right thing. We've kept our records clean and stayed out of jail. Now, I'm sure some of us have written bad checks, driven too fast or broken other laws. But if were working in EMS, we managed to pass the background check. Unfortunately, you live in a state where passing a bad check is a felony. That's bad luck for you. You will have a hard time getting a job in EMS with felonies on your record.

Look, I don't know if you're a good guy or bad guy. I don't know if you're a hard worker or you slack off all day. But I will say this; If I were a hiring manager, I would see that you have a felony on your record and I would simply move on to the next applicant that had a clean background check. That's the way of the world. People in Public Safety are held to a higher standard.

Of course, you may be able to have your record expunged. If so, congratulations. Otherwise, you're stuck.

dkelley5

Forum Probie
Felonies

Have you considered that your lack of success may not be entirely due to your past criminal history? Your writing, your mannerisms...frankly, I would have to think very hard before I even granted you a follow-up interview if your application, resume and such were written as they are here, or if I knew about the chip on your shoulder.

Somehow you construed from my post that I am not successful. Please define successful to me. As far as my success I will list them for you.
I own two convience stores and co-own a Dominos Franchise w/ my brother. I Recently retired from the Active duty Army.
Am happily married, with one kid and one on the way. Was recently hired on with the State Police will be attending training in the next month. And will be working on my EMT-P licensure.

But I dont consider that sucess. That is me building a life for me, my wife, and my children. So that they can achieve things bigger and better than me.

I have walked the other side of the law. I have been through the court rooms of america, through the court rooms of the army. Mistakes are just that. They are something that had already been done and cant be undone. Never however should they dictate your future. That is my argument. I am the perfect example of why it shouldn't.
My father has hired felons hand over hand and never has he had any issues with them. However with the honest people three have screwed him over in the last few years. HMMMMMM.
I have never hidden from my employers my criminal past. I have several charges. At first glance people say wow boy you did it all. But then when they hear the truth from people, and now what is written on paper they say boy you are an honest guy.
My charges read 1st degree theft not to include firearms or motor vehicles. The truth I wrote a 15.55$ bad check. The next charge reads 1st degree theft not to include firearms or motor vehicles. The truth is I wrote a 10.25$ check. Counts 3-12 read 2nd degree theft not to include firearms or motor vehicles. truth I wrote 10 checks ranging from 1.25$ to 7$. count 13-14 read theft 3rd degree not to include firearms or motor vehicles . reality i charged 3.25 to a store account and never paid it. and count 15 reads Theft by taking 1st degree for taking the items outside the store for counts 1-14.
I did what I did. I paid back the owner. However the mistake cant be undone. Should that keep me from employment never should it. Never has it. Nor will it ever.

dkelley5

Forum Probie
Felonies

I think you're going to have a hard time drumming up support for this issue of yours. Most of us, working in EMS or fire, have done the right thing. We've kept our records clean and stayed out of jail. Now, I'm sure some of us have written bad checks, driven too fast or broken other laws. But if were working in EMS, we managed to pass the background check. Unfortunately, you live in a state where passing a bad check is a felony. That's bad luck for you. You will have a hard time getting a job in EMS with felonies on your record.

Look, I don't know if you're a good guy or bad guy. I don't know if you're a hard worker or you slack off all day. But I will say this; If I were a hiring manager, I would see that you have a felony on your record and I would simply move on to the next applicant that had a clean background check. That's the way of the world. People in Public Safety are held to a higher standard.

Of course, you may be able to have your record expunged. If so, congratulations. Otherwise, you're stuck.

I agree with what your saying. However if the applications was to read have you ever done anything that wasnt right. Would that be considered fair.
I didnt come on this forum asking for support. Someone else actually started the thread I happened upon it.
From my own hiring to me hiring others I have never looked at criminal history. On none of my applications at the three places I own do I even have it listed. Nor does my dad at his businesses. your past is exactly that YOUR past and has nothing to do with me.

dkelley5

Forum Probie
Felonies

I understand if you did it one or two times...it happens. But 15 times?

They were all written within a two day period to the same shopowner. As I said in previous post. On the front of all the checks it is wrote THERE IS NO MONEY In THIS ACCOUNT. And I am on video telling the shopowner that there is no money in the account. And all checks were wrote for food to live on;)