EMS = Perversion?

c-spine

Forum Lieutenant
This may be a really dumb question - but are there any EMS professionals that aren't perverted? I'm an instructor's aide in the EMT-B class that I just graduated from. It's both Tuesday and Thursday nights with 2 different classes. Tuesday, one of the aides is hounding me to sleep with him. I haven't had any students try it yet. Thursday, one of the first responder students that I know is in that class. He's completely trying to get in my pants.

Are there any normal people in EMS? ((I know I'm not one of them, I'm just curious))

:p

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Tell the instructor if it persists. It is inappropriate, unprofessional, and a conflict of interests. The instructor should want to protect his/her rep by protecting you and cutting off the inappropriate behavior. Maybe it's as simple as not speaking to specific people, but a general announcement to the class. It's called "sexual harrassment" in most places...

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Are there any normal people in EMS? ((I know I'm not one of them, I'm just curious))

That's not really perverted. It's closer to "harrassment."

Perverted is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken. Errr, I mean.. bugging you like that is crossing a line that shouldn't be crossed. If y'all are partying after work/school, that's a different story but while at school.. umm.. no. :)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Yeah... that is crossing a line.

To an extent, we in EMS are crude and push the limits, but that is too much.

BrandoEMT

Forum Crew Member
All I can say is what c-spine is describing is my EMT-B class all over again!!! The instructor slept with a student and somehow didn't get a divorce because of it....oh well...no, EMS, law enforcement and everyone is completely perverse...I had an excellent mentor in High School though and I've grown from there.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
OK, perverted is they boys in my PM class. We're learning about advanced airway. The way they remember what were looking for to pass the tube through...

Well it looks, to them, like a vagina. So they say oh look, its the "air"-gina.

and as were intubating in class, you can hear...

"I see MY tube, slidding into the air-gina"

Yep...somehow I don't think the NR examiners will see the humor...

Now with you...an instructor sleeping with or trying to sleep with student is crossing the line. Unacceptable.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Unfortunately, you are correct there are very few that is "not perverted". This is has been the "gest" of the business, since its creation. Not an excuse, just a fact. As well, the reason why we do not get the respect, pay, and professional recognition we should be getting from our peers. Now, unfortunately I am seeing both sexes allowing and increasing this type of behavior.

I highly recommend to refer to your school's personal manual and to report this incidence to your administration prior to any action. In the instructor role (even as an aide), it is usually very important to verbally speak to him (I would have another instructor as a witness) and document the time and event, saying etc.. This is to save your reputation and potential conflicts. Be respectful, and be sure this is away from the classroom, and to use a non-confrontational manner, but be blunt. Hopefully, this will settle and cease the matter. . This is a very serious matter and needs to be addressed, but please take action.

Other students, (whom will be looking for a reaction of some kind) will notice the immediate cessation of this student and will gain and have more respect for you. As well by doing so you will be setting an unannounced example to others as well.

I have taught as a professional educator at many setting from Universities to in-house training programs, and too have seen many reputations and wrong doings from instructors and students both alike.

This might be the lesson taught to him early on.. and to demonstrate there are those that have professional standards.

Good luck,
R/r 911

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Short and simple.. very few that arent.. The main reason I wont date anyone involved in the emergency services.. they all get around..

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Short and simple.. very few that arent.. The main reason I wont date anyone involved in the emergency services.. they all get around..

I'm sorry. I think I misunderstand. Are you saying EVERYONE in EMS "gets around"?

Or are you saying once you start dating someone in EMS, the news gets around.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
perverted, huh?

Let's see, are you cute? ;)

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Let's see, are you cute? ;)

HA! Look, Luno disappears for weeks....sometimes months at a time...and look what he does when he first comes back...

OF COURSE she's cute! Shes an EMS Lady right?

They guy as the gas station I go to tells me everyday just how cute a EMS Chick is..... Lets see if I can make it family friendly for you...As he leans over the counter, the lil perv actually licked his lips one morning...Its something like .....

"Girl. You are gosh dang pretty too look at in that uniform. Think you might want to join me in my bed for some enjoyable fun. I promise you will be saying my name in an elevated voice."

gradygirl

TROUBLE
Darlin', you know better than anyone about both of our situations...and yep, just about everyone in EMS is perverted. I think it comes with the territory.

Now, about what that other aide is doing, that's just stupid and I'm sure somewhat uncomfortable. Blegh, unwanted advances...that's why my Myspace page is now private. Hahaha.

Is Paragod aware of what's going on? If not, make sure he knows. I know the Stud would want to know if I ran into something like that. ;)

Oh and Princess, I think the better thing to say is that she'a an EMTLife Lady, cause some of them other EMS ladies ain't much to look at...

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
This may be a really dumb question - but are there any EMS professionals that aren't perverted? I'm an instructor's aide in the EMT-B class that I just graduated from. It's both Tuesday and Thursday nights with 2 different classes. Tuesday, one of the aides is hounding me to sleep with him. I haven't had any students try it yet. Thursday, one of the first responder students that I know is in that class. He's completely trying to get in my pants.

Depends on your definition of perversion...it's a very subjective topic. Man (singular) has always wanted women (plural). Since when is this perverted, it's biology. What's wrong is that they hound you. This is harassment plain and simple. They shouldn't be allowed to get away with it. Don't encourage them in any way. I had a really hot emt instructor aid in my class and I just about went crazy inside but never showed it because I knew I had to be a professional first and foremost.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Having worked teenage jobs, in an office, in another office, and yet another, and in several schools, I can tell you that few people are more perverted than those in EMS.

I could go on and on about the "EMS Type" but I wont. I think you know or have met "the type" <_<

Others may think it, sometimes they verbalize it, but never like EMS.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
C-Spine I'm with the rest of the gang, That's not perverse, it's harassment and don't you dare stand for it. I'm probably the most preverse person I know, and while the jokes may fly all over the place in EMS half of them either don't know what they're talking about or have never done it.

And as far as the EMS ladies, I agree it should be EMTLife ladies, Half the women who work for our system look like men, and the really skinny ones of course think they're the hottest thing since sliced bread. You can imagine the reaction when I got there!!...they couldn't contain themselves. But I stood my ground and flashed my wedding ring and we all got along well. :p

gradygirl

TROUBLE
Now, this might just be my area or my friends, but does anyone else have their EMT/medic friends ask them if they're naked just about every time they talk to you? Without fail, I am asked by ever guy EMT/medic I know if I'm naked when I talk to them on the phone... :huh:

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Now, this might just be my area or my friends, but does anyone else have their EMT/medic friends ask them if they're naked just about every time they talk to you?

Not just my EMS friends, but friends in general. Its like yea, I told you I was on my way to WalMart to go grocery shopping, but I figured I'd strip naked before I went to see if I could get any better deals.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Not just my EMS friends, but friends in general. Its like yea, I told you I was on my way to WalMart to go grocery shopping, but I figured I'd strip naked before I went to see if I could get any better deals.
BEST. POST. EVER!

Automatic win for the Princess!