EMS Deserts in Connecticut

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
Is there such thing as EMS Desert? I saw this article on NBC Connecticut.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
This exists in many states. I can attest several areas in Maine had this issue pre-Covid and now since then it has become way worse and crept into areas which did not have the issue. There is a service right now that is hiring Travel Paramedics for 13 weeks due to their extreme staffing shortages. Unsure where they think replacement staff will come from at the end of 13 weeks, unless they are banking on recruiting a few of those to full time during their stint.

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
My place of employment is extremely short on medics, and not uncommon for whole county to be level zero at time ( or no immediate ambulances available). They are also using travel medics on 30-60 rotations.
I recently transferred to another county due to distance and am the only new medic to be hired in last few orientation classes, with this county also offering a higher hourly rate

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Colorado only requires by state statue that counties provide law enforcement and wildfire suppression. There are many rural areas in this state that have no designated EMS response and ambulances respond out of district as a courtesy with enourmous response times. Even the county that I work in has a contract allowing for 90 minute response times for emergent calls in "frontier" zones.