EMS boots.

Trauma Queen

Forum Crew Member
Heroes wear Haix.

But seriously, I love my Haix more than anything. They're the most comfortable boot I've ever owned, they're durable, and have great tread and grip. Haix also offers free re-toe and re-sole services, as long as you care for them. They're also waterproof, bloodborne, steel-toed, and all that fun stuff. I also find them to not make my feet sweat, which is a gross thing to pay attention to, but I never get nasty boot-foot. Which is wonderful.

I'm not sure how they would hold up hiking, but mine have held up with almost a year of rough city work with no wear and tear. Anything that gets scuffed can easily be shined out. They're pricey, but totally worth the investment.

Sunburn

Forum Crew Member
Shouldn't you get a pair with your work uniform?
I got issued my work uniform Sixton Cupra (can't link yet, Google them)
They're great. Comfy, sturdy, light. Great for city work. I would preferred ankle support but that's more of a personal preference than anything

Zimmermann4588

Forum Ride Along
I wear s a pair of side zipped, steel toed Bates boots. I thought the steel toes were a bit of overkill until someone accidentally ran over my foot with a patient filled stryker .

OP
OP
COmedic17

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Shouldn't you get a pair with your work uniform?
I got issued my work uniform Sixton Cupra (can't link yet, Google them)
They're great. Comfy, sturdy, light. Great for city work. I would preferred ankle support but that's more of a personal preference than anything
There's a stipend for them.

IMO issuing boots would be silly, as everyone has different preferences.

Sunburn

Forum Crew Member
Yeah, everyone has their preferences, but we got uniforms that conform to safety standards. I may work in different boots but if I get hurt and am not in work issue boots I'm out of luck for work comp and full paid sick leave.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
As long as your boots meet the department standards, it shouldn'd matter if they're Danner, Haix, 5.11 or whatever.

Sunburn

Forum Crew Member
And that is apparently the difference between my and your work - we don't get standards, we get equipment. If you hate it tough luck, still gotta wear it :p

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
Apologies but I can't in good faith read about people recommending zippered boots and steel toe caps for hiking/patient extrication in mountainous areas. Not sure what part of CO you are operating in, but the last time I was there the rockies weren't a joke. Anyone reading for the sake of argument- if you are going up mountains for god's sake don't wear zippered boots and/or steel toe caps.

...in summary...if you want to wear whatever tacticool boot sitting in an ambulance or around the streets then crack on...but do not play around with crap/unsuitable equipment and footwear when it comes to mountainous operations.

Ive picked up too many idiots exposed on the side of 'the hill' to sit here and read bad advice (mostly folks who look like they've been drop kicked through REI and collected all the random crap during their journey).

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Apologies but I can't in good faith read about people recommending zippered boots and steel toe caps for hiking/patient extrication in mountainous areas. Not sure what part of CO you are operating in, but the last time I was there the rockies weren't a joke. Anyone reading for the sake of argument- if you are going up mountains for god's sake don't wear zippered boots and/or steel toe caps.

...in summary...if you want to wear whatever tacticool boot sitting in an ambulance or around the streets then crack on...but do not play around with crap/unsuitable equipment and footwear when it comes to mountainous operations.

Ive picked up too many idiots exposed on the side of 'the hill' to sit here and read bad advice (mostly folks who look like they've been drop kicked through REI and collected all the random crap during their journey).

This x1,000, we had a guy during the fire season who wore station boots (on our pt hikes NOT on fires) with a zipper and steel toe caps to break them in. Now our hikes are a good workout but its nothing extremely terrible (about 2 miles depending on the hike) and he made it about half a mile before it felt like his feet were going to fall off. Long story short after putting bandaids on multiple blisters he walked back to the engine to get his Whites.

Some people like to wear zippered boots with steel toes for hiking and thats just fine, you're a adult and you can make your own decisions. But when your feet are hurting at the end of the day just remember that is probably wasn't the best idea to wear that type of boot for a hike. Also I'm going to say this again, try on a couple different brands and walk around the store with them on, this will help you decide what works best for you.

OP
OP
COmedic17

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm talking about the zipper that is laced in with laces, on the front.

I don't like boots that zip up the side. I get zero ankle support.

I'm also completely flat footed so anything with an arch support is very painful.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Most boot threads seem to always devolve into "this is what I wear and it's the best. i am not going to substantiate this claim."

Friends, read the OPs question. If you think you wear something that fits the OPs scenario, say why!

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
Most boot threads seem to always devolve into "this is what I wear and it's the best. i am not going to substantiate this claim."

Friends, read the OPs question. If you think you wear something that fits the OPs scenario, say why!

who are you talking about? the majority of people on here have given a brand of boot they prefer and reasons why?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
who are you talking about? the majority of people on here have given a brand of boot they prefer and reasons why?
There are several posts on this page...

Maybe I just dislike boot threads. The best boot is the one that fits you, and no one can tell you that.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
There are several posts on this page...

Maybe I just dislike boot threads. The best boot is the one that fits you, and no one can tell you that.

That isn't true when it comes to working in search and rescue in the mountains though.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
That isn't true when it comes to working in search and rescue in the mountains though.
It certainly still is. There is a reason why I only wear Asolo hiking boots at work, they are what fits my feet and that is of utmost importance when we get into the backcountry.

I'll back track and say it's helpful to get a list of potentially suitable boots to go try on though. In this situation though, most uniform boots are not going to cut it unless they are also for wildfire use and personally I find those to be overkill for hiking.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
It certainly still is. There is a reason why I only wear Asolo hiking boots at work, they are what fits my feet and that is of utmost importance when we get into the backcountry.

I'll back track and say it's helpful to get a list of potentially suitable boots to go try on though. In this situation though, most uniform boots are not going to cut it unless they are also for wildfire use and personally I find those to be overkill for hiking.

I've rescued men (and women) from mountainsides because their 'comfortable' boots were not suitable for hiking- they fell apart halfway up the hill. Obviously Asolo boots are for hiking- that's fine...but it is another thing to say 'any boot is fine as long as it is comfortable'. Sticking on a pair of magnums, and going up 4500 feet is going to leave your feet exposed to the elements, and there comes the risk of cold-weather related injuries.

Steel toe caps will crimp your feet on any serious hike (many people are inexperienced at hiking/climbing, and may read advice on this forum about steel toe-caps being great for hiking in austere environments might not know this).

Zippered boots are at risk of breaking, which obviously isn't ideal when you're a good distance from the bottom of the hill. They can also get clogged with mud, snow etc...meaning more likely to break. If the zippers get frozen they are not functioning correctly either: your feet swell when hiking, if your boots are too tight and your zipper is laced to it how do you vent your feet or relieve the pressure when hiking. Metal zips are also...metal, you touch them with your bare hands below certain degrees then you can injure your fingers that way.

When I say 'rescued' I do not mean as a paramedic: I am an arctic and mountain warfare instructor. Meaning a large part of my military background was spending time up mountains and having the fortune to gain a lot of experience with cold-weather related injuries as well as the climbing expertise. Ive also pulled people off the hill who thought as the weather was great they could go up mountains in shorts and tshirts- without realising mountains can have their own unique weather system meaning any weather can happen at anytime. If you still disagree after reading this mate, well theres nothing more I can say to you really!

OP
OP
COmedic17

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Maybe it's me whose being too vague.

I'm looking for a boot - with NO arch support ( I'm flat footed ) that's good for steep grade, short to medium distance hiking. It is a rocky hike, not trail material. If that helps.

People have this habit of rolling their cars into a said canyon in the county, and hiking down there isn't particularly long, but is pretty steep.