EMS boots.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
What are your favorite and why?

I have been doing just fine with my bates, but the time has come to buy new boots.

I have been looking at the USFBF rescue boot, but have not seen many reviews.

OP
OP
COmedic17

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I should probably add some calls up in the canyons/mountains require hiking to get to pts.

BlueJayMedic

Interrupting natural selection since 2010
I just got these Magnum stealth force, not sure if they are available in your area or not but they're great. (Don't mind the salt, weathers been terrible today)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4,291

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
If the hiking is not a regular every day thing, it might actually be better to buy a pair of good hiking boots and switch into those on the calls that require them. It might not be the most convenient but in all my experiences, nothing can replace a pair of good hiking boots when they are needed.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
Bring two sets of boots. One should be for day-to-day work one for rough terrain since you say youll be involved in that. Two reasons:

1- you want reliable boots, last thing you want to happen during extrication is boots falling apart (spare no expense for the hiking boots)
2- when you go from a rescue back to another regular job, you won't have to be concerned with your boots being covered in mud and soaked wet through leading to possible trench foot for the rest of the shift etc...not to mention your appearance will be better with your nice comfy shiny 'ambulance boots'

OP
OP
COmedic17

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Bring two sets of boots. One should be for day-to-day work one for rough terrain since you say youll be involved in that. Two reasons:

1- you want reliable boots, last thing you want to happen during extrication is boots falling apart (spare no expense for the hiking boots)
2- when you go from a rescue back to another regular job, you won't have to be concerned with your boots being covered in mud and soaked wet through leading to possible trench foot for the rest of the shift etc...not to mention your appearance will be better with your nice comfy shiny 'ambulance boots'
good idea! :) but any boot I have has to be water proof/water resistant. It's snowy and miserable here the better half of the year. Even the roads are pretty gross. The big thing I need with boots for off trail rescues is traction, which I'm having trouble finding.

BlueJayMedic

Interrupting natural selection since 2010
good idea! :) but any boot I have has to be water proof/water resistant. It's snowy and miserable here the better half of the year. Even the roads are pretty gross. The big thing I need with boots for off trail rescues is traction, which I'm having trouble finding.
Hopefully you find a two in one, I would imagine the two high quality boots you are lookin for will cost quite a bit. Are you required to have a safety toe as well? The magnums I spoke about are sturdy as hell zipped or unzipped and I haven't been slipping too bad in the whack of snow we've gotten lately. They also come in full waterproof I believe.

OP
OP
COmedic17

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Hopefully you find a two in one, I would imagine the two high quality boots you are lookin for will cost quite a bit. Are you required to have a safety toe as well? The magnums I spoke about are sturdy as hell zipped or unzipped and I haven't been slipping too bad in the whack of snow we've gotten lately. They also come in full waterproof I believe.
I am not required to have a safety toe, however I would prefer it. The big thing is the boots being waterproof and traction. There's few things I hate more then wet socks.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
I highly recommend against using boots with zips for mountainous terrain. Lowa Alpine boots can be polished and are extremely comfortable for regular day-to-day use.
I've used these in places ranging from antarctica to afghanistan:

http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/combat-gtx-ch-pt/2108680999/8

Can be a bit pricey but they'll last YEARS of the worst conditions.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
Women's Magnum Stealth Force don't have zippers. At least mine don't. (Just ignore the messy table )
image-56331c24768168492d4604344e58ddda8c30e95683d150d46321254b95eeb151-V.jpg

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I highly recommend against using boots with zips for mountainous terrain. Lowa Alpine boots can be polished and are extremely comfortable for regular day-to-day use.
I've used these in places ranging from antarctica to afghanistan:

http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/combat-gtx-ch-pt/2108680999/8

Can be a bit pricey but they'll last YEARS of the worst conditions.

I second this, you wouldn't want any zippered boot for mountainous hiking. I don't know the requirements set by your company for footwear, but look into not only Lowa but Danner (the U.S. made boot), Chippewa, Merrell (Ive heard is good), and if you want to spend the big bucks look into Whites, Nicks, and Drews boots. Also I would go into a store and try on a variety before buying.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Uniform boots make for crap hiking boots. Can you just wear subdued hiking boots? They won't have a safety toe but you'll be hard pressed to find any boot with safety toes that you can comfortably hike in.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
I've use my 5.11s on duty and wear them daily off duty. And I've hiked more than a few 3000 footers with them too. Zippers + laces. Pollishable, safety toe. I still wear my first pair from 2009.

OP
OP
COmedic17

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! :) I'm going to do some more research
Uniform boots make for crap hiking boots. Can you just wear subdued hiking boots? They won't have a safety toe but you'll be hard pressed to find any boot with safety toes that you can comfortably hike in.

I might buy some cheaper ( not cheap, just not overly pricey) hiking boots to switch in at work. I have some really nice merrells but I would rather not demolish those at work

Altitudes

Forum Crew Member
I have 5.11 8" ATACs. I like them a lot & love having the zipper. I wear them around off duty if it snowed or is snowing. Of course, I just got my first EMS job a few months ago, so these are the first & only pair I've ever bought so I don't have anything else to compare them to.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! :) I'm going to do some more research

I might buy some cheaper ( not cheap, just not overly pricey) hiking boots to switch in at work. I have some really nice merrells but I would rather not demolish those at work
I were my Asolos every day on the ambulance. They still look awesome at a year, and are super comfy given all that wear.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Check out the Haix Airpower line. They are equivalent to the USFBF (from what I can tell), but can be had for $100 less as factory seconds. Waterproof, front zip, extremely protective, supportive, and durable. I'm done with "tactical boots" made in China that are really just sneakers made to look like boots (Magnum, 5.11, Bates, etc). If it can't be rebuilt, it is junk that will have you walking funny in a year or two.

Last edited:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
IDK about for hiking, but Haix Airpower (R1 or R2) is probably the best EMS boot on the market. Waterproof, front zip, extremely protective, supportive, and durable. I'm done with "tactical boots" made in China that are really just sneakers made to look like boots (Magnum, 5.11, Bates, etc). If it can't be rebuilt (there are a handful of other brands besides Haix that qualify), it is junk that will have you walking funny in a year or two.
I am also a fan of the Haix. I've had mine 2 years and they are still in exelent condition. I wouldnt use them as a daily hiking boot but for the occasional call we get where we have to hike in they work exelent. The tread pattern is pretty aggressive. I have not had the chance to use them in the snow or ice.