EMS and Motorcycle accidents

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If you crash your bike can you claim your safety gear on insurance as part of the loss?

Most insurance companies have a $3000 minimum "additional accessories" part that is always part of the policy, and it may or may not cover safety gear. It's a toss up if there's no counterpart to the crash.

If you're hit by an idiot in a car, you bet the insurance company is coughing up for the safety gear to try to avoid a lawsuit. However, leather is resilient and can often stand several get-offs without any major repairs needed. Helmets on the other hand, need to be replaced after its first drop, even if it's from your kitchen table to the floor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Sounds like more of an ego thing than actually a medical need.

The purpose of medicine is to help people, not to cost them money without benefit or need.

For the actual riders out there could I ask a question?

If you crash your bike can you claim your safety gear on insurance as part of the loss?

IDK what the trauma docs issues are, they say that they want to do a full visual assesment of all trauma patients, and they do actually do so

I only cut to expose areas that are in pain or I suspect an injury based on the myriad of evidence.

Impulse

Forum Probie
Helmets on the other hand, need to be replaced after its first drop, even if it's from your kitchen table to the floor.

Ding ding ding.

Scary how many people do not know that. Or refuse to abid by it, because they really don't want to replace their Shoei or Arai.

I would like to see a statistic of how many gixxer riders go down, compared to others. Every squid I have scene riding, is more than likely on a gixxer 750, or even more startling, a liter bike.

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
Ding ding ding.

Scary how many people do not know that. Or refuse to abid by it, because they really don't want to replace their Shoei or Arai.

I would like to see a statistic of how many gixxer riders go down, compared to others. Every squid I have scene riding, is more than likely on a gixxer 750, or even more startling, a liter bike.

Squid? Are you military? Also I dont believe that one brand wrecks more then another. I actually applaud those that know they want more power then the 600 provides but dont want the litre bike therefore they choose the 750. Now out of the main 4 Suzuki I believe is the only one that makes the 750. Is there any tests that conclusively show a helmet goes bad after being dropped from X feet? Im asking more for personal knowledge.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Squid? Are you military?
Squid is sportbike slang. See picture.

squid-motorcycle-cartoon.jpg

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Ultimatley the hospital is going to cut the clothes of the minute they hit the table, and they don't care about cost of clothing

Our trauma criteria is pretty progressive, but most accidents involving a motorbike fulfill at least one of them. The trauma docs are quick with the scissors, and they have made it public knowledge they want trauma naked if you are bringing them a patient
Damn, he beat me to it. or maybe we just know and work with the same trauma doctors.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
More than other MVCs, try to reconstruct the kinematic sequence. Cars are basically big blocks you can toss together... but between the bike, the road, the other vehicles/obstacles/people, and the rider and his many bits and pieces, there are far more variables here. Did he lay down the bike or did he strike the obstacle upright? If upright, what angle, was he crushed? If he put it down, how did he hit the ground? And so forth.

One thing I have not been able to unpack the tea leaves on is the correlation between motorcycle damage and rider injury. Too confusing.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Ok, I live in a military town and a squid is usually a member of the navy. We call those guys organ donors.
In the instance of a pretty good wreck, those guys would be lucky to be organ donors.

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
Ding ding ding.

Really? I see more "squids" on Harleys. Sport bike riders are some of the safest, experienced, and most protected riders I've seen.

phideux

Forum Captain
Really? I see more "squids" on Harleys. Sport bike riders are some of the safest, experienced, and most protected riders I've seen.

You should be down here right now where I am, It is now "Black Bike Week". We have about 50,000 bikes in town, I'll bet less than 1,000 of those are Harleys, the rest are sport bikes.
Most protected??? I'd guess at least 45,000 of those folks riding around this week are not gonna be caught dead wearing a helmet. The uniform of the week is shorts, flip-flops, micro skirts, and bikinis. This is "Road Rash" week.
At least half of these folks are drinking, and you can smell alot of pot smoke in the air.
I cannot count the number of times I've been passed on the right, in a bicycle lane, by motorcycles this week, usually well above the speed limit. I was even passed, on the right, while running lights and sirens. I also can't count the number of idiots I've seen doing wheelies, in traffic, that's how the one girl lost a nipple. I also can't count the number of bikes I've seen splitting lanes too, illegal here and dangerous.
I ain't seen a whole lot of safe, experienced or protected in this area.

Melmd

Forum Crew Member
At least half of these folks are drinking, and you can smell alot of pot smoke in the air.

How do those guys do it, they drink, maybe smoke some pot and getaway driving from the bars... And nobody gets caught?:rolleyes:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
We have proven once more that motorcycles are another of EMTLIFE's "black holes".

phideux

Forum Captain
How do those guys do it, they drink, maybe smoke some pot and getaway driving from the bars... And nobody gets caught?:rolleyes:

A bunch get caught, but when you get 50,000 bikes vs 150 cops, quite a few slip through. That's when they start acting stupid and we end up getting them in the back of the ambulance.

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
If they are conscious ask whether they low-sided or high-sided. Low-side is basically laying the bike down and sliding, they'll probably be walking around picking up their bike before you even get there unless they hit something. High-siding is being ejected into the air and falling 4ish feet (example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATZm0nIc2B0).

I've ridden for over ten years and luckily have always been aware of my own mortality, so I would always be very cautious and learned about proper gear on dirt bikes. I do ride a sport bike and love them for the look, and their performance despite not using it anywhere close to its full potential.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Just came back from a trip from NJ to Rhode Island.

Saw a couple interesting motorcycle riders on the highway.

but the most interesting by far had to be the motorcycle rider who was doing 70 mph with a helmet.... SECURED TO HIS LEFT ELBOW!!! not on his head, it was protecting his elbow very well. he was in a t-shirt and jeans too. I tried to get a picture, but he was too far ahead of us.

many not wearing helmets, many wearing short sleeves or shorts, a few in sandles. sometimes they had a passenger on the back who was wearing flip flops, short shorts, and a bikini top. Must have been great to ride, but I'm betting if they took a spill it would definitely suck.

Both my buddy who will be the best man at my wedding and my former roommate rode motorcycles. Every time they rode, no matter what the weather, it was long pant, leather jacket, full helmet and visor, boots, and usually leather riding gloves. hot as balls when you are stopped in the summer weather, but good to go when you are driving down the road at 40 mph.