Employment post-termination

studmcmuffin

Forum Ride Along
Worked on a private BLS rig for a couple years. Backed the rig into a vacant, parked car (yeah, retarded, eh?). I was fired for not following company policy which stated I must have my partner get out and help me back up the vehicle.

Should I continue with Paramedic school or will I just end up facing rejection later down the road? Would someone really hire me knowing that I backed into a PARKED CAR?! :huh:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I backed the rig into a brick wall that was a LONNNNNNNG ways behind my unit. Seriously, no excuse for that one.

I've had colleagues take off mirrors, break windows, and t-bone school buses. If you work long enough in EMS you're destined to get in an accident.

I don't think this will have an impact on future career prospects.

Good luck!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Just be up front about what happened and you should be alright. Like MMiz said, with how much we drive we are at a much higher risk for being involved in an MVA whether it be major or minor, no matter how safely you drive. That's why they are called accidents.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Won't have an effect

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
This sort of thing is actually very common. The most dangerous thing you can do in a medic is to back it up!

I'm actually surprised that you got fired for this infraction, but if this was the only reason that you got fired and not something in a longer string of incidents, then I can't see a reason you would have trouble getting hired elsewhere!

18G

Paramedic
It is unlikely to have an effect on getting hired somewhere. Nobody is perfect and accidents happen no matter what policy is on paper.

I've worked at places that have had this policy and even the supervisors who were driving backed without a spotter.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
This sort of thing is actually very common. The most dangerous thing you can do in a medic is to back it up!

I'm actually surprised that you got fired for this infraction, but if this was the only reason that you got fired and not something in a longer string of incidents, then I can't see a reason you would have trouble getting hired elsewhere!

I know a few people where I work have been fired fore the same thing despite a clean record. Company policy says to have a backer at all times, if you hit something (especially without a patient onboard), you're looking at possible termination. If you lie about using a backer when you didn't, well then goodbye.

WestMetroMedic

Forum Lieutenant
St Paul fire department had a medic truck that had 4 firefighters in it and backed up down an alley without a Spotter and ran over an old lady and killed her. After the union got through with things, i don't think anyone even got a slap on the wrist.

In the interest of disclosure, i have injured 3 garage doors (oddly enough, only one was preventable) and run a postal drop box chute down the side of my truck and i am still employed and have been hired at other places after the garage door incidents. Its the cost of doing business.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
our use of a spotter is at driver discretion. I guess anytime anyone feels even a little bit uncomfortable we use a spotter so I haven't had the occasion to back into anything lately... yet... wait for it...

Smoke14

Forum Crew Member
We also have a zero tolerance policy for backing accidents. If I run into something without a spotter, I am done.

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
We're supposed to use a backer every time. Too bad my "attendant" complains EVERY time I ask her to do it. I only ask when it's sketchy but should just make her do it every damn time.

Usually the drivers that hit an object or building keep driving. If you hit a car then you usually get suspended for a very long time.

The only recent instant firing was when a driver was talking to the attendant as a patient went south. He looked back to talk and ended up smashing into the *** of another vehicle. FIRED!