Emergency Medical Responder

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
But that is precisely the point. Many of the early adopters of these increased educational standards did not see any significant benefit during their careers. It's a painfully slow evolution. Not arguing that people should be selfless and incur debt for no financial gain but unfortunately that's they way it happened for many professions. There really isn't a good answer.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Is it just me, or does no one acknowledge this as a profession? I busted my rump to get this certification and now I cant get a job because no one seems to know what an EMR is. When I took the national registry the test givers didnt know what an EMR was, they said "you mean EMT?" no, I mean EMR. Basically an EMT, I just cant tube or traction splint, and lets be honest, theyre about to boot that anyways.

Well, this isn't what you want to hear, but EMR isn't really part of the EMS profession. It's a cert that exists for folks who don't have any expectation of having to manage patients for more than a few minutes, or without being under the direct supervision of a higher level of care.

What sort of job are you looking for? Do you meet the requirements? If you don't, don't expect them to change the rules for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I think we scared off the OP because we werent saying what she wanted to hear

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Aas. Paramedic 69 credits or 2,587 hrs
Aas. RT is 82 credits or 3,075hrs
BSN is 119 credits or 4,462hrs
DPT is 212 credits or 7,950hrs
So, many moons ago, I received college credits for my NYS EMT renewal... I received 6 credits for my EMT class. IIRC, it was 3 or 4 hours a night, twice a week, and several saturdays, over the span of a semester. Seemed about fair, considering I would receive 3 credits for a class that met (on average) 3-4 hours a week. I don't remember how many hours total, but that was what is on my transcript (yes, I actually looked that up). So EMT class can be the equivalent of a 6 credit class. and once you remove the non-core curriculum classes (you know, the classes to make you a "well rounded provider", and are not directly required for the job you will be doing) you find the actual hours drop significantly.

All those are dwarfed by the amount of schooling an MD goes through.... so because an RT, BSN, or DPT (although this might be closer) doesn't have nearly the amount of education as an MD, does that mean they deserve to be looked down on as not being professional, because they don't meet the MD standards.

And for the record, no one says an EMT is as educated as any of those professions. Although I do know some really stupid nurses......

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I think we scared off the OP because we werent saying what she wanted to hear

I figure the same thing. Wait. Why are you posting here. Shouldn't you be out saving lives?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
he was on his phone using tapatalk while on the boat picking up some very wet houstinites.

Reactions: Jon

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I figure the same thing. Wait. Why are you posting here. Shouldn't you be out saving lives?

Im off until Sunday lol. 140 hours in 7.5 days os enough for me

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
he was on his phone using tapatalk while on the boat picking up some very wet houstinites.
Lol well i do have a water resistant phone

Reactions: Jon

rujero

Emergency Services RN, NREMT
EMR is not a profession, its a skill set to enhance a profession. When I trained for 4 months as a Professional Lifeguard in high school, becoming an EMR was part of the program, but those weren't the skills that defined my job. The purpose of an EMR is to provide initial first aid, CPR/AED until the cavalry arrives.

It sounds like you want to work in this field, and I believe you, but your approach with this post was a little convoluted. Further education of the EMS system and scope of practice for the different levels, and utilizing educational resources like tutors will be in your best interest if you want to make this your career.

-r