Dumbest Medical things on TV/Commercials

Deltachange

Forum Crew Member
If there is a thread, its so old that I don't want to Necro it.

Heard this one today while watching TV, wondered if you all had some.

This is a supplement for Post Menopausal women, it should not be taken if you are pregnant, may become pregnant, or are breast feeding.

I was shocked into silence.

JPINFV

Gadfly
This is a supplement for Post Menopausal women, it should not be taken if you are pregnant, may become pregnant, or are breast feeding.

How many women are perimenopausal who think they are post menopausal? What about IVF?

My personal pet peeve for false advertising was the "man gives birth" where the man was a FTM transexual. Sure, you may be transitioning and presenting as a man, but if the plumbing still intact, I'm not going to be shocked if it's still working.

IAems

Forum Crew Member
"Ask your doctor if . . ."

It's not specific, but this one always bugged me: "Ask your doctor if blah blah is right for you." If I have to ask my doctor whether he put me on the right medications, I'm finding a new doctor. I wouldn't ask my lawyer if he should argue Tinker v. Des Moines, or ask an IT guy if he remembered Ctrl+Alt+Del, but I digress. I remember some anti-depressant commercial starting off with, "Do you ever feel sad or lonely?" apparently suggesting that the human condition requires medicating:unsure:

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Prescription drug advertising to the general public pretty well pisses me off all the way around.

loves2(k)box84

Forum Ride Along
How about all the annoying, "If you took x drug and now have y disease, you may be entitled to a settlement! Call 1800 bottom feeding attorneys today!" Every time I turn on the TV, there seems to be a new one!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Warning taking this antidepressant may cause an increase in suicidal thoughts.

Actually that's a very valid, real, and dangerous side effect of a lot of antidepressents, especially in the teens to mid-20's age range. Unfortunately that's one I found out first hand.

OP
OP
D

Deltachange

Forum Crew Member
Actually that's a very valid, real, and dangerous side effect of a lot of antidepressents, especially in the teens to mid-20's age range. Unfortunately that's one I found out first hand.

I was going to edit it got called away, I was going to add a caveat that while it is true, you would think the company would figure out a way to stop that. Unfortunately most companies just want the money.

Transport Jockey, IDK your story, and I hope you know that was not making light of the people that statement has affected, just an observation that it is dumb and they should work on fixing it.

JPINFV

Gadfly
If pharm companies could simply do away with all side effects, don't you think they would? This is, of course, not counting the fact that the mechanism of action for most psychiatric pharmaceuticals are unknown past what they do to the receptor. Most psych drugs take a week or two before the benefits kick in, hence part of the problem with understanding exactly what they do do.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
It's not specific, but this one always bugged me: "Ask your doctor if blah blah is right for you." If I have to ask my doctor whether he put me on the right medications, I'm finding a new doctor. I wouldn't ask my lawyer if he should argue Tinker v. Des Moines, or ask an IT guy if he remembered Ctrl+Alt+Del, but I digress. I remember some anti-depressant commercial starting off with, "Do you ever feel sad or lonely?" apparently suggesting that the human condition requires medicating:unsure:

While I agree with you, I think the aim of the commercial is to get the patient to ask for the drug, specifically. Instead of "Doc, I feel so sad all the time, help," the drug company wants you to say "Hey doc, do you think that Amazocillin would be good for me? I heard somewhere that it might cure my my depression AND my ED".

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
I was going to edit it got called away, I was going to add a caveat that while it is true, you would think the company would figure out a way to stop that. Unfortunately most companies just want the money.
Everything within the body is interconnected, creating a substance that does only one intended action is harder than you think.

The body has a natural process that has taken millions of years to get to where is is now. If you want to exploit major components of those processes for your benifit than you're going to have to deal with less-than-ideal performance of all the other jobs that the specific area is responsible for.

If you want to inhibit the reuptake of seratonin in your brain that's fine, just don't be surprised if that isn't the sole side effect. Nothing in life is free. You have to weigh the pros/cons and make your decision accordingly.

Edit-

<---- Just took 50 mg's of 5-HTP with breakfast this morning, FWIW. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Athlete's foot looks like a foot on fire.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
ED drug adverts "Please call your doctor if you have an erection lasting more than four hours", I always add "If you have an erection lasting more than six hours, call the Guiness Book of Records!!!"

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
...and while we are on this topic, why, oh why, oh why is it that just as I am about to sit down for dinner etc an advert for vaginal fungus, foot rot, ED drugs ALWAYS seem to be aired?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
ED drug adverts "Please call your doctor if you have an erection lasting more than four hours", I always add "If you have an erection lasting more than six hours, call the Guiness Book of Records!!!"

...until you realize the effects that priapism actually can have if left untreated.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic

To quote Walk Hard, "if you have an erection lasting more than four hours, call more ladies!" :p

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Lifting the veil

When drug companies invest so much momey into advertising so that the regular folks...their true CONSUMERS...are directed to get their doctor to prescribe medications to them it becomes apparent that Physicians are now clearly DISPENSERS of medicaments that are most profitable to the drug companies.

Medicine is about supply and demand controlled by perceived need. So much of it today is DIRECTED by Profit, it is disgusting. The truth is, that is what medicine has been for the most part in these United States from the beginning; it's the American Way!

Pudge40

Forum Lieutenant
I heard a radio commercial for I forget the name of it. It was for shift work disorder. Apparently if you are tired at work you may have this "disorder."

Sako887

Forum Probie
I wonder how many people actually call for the settlement commercials...

Last edited by a moderator: