Driving Record

EMS Fanatic

Forum Crew Member
I have 3 tickets one in 2012 for failure to obey traffic sign one in 2013 for speeding and another for faulty equipment. All fines paid and the first ticket in 2012 I took a defensive driving course because the dmv made me. Does this affect my chances of being hired at a private ambulance service?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It very well might depending on how stringent their insurance is. Also it does not show particularly excellent driving judgement on your part and competition for jobs is sometimes stiff and there is a lot of driving involved so...

OP
OP
E

EMS Fanatic

Forum Crew Member
I just have had bad luck. Faulty equipment isn't a big deal.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Willfully violating two posted signs is not "bad luck".

Unsure what constitutes faulty equipment, however I am willing to bet that is your fault as well and not a string of bad luck either.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
The not so clear answer to this is, "maybe".

Some agencies insurance will cover you with moving violations, others want none. I think you'll just have to apply and see what happens.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I just have had bad luck. Faulty equipment isn't a big deal.
So you have two tickets in less than 24 months that demonstrate poor judgement on your part and do not apparently see how that's an issue.

OP
OP
E

EMS Fanatic

Forum Crew Member
I meant "faulty equipment isn't a big deal as in not in reference to the other offences. I take it seriously.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
image.jpg

RefriedEMT

Forum Lieutenant
All the places ive applied in Washington state have required no more than i think 2 tickets on your record for anything concerning driving in the past 10 years. That's just for reference.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Everywhere I know of limits you to either 1 or 2 points on your record. So if you went to traffic school and had the first point removed, and the "faulty equipment" isn't a point violation, you should be fine.
But stop driving like a jackass

Also, I went back and saw you were asking this question in 2013... I think the best answer you'll get is: apply, call employers, and see what happens.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
My departments are both very similar:

You get one freebie a year for a minor violation. A second one and you're on probation and can't get any more for 24 months. We'll take a look at anyone, but if there's one spot and all else being equal, one guy has 0 moving violations and one guy has one, guess who gets the spot. That being said, having a moving violation won't disqualify you (even an at-fault accident won't if you've only had one in the past 3 (or 5, can't remember) years) but it does make you less desirable.

Also, I wouldn't rely on "it's not that big of a deal" for an interview answer.

Good luck!