Double paramedic

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Washington County and Fayette County both staff their units with a Paramedic and an EMT-B/I. Neither is scheduled dual medic.

MCHD runs all ALS with either dual medics or a Paramedic / EMT-I.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Washington County and Fayette County both staff their units with a Paramedic and an EMT-B/I. Neither is scheduled dual medic.

MCHD runs all ALS with either dual medics or a Paramedic / EMT-I.

True that, I got off on a tangent I guess

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Denver Health is dual medic I believe. If they aren't there yet, thats the direction they are working in.

To be allowed to respond to 911 calls in Washoe County, NV the truck has to be minimum I/P, most are mixed with a few P/P trucks rolling around.

Last edited by a moderator:

kymedic25

Forum Crew Member
Evansville AMR does, but only to pair up a newly certified medic for a while

AMR Evansville does not run double paramedic. Having worked there in the past, they run paramedic/EMT-B or AEMT. Every now and then, you could be on a double medic truck if someone was working OT or a part time employee, but they do not generally run double medic trucks.

Jason

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Yes, DH is dual medic.

DH is another place I would love to work. geez I'm gonna have to bust some *** at my current service to get that experience in.

Maine iac

Forum Lieutenant
Just to clarify Boston EMS might run dual medic on their intercepts, but their primary response is a basic crew (from my understanding).

All trucks in Minneapolis are dual medic.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Just to clarify Boston EMS might run dual medic on their intercepts, but their primary response is a basic crew (from my understanding).

All trucks in Minneapolis are dual medic.

That's how I understand it too. However from what I hear many of their BLS crews are actually medics, just operating as EMTs.

They don't hire Medics from outside, only promote from within.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
4 out of our 25+ rigs are duel medics out here in Palm Springs,CA. Only the medics with 10+ years at our company are able to get those rigs

MedicSchwanee

Forum Crew Member
Medstar EMS in Fort Worth has multiple levels of paramedics. You have to be a level 4 to be a primary paramedic on a 911 ALS unit. There is a Level 6 which is a CCEMT-P that works in the community health program, and then every two weeks they rotate to the truck. There is a level 3 paramedic that will work with a higher level paramedic on a 911 truck.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Albuquerque Fire Dept
Austin Travis County EMS
Williamson County EMS

Those are three off the top of my head that run dual medic busses

EDIT: Denver Health Paramedics is an almost all medic agency as well, so they run double medic

Albuquerque Fire Dept? I thought a Hospital based service ran this area.

tssemt2010

Forum Lieutenant
A few years back, when they had significantly higher standards than they do now, Cypress Creek did run double P trucks quite a bit. Now that they put the Paramedic graduates straight into In-Charge training (one of the downfalls in their reputation and level of service IMHO), that has decreased.

MCHD stopped hiring EMT-B's years ago in an effort to go all ALS (EMT-I's and P's). Now they are looking more at newer P's to put in the attendant role to increase their level of service. They really push their Intermediate's to finish Paramedic school, and even go as far as paying for the education throught their in-house program.

Both are still top notch programs, just one has lost some of it's "old school" reputation luster.

i have been at cypress creek about a year and a half now and have never seen any of their paramedic graduates go straight to incharge training, their time spent as a P1 depends on how well they perform, most spend 6 months to a year as a p1 before they will consider sending you through your incharge training

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
i have been at cypress creek about a year and a half now and have never seen any of their paramedic graduates go straight to incharge training, their time spent as a P1 depends on how well they perform, most spend 6 months to a year as a p1 before they will consider sending you through your incharge training

When you say "incharge training" are you saying training them to become FTOs or going straight from school to FTO time as an attendant at the ALS level?

Personally I'd be heated if I graduated from school and still had to drive someone around constantly. It makes no sense to make a brand new medic a FTO but what is wrong with training them as an attendant and letting them lead on ALS calls? How else are you going to learn?

kymedic25

Forum Crew Member
When you say "incharge training" are you saying training them to become FTOs or going straight from school to FTO time as an attendant at the ALS level?

Personally I'd be heated if I graduated from school and still had to drive someone around constantly. It makes no sense to make a brand new medic a FTO but what is wrong with training them as an attendant and letting them lead on ALS calls? How else are you going to learn?

"In Charge" in this area means literally that, you are in charge of the ambulance. Since I am a double medic truck, someone needs to be responsible for everything that happens on the truck and that means me, the "In Charge". We have P1 - Attendant Paramedics, can not ride without an IC, P2 - In Charge, P3 - In Charge that does not need to call for orders, FTO - Field Training Officer, and P4 - Relief Supervisors, Field Sups.

I am a P3/FTO.

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I believe it still is. I would love to transfer up there but cost of living is prohibitive, to the OP all LA County ALS 911 ambulances (RA's) have to be dual medic.

Just confirming that we are still dual-medic. And yes, it is expensive to live up here. The pay doesn't get too much better for privatized EMS though.

San Mateo AMR medics are probably the only ones in NorCal that have a better contract than us. (and those other counties in the AMR bargaining unit in the Bay) Those medics make a ton of cash I hear.

Get on with SFFD (which is 1on1) and they probably make the most money in the Bay Area as single role paramedics. At least when you factor in starting salary/benefits.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
That's how I understand it too. However from what I hear many of their BLS crews are actually medics, just operating as EMTs.

They don't hire Medics from outside, only promote from within.

Not quite. Boston EMS runs 19 BLS ambulances (2 EMT-Bs) and 5 ALS ambulances (2 Paramedics) on average. Most calls get only a BLS truck on the initial dispatch, but depending on the EMD both ALS and BLS can get sent. If there are no BLS units left in the system sometimes they send just ALS or ask a private company to take it.

As stated BEMS does not hire medics, they promote from within. It be however, an exaggeration to say that most basics are medics working as basics. It happens, but most of the BLS trucks are staffed by EMTs. From time to time the city offers an internal medic class as well. Beyond that I'm not really sure how the promotional process works.

FreezerStL

Forum Crew Member
Almost all of the Fire Dept/Districts in St.Louis run Dual medic, as well as most Ambulance Districts.

It's rarer to see a place that runs Medic/EMT than dual Medic.

Commonsavage

Forum Crew Member
Albuquerque Fire Dept? I thought a Hospital based service ran this area.

Bernalillo County/Albuquerque is a two-tier system with Albuquerque Ambulance Service(a division of Presbyterian Hospital). In Albuquerque it's AFD and AAS. In the County it's BCFD and AAS. In Rio Rancho, actually in Sandoval County, it's RRFD and AAS.

tssemt2010

Forum Lieutenant

i mean you are the incharge, there are not many FTOs here, you have to work towards that, you can be an incharge without being an FTO

and while you are an "attendant" paramedic on the truck here when you graduate from paramedic school, you are put incharge of the calls, but you have that incharge medic to help you out so you gain experience and pretty quickly