Does Your Service Provide Stethoscope In The Box?

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
3. One in each jump bag, and one floating around the back somewhere. I always used my Littman though.

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
Depending on which rig (i like rig or truck) I'm in, there is usually at least 2 in the back, 1 in trauma bag, 1 in trauma box, and my own. I rarely use the ones supplied because they suck compared to my nice Littman and god knows where the plugs have been.

Also, I enjoy using vamnulance when referring to the shiny, newer, but wussy compared to our boxes, vans. ;)

Sasha

Forum Chief
Yup. In the box, you have to assemble it yourself. They're the super cheap Orange ones.

I pilfered one because I lost my littmann. Really good for bp but I just can't hear breath sounds through them.

Won't be a problem soon. Partner bought me an ultrascope.

I call it ambulance or vanbulance when I'm feeling cheeky.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Agreed. I like to call it the horizontal taxi.

That's how I describe my job when I get the occasional "what's it like being an EMT in Boston? I bet you see a ton of messed up ****."

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The big question is how many boxed stethoscopes are in the box of boxed stethoscopes.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Seriously? Maybe people call it different things because nobody gives a :censored::censored::censored::censored: and everyone with half a functioning brain understands what you're talking about. To say that patients think of it as a free ride because someone calls it a bus is idiotic.

signadmin1.gif

It's idiotic to say it will not harm the public perception. The public is at a complete loss about EMS and much of it comes from so many terms being used by those in EMS.

signadmin1.gif

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We have 2. One in the first out bag and another in the BLS cabinet. I always carry my littman II SE or my partner's cardiology III.

I call them units. We run Type IIIs so they are boxes on van chassis, not technically a truck but It does happen every now and again.

frdude1000

Forum Captain
We carry 2 on our BLS units. One is in the jump kit and the other is usually hung on the crash webbing. They are the crappy single lumen type. If we are lucky, the one in the unit may be an ADC cardiology scope. I bring my own littmann.

OP
OP
medic417

medic417

The Truth Provider
Yup. In the box, you have to assemble it yourself. They're the super cheap Orange ones.

Don't you hate the delay when you have to build your own stethoscope so you can properly check the patient in the ambulance.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes my service has 2 ambulances with two trauma bags per ambulances. In each of those bags we have Littman Cardiology 3. We got them at the end of last fiscal year when we discovered we had some more money to spend. This year we are probably getting more portable radios with any excess.

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
It comes from supply in the box, but we usually take it out for immediate use and to uncoil it.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Don't you hate the delay when you have to build your own stethoscope so you can properly check the patient in the ambulance.

I pre assemble all mine.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
I guard my littman more savagely than my partner's life.

I've already had one take a walk on me

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Sasha

Forum Chief
I guard my littman more savagely than my partner's life.

I've already had one take a walk on me

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Meee too. That is why I am really excited to get the super personalized ultrascope. It has my name engraved on the head. No way that is going to walk away on me. Plus its all pink.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Meee too. That is why I am really excited to get the super personalized ultrascope. It has my name engraved on the head. No way that is going to walk away on me. Plus its all pink.

We'll start another thread with the pool of how long it takes that scope to vanish.

Hmmm...maybe a $1 entry going to the site to defray costs...I may have to think some more about this one.

Just kidding.

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant

hah. pink, i love it. My fiancé painted his sledge hammer bright pink (he's a diesel mechanic) and it never walked away again.

R99

Forum Lieutenant
The place I got my littman engraved my name for free so no walkies

We are given cheap dual tube pieces of crap in the green bag but theyre rubbish

Alot of the paramedic students have $300 cardiology stethoscopes but dont know how to use them ....

Bosco836

Forum Lieutenant
Yes...we carry one in our first in bag and another in the ambulance (both inexpensive, hard to hear out of scopes); however, I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually use one. Most people seem to carry their own.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
A scope is required equipment for an EMS vehicle in PA. So yes, there is always a scope to be had. It's almost always the dual-lumen or cheap single lumen, though.

One of my 911 services provides Littman Classics in every truck (actually 3-4 in the ambos across the truck, ALS bag, BLS bag, and trauma bag). They don't go missing, and pretty much everyone uses the truck scopes.

College squad has a Littman lightweight in our primary kit.

Everywhere else I carry one of my personal scopes.