Does your company have a policy against this?

One thing I found out very quickly in this field is that there a whole lot of RATS. They disgust me. These self righteous, holier than thou types are scurrying all over the place writing people up for this and that. Make me really miss the military. We dealt with those types swiftly. I have less than zero respect for tattle tales. That crap should be beaten out of you by 9th grade. Of course if you are causing harm to a Pt that's a different matter, but if I see it I will deal with it on the spot, then if there is no understanding, the chain of command gets involved.

+1. Unfortunately the world is too soft nowadays, and you can't settle beefs in the parking lot without getting locked up and/or losing your job.

there is a gross misunderstanding of who is homeless in the US.

No, it is simply that you see those statistics as reasons to get feel sorry for these people. I see most of them as reasons to not get involved since I like to take on issues I can actually do something about and work with people who aren't at an increase risk of stabbing me in the face for drunk or booze money, because they think I work for the CIA or simply because it's Tuesday.

Thirty-nine percent report some form of mental health problem, and 20 to 25 percent meet criteria for serious mental illnesses.

And your point?

Sixty-six percent report substance use and/or mental health problems.
Key word: report. It's a common problem with relying on voluntary surveys of illegal activities or embarassing information that you see often gross underreporting.

Also, this is supposed to demonstrate that I was misguided in saying they would probably prefer money to spend on drugs or alcohol how?

Fifty-four percent were incarcerated at some point in their lives.

And I'm supposed to feel sorry for these people why?

Twenty-three percent are veterans

Which is not an excuse or anything. It shows that the homeless are not taking advantage of the programs out there. There are a LOT of programs aimed specifically at veterans.

However, expect some anger and possible violence with some if you suggest that

This would be why I leave such activities to the guys and gals with guns, pepper spray and Tazers. Actually our cops are pretty good about making sure the proper referrals get made and don't just haul the detritus off to the county lockup.

can anyone honestly say that Sasha did anything morally wrong that should warrent disciplinary action?

Morality has nothing to do with it. Illegal is illegal. It doesn't matter if Sasha and her little bleeding heart disagree with the law, that still gives her no right to violate it just to make herself feel a little better about herself anymore than I have a right to speed because I like driving at speeds approximating the liftoff speed of a corporate jet.

Carry business cards or fliers of the local soup kitchen or social services. That will feed them longer.

I have also given food, instead of money, to those panhandling only to have them toss it in the trash.

While the laws banning panhandling in Florida have been in the courts for a few years, there are still laws that prohibit anything that interferes or causes a distraction in traffic areas. These laws can be enforced for all parties involved in the activity.

I gave a half of a fresh pizza to a homeless guy who had a "Hungry" sign, and he asked me to throw it away because he did not like pizza! Hah! I felt like an idiot.

One thing I found out very quickly in this field is that there a whole lot of RATS. They disgust me. These self righteous, holier than thou types are scurrying all over the place writing people up for this and that. Make me really miss the military. We dealt with those types swiftly. I have less than zero respect for tattle tales. That crap should be beaten out of you by 9th grade. Of course if you are causing harm to a Pt that's a different matter, but if I see it I will deal with it on the spot, then if there is no understanding, the chain of command gets involved.

quote by 46Young
+1. Unfortunately the world is too soft nowadays, and you can't settle beefs in the parking lot without getting locked up and/or losing your job.
You are assuming too much. This could have been a bystander that made the call or even an LEO who was cutting them some slack by not issuing the ticket but just made the call to their company. We also have cameras at many of these intersections that can catch this activity.

Make me really miss the military. We dealt with those types swiftly.

Amen. I don't go out looking for things to write people up for. Even when I stumbled across stuff, I normally just told them to knock it off. Only when something really serious came up did I ever write them up or "formally" punish someone. I hate paperwork too much to want to go looking for excuses to do more of it. Actually I used to get in trouble in the military for not being hard enough on those under me.

Of course, the military tends to also weed out the bleeding hearts as well or at least transform them into realistic people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspected I might take a beating for this... However.

Of course, the military tends to also weed out the bleeding hearts as well or at least transform them into realistic people.

Just because I don't have a bitter blackened view of the world does not make me unrealisitic.

quote by 46Young

You are assuming too much. This could have been a bystander that made the call or even an LEO who was cutting them some slack by not issuing the ticket but just made the call to their company. We also have cameras at many of these intersections that can catch this activity.

You're right. I was going on the assumption by Sasha that it was most likely a co-worker.

I suspected I might take a beating for this... However.

Just be safe!

I've got a soft spot for the homeless also but I also know they have to find the correct channels for help and not depend on panhandling. For those I have come into contact with for medical situations, I will try whatever available to get them into the right service for help. Unfortunately some do prefer to stay out of the system for a variety of reasons including an arrest warrant with their name on it or illegal status.

Key word: report. It's a common problem with relying on voluntary surveys of illegal activities or embarassing information that you see often gross underreporting.

Also, this is supposed to demonstrate that I was misguided in saying they would probably prefer money to spend on drugs or alcohol how?

welcome to the world of demographics, most stats are reported.

No but it demonstrates that they aren't "lazy unemployed :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: in a recliner (looking for a free beer)." Instead many have health problems including alcoholism which is a disease and/or have pre-existing socio-economic barriers.
Sure you don't need to do anything to change the world, but lay off the generalizing statements that they will stab you, are lazy etc...

while i agree withe most posts here on not handing food or money to homeless folks (I have my reasons that have nothing to do with a lack of empathy for those truely down on their luck and in need of help), can anyone honestly say that Sasha did anything morally wrong that should warrent disciplinary action? Dispite the fact that I would not act as Sasha did, I applaud her actions and find it horrible that anyone would report an act of kindness...

She did not do anything morally wrong that warranted disciplinary action. Which is why she did not receive any disciplinary action. I think she was told not to do it again as it might violate some laws and the company doesn't want its personnel to be getting fined or arrested on the 5 o'clock news

Sasha has a good heart but still violated the law and possibly endangered the safety of others including the person she was trying to help. It would be of an LEO's right to issue a ticket which would also have not been good in the eyes of her company. Safety first. It probably wasn't about giving the food but rather the location she did the act of kindness.

Volunteering a shoup kitchen would accomplish the same thing. I agree that sasha should not be punished for it (and she wasn't) but handing out soup kitchen cards might be more effective.

Just because I don't have a bitter blackened view of the world does not make me unrealisitic.

I don't think you have to be bitter to be realistic but I believe that seeing the world the way you seem to see it is patently unrealistic. However, I do know the statistics and the chances of making a difference are worse than the chances of an asystolic patient walking out of the hospital without any cognitive deficit. Recognizing that fact and deciding it's better to take a proactive approach (removing the incentive for these people to be standing on the street corner begging in the first place which does nothing but reduce the quality of life for the rest of us) instead of a reactive one (handouts) does not make me bitter. If I suggested rounding them all up and "euthanizing them" ala the Tiergartenstrasse 4 project, THAT would be bitter.

Volunteering a soup kitchen would accomplish the same thing.

I used to volunteer at a homeless shelter but found the experience quite terrifying and did not feel safe so I had to stop.

I've got a soft spot for the homeless also but I also know they have to find the correct channels for help and not depend on panhandling. For those I have come into contact with for medical situations, I will try whatever available to get them into the right service for help.

However, I never thought about providing resources, thank you for the suggestion.

welcome to the world of demographics, most stats are reported.

I know this quite well. That was the point I was getting at.

but lay off the generalizing statements that they will stab you, are lazy etc...

When you have a population made up largely* of mentally unstable, drug and alcohol-addled desperate people, there is no such thing as too much caution. People seem to forget the nature of the people you're dealing with in the rush to "help" them.

I say "largely" based on self-reported statistics such as what Sasha cited, so you can't accuse me of generalizing. It's extrapolation since I am simply applying other facts in evidence that all those factors tend to predispose to crime, including the violent variety.

I used to volunteer at a homeless shelter but found the experience quite terrifying and did not feel safe so I had to stop.

And yet you'll approach them on the street?

I say "largely" based on self-reported statistics such as what Sasha cited,

Let me clarify, I am not afraid of homeless people in general, but people, homeless or not, who would come to a homeless shelter to beat, rape, rob and practically torment homeless people. It was also the gang activities in the general area where the walk back to my car was far scarier than spending time inside the shelter.

. It's extrapolation since I am simply applying other facts in evidence that all those factors tend to predispose to crime, including the violent variety.

Then one must wonder why.
Could it be that the available programs are not sufficient to meet the needs of these people?
Must the society be more supportive and proactive in their recovery?

Morality has nothing to do with it. Illegal is illegal. It doesn't matter if Sasha and her little bleeding heart disagree with the law, that still gives her no right to violate it just to make herself feel a little better about herself anymore than I have a right to speed because I like driving at speeds approximating the liftoff speed of a corporate jet.
-USAFmedic

There are philosophers that would disagree with you on that point. Who says it is not a human right to violate unjust laws?

Mitzvah

Sasha,
I hope someone like you is around if I ever need a hand.

Two fingers up to the rest.

I hope by 2 fingers, you mean pinkies, because I doubt the CL's will be too keen on the more obvious reason...

Back