Do you think I'm employable for EMS work?

Roddy B

Forum Ride Along
I used to have a drinking problem and have two intoxicated in public charges on my record, I have 7 moving violations (taught myself how to drive), only two in the past three years. I was charged with assault on a peace officer (when I was drunk), my lawyer got me out of it. He got me out of it because I have been diagnosed schizoaffective. I was diagnosed schizoaffective after my Dad kicked me out and I was living on my sister's couch working with my meth head step dad. I had a breakdown and they took me to the hospital, that diagnosed me and kept me for a week.

I've never had another breakdown like that, but I did become a pretty hardcore alcoholic.

Now I haven't drank in two and half years and quit smoking pot two months ago.

The diagnosis of schizoaffective and the assault charge are the two major things im worried about.

I feel the schizoaffective diagnosis can be explained by my (obviously) stressful situation at the time. And the assault charge I plead not guilty and got deferred adjudication and plead "no contest".

I feel like it is obvious why I had a "breakdown" and the assault charge was a huge mistake, from years ago that I made a major lifestyle change (sobriety) to prevent from ever happening again.

If anyone's wondering why my Dad threw me out its because he told me I didn't have to pay rent and then randomly kicked me out for not paying rent and having a crappy job, he was mad that I didn't do anything besides part time work for minimum wage. It was the summer after high school graduation. The surprise homelessness and the working with my step dad (who my mother occasionally accused of raping her, but withdrew those accusations after becoming sober *she did meth too*). My Mom has been with many men who have beat her and I've never seen any bruses on her since she's been with this man. But she did accuse him of rape and then sobered up and denyed it. Homelessness + that caused my breakdown.

I know the Grammer is bad in this post, but you can see the reason for the diagnosis and the assault charge was just me trying to get shake free from a cops grip, I overpowered him and he feel into a door jam face first and broke his nose. All I did was put a shoulder into his chest. I know that is horrible, its why Ive been sober 2+ years.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Probably not. Have you had any incidents -- e.g., arrests, fights -- in the 2+ years you've been sober? How do you think your schizoaffective disorder influences your day-to-day life? Do you still have any relationship with your parents? Do you have someplace to live? Why do you want to work in EMS?

OP
OP
R

Roddy B

Forum Ride Along
Probably not. Have you had any incidents -- e.g., arrests, fights -- in the 2+ years you've been sober? How do you think your schizoaffective disorder influences your day-to-day life? Do you still have any relationship with your parents? Do you have someplace to live? Why do you want to work in EMS?

I don't think the schizoaffective effects me at all. I think it's just a condition they gave me to explain my break. I think my break was from stress and dehydration.

I haven't had anything on my record since I've become sober except a speeding ticket and a ticket for switching lanes to quickly.

I live on my own down the street from my sister. My Mom is bouncing between crack houses but we keep in touch and I see my Dad once a month. He lives 10 miles or so away. I'm a cook at a Wafflehouse and have been working full time since 19. I'm not handicapped or anything.

I want to be an EMT because I have seen so much negative in the world and I want to KNOW that I am a cause for positivity in others life's. Especially strangers, I think it's really important to show people you care, even if you don't know them.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't think the schizoaffective effects me at all. I think it's just a condition they gave me to explain my break. I think my break was from stress and dehydration.

I haven't had anything on my record since I've become sober except a speeding ticket and a ticket for switching lanes to quickly.

I live on my own down the street from my sister. My Mom is bouncing between crack houses but we keep in touch and I see my Dad once a month. He lives 10 miles or so away. I'm a cook at a Wafflehouse and have been working full time since 19. I'm not handicapped or anything.

I want to be an EMT because I have seen so much negative in the world and I want to KNOW that I am a cause for positivity in others life's. Especially strangers, I think it's really important to show people you care, even if you don't know them.

Ok, so let's assume for now that you've faced your demons and turned your life around. The next part would be to consider what you expect if you're allowed to work in EMS. If you're thinking of a career as an EMT, I'd advise against that because of the high stress and low reward that, best case, makes it hard to pay bills, and worst case, disturbs the coping mechanisms you've developed over the past two years.

Could you keep your job for now and try EMS as a volunteer? You'd learn a lot more about what it's like and how well you'd fit.

I've seen several people with problematic histories hired as EMTs and even paramedics. It doesn't always work out, but it's not impossible. Some people become extraordinarily caring and strong despite histories of poor decision-making.

OP
OP
R

Roddy B

Forum Ride Along
Ok, so let's assume for now that you've faced your demons and turned your life around. The next part would be to consider what you expect if you're allowed to work in EMS. If you're thinking of a career as an EMT, I'd advise against that because of the high stress and low reward that, best case, makes it hard to pay bills, and worst case, disturbs the coping mechanisms you've developed over the past two years.

Could you keep your job for now and try EMS as a volunteer? You'd learn a lot more about what it's like and how well you'd fit.

I've seen several people with problematic histories hired as EMTs and even paramedics. It doesn't always work out, but it's not impossible. Some people become extraordinarily caring and strong despite histories of poor decision-making.

That's an excellent suggestion. Thank you very much. Have a wonderful day my friend.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I was previously in Law enforcement- I don't think you will be able to get any public service/civil service job with that on your record.

Not saying that has anything to do with your personality. Just simply what is on the pieces of paper.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Would you want someone with 7 moving violations driving an ambulance, with a history of assaulting peace officers while drunk (and no, being drunk does not excuse your actions)? To put it in perspective, other applicants had fewer moving violations, and didn't have a history of assault on peace officers....

OP
OP
R

Roddy B

Forum Ride Along
Would you want someone with 7 moving violations driving an ambulance, with a history of assaulting peace officers while drunk (and no, being drunk does not excuse your actions)? To put it in perspective, other applicants had fewer moving violations, and didn't have a history of assault on peace officers....
You don't know the context of the situation with the police officer and a judge dismised the case as long as I went to sobriety meetings, which I did.

Moving violations from ages 18-21 when you get your drivers license at 18, I feel are excusable.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
You don't know the context of the situation with the police officer
And unfortunately for you, neither will prospective employers. Sure, if you happen to be applying to a small enough agency and only 2 or 3 other people applied at the same time you might get a shot to explain it in an interview....or not. The managers will see the charges and may simply automatically file your application in the circular filing bin without a second thought, even if you're the only applicant. Not trying to be mean, but that's the cold, hard, uncaring truth of life.

Moving violations from ages 18-21 when you get your drivers license at 18, I feel are excusable.
And once again, unfortunately for you, what you feel is excusable matters not at all. Let's say you're buddies with someone in management someplace and they're willing to hire you...if their insurance company isn't willing to overlook the paper records of past moving violations (because they all use past behavior as indicators of future behavior, i.e. the insurance company will see the multiple recent violations and assume that means you're more than likely to track up more in the future...which means insuring you is going to be expensive. Either they're simply not going to insure you, which pretty much means you cannot be hired...or they'll pass the cost along to your potential employers by raising their rates across the board...you'd have to be REALLY good buddies for your hypothetical manager friend to overlook that...)

It really is going to be an uphill battle with that record. You might have to bide your time for a few years, maintaining a squeaky clean record (not even a parking or speeding ticket) just to get the same shot as people who dont have a record to begin with.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Roddy, I think you're getting lots of realistic feedback and I'm not going to disagree with any of it. I'll just add that sometimes, caregivers who've made bad choices and suffered consequences are able to relate better to people who've been through similar situations. There are plenty of patients who get marginalized by medical professionals who can't identify with presenting problems they haven't faced themselves. That's an area where you might have strengths. Perhaps you could put them to good use if you're cut enough slack to try.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
In regards to the assault charge, if the case was dismissed post sobriety counseling, was it? If you got a background check will it show up?

The job 100% involves driving. While your substance abuse may be held against you (i personally have a low threshold for that stuff for philosophical reasons) the extensive driving record, with violations occurring even after you got everything else straightened out is a larger concern for me. Insurance is a huge expense as an agency and bring in someone who will increase that risk is usually a red flag.

If you have a career in EMS is largely up to the guy who is going to hire you. I know people who did dumb things 18-21 and were never caught and others who had to have had a tracker on them cause they always got busted. If your honest with me during the interview then i would be more inclined to give you an opportunity. My bigger concern with you is that this job can affect people in ways that drive them to become addicted to stuff, and with your history of such, i would worry you might end up back there.

On the other hand, i know guys who cleaned up their acts and turned into really great caring and relatable providers. I would definitely look into volunteering or riding along somewhere to get your feet wet and get an idea of what this job really is, it is helping people, but not in the way you think

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
On the other hand, i know guys who cleaned up their acts and turned into really great caring and relatable providers. I would definitely look into volunteering or riding along somewhere to get your feet wet and get an idea of what this job really is, it is helping people, but not in the way you think
I know I have helped a few of my parolees that had substance problems (that I truly believed changed), get into EMS, with the restriction they could not advance past an EMT. My "stats" were 3/3 (100% success) they are still thriving. Roddy, not saying it can't be done it will just take some doing on your part, which in my opinion will show your dedication. As many others above have stated ^^, start volly, network around there, and hopefully somebody works for a paid gig, used to, or knows somebody that does, make a good impression there and hope for the best.

soflomedic14

Forum Crew Member
I think it might depend on where you’re specifically trying to get hired, but as far as I know, most departments, hospitals and other agencies look at ALL records and sometimes even the smallest things can set you apart in a negative way from another candidate who has no record.
In my opinion, no I don’t think you’d be a good candidate for EMS

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
You don't know the context of the situation with the police officer and a judge dismised the case as long as I went to sobriety meetings, which I did.
That's right, I don't, and as @Jim37F said, neither will your employers. You can explain the context in an interview, if you get an interview. But do you really think a manager is going to want to interview you, when he or she has 10 other candidates who didn't assault a PO? Not going to happen, unless you already have a hook on the inside, who has explained your situation, and is willing to vouch for you that you are worth interviewing, which is really tough to do with no experience.
that's great that you do; but no one cares. what's important is what your prospective employer thinks, and most DO care about the violations during that time. 7 in 3 years is a major red flag. Heck, I applied to a job and they said two moving violations in the past 2 years rendered you ineligible for employment.

You asked a question, and you don't like the answers you are getting. It seems you have three options: 1) get into an EMT class, pass with flying colors, and get hired by a reputable company, demonstrating that you were right and all of us were wrong 2) getting into an EMT class, spending all the time and money on doing something you will want to do, only to find yourself unemployable due to your criminal background and driving history or 3) acknowledge that everyone here is giving you an honest answer to your question, and are trying to make sure you understand what you are getting yourself into, and think that because of your past indiscretions, this might not be a good field for you to chose.

Summit

Critical Crazy
What you are going to need to do is establish a great pile of new evidence that shows you are not your record, that it was a blip due to circumstance, not a demonstration of your character.

That takes several years of staying squeaky clean, having a good work history, great references etc.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
As of now, or the foreseeable future, you are not employable in EMS,

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
To summarize, you have on your record:

1) Two charges for public intoxication
2) Seven moving violations, but only 2 in the most recent 3 years
3) A charge for assaulting a peace officer, which was "dismissed"

Public intoxication is usually a violation and I've known people who worked in EMS with much worse on their records. The moving violations will be a challenge but once your most recent one is over three years old, it might not be a problem. STOP GETTING TICKETS.

The assault on a peace officer is more serious. Was it actually dismissed, as in, there is no record of it? If so, I am quite confident that your record would be acceptable many places. If it does show up on a background check, the assault charge will definitely throw a monkey wrench in the works, but still might not preclude you completely. It really depends on the legalities in your state and the policies of potential employers / how badly they need bodies.

As others have said though, EMS is a high-stress, low-sleep, low-pay, low-reward job. For your own benefit and that of those around you, you need to be really sure that you are mentally and emotionally ready for a difficult, challenging, frustrating work environment that doesn't pay well.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Even if you aren't able to work in EMS, I wouldn't rule out a job where you are working in some public service capacity. The history with the alcohol may be good for a role in some type of substance abuse role. It isn't unheard of for someone who kicks a drug addiction, gang affiliation, alcoholism, etc to get involved in helping others do the same.