Do you refer to non-Paramedics as "Medics"?

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
If I'm making entry in to a place and have to announce our presence (such as a front door left open but no one to meet us) I'll yell "Paramedics!", only because yelling "Paramedic and EMT" is awkward.

Otherwise, no.

Except it's really not as trivial as some would claim. It's an earned and protected title, and if someone wants to use it let them. Further, the public DOES need to be educated on it as so long as they believe all we do is ''drive the ambulance'' we'll not get the respect required to further the profession.

Or you could just yell "EMS". Then you don't have to feel bad about calling the basic a paramedic ;)

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Back when I was a private ambulance EMT I'd simply say "Ambulance! Did someone here call 911 for ..(dispatched chief complaint)..?

gnosis

Forum Crew Member
Yes, but the terminology is a bit different up here in the wilds of Canada.

Frozennoodle

Sir Drinks-a-lot
Administration at my company uses the term, "Medic," to differentiate us from the rest of the companies operations. "Susan works on the medic side," or," Does Steve work in billing? No He's a medic." Providers here refer to paramedics as medics and EMT's as EMT's.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
The only "non-EMS" folks that I call "medics" are the folks in the military that are called "medics." That being said, when talking with non-EMS folks, I just simplify things appropriately to the situation. When talking shop, I make the distinction.

Gingerbeef454

Forum Ride Along
In some provinces in Canada we have PCP (primary care paramedic) and ACP (advanced care paramedic) designations. So there isn't even an EMT designation anymore. I don't like the new naming system personally, I started as a PCP but would call myself an EMT because when you hear paramedic you think of intubations and ACLS drugs.

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
Lol calling someone with 4 hours of training a medic?

Members go through training to be either the EMR or EMT level. We also continuously review all material from the curriculum at regular team meetings, so when we do get a cardiac arrest or MCI or whatever, we know exactly what we are doing. Four hours might be the initial screening in order to get on the team.

I'm not the one who came up with the term "medic," but it distinguishes us from city ALS.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
EMT: EMT, BLS, Medic, BLS Medic, BLS tech
ALS: Tech, Paramedic, ALS tech

EMT: EMT, Basic, BLS
AEMT: AEMT, Intermediate, ILS, I-tech, IV-tech
Paramedic: Medic, ALS

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
EMT: Grunt
AEMT: Minion
Paramedic: God

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Dammitt. In some areas I could have been a medic without going to school?

Every now and again, a pt will call me "Doctor"... I guess that's how it feels.

twistedMP

Forum Crew Member
From what I've experienced in GA your either a paramedic "medic" or your an ambulance driver. If you say I'm an emt they'll say paramedic

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
If someone seems genuinely interested in talking about and learning about my work, I'll distinguish EMT from Paramedic and pretty much tell them anything they want to know (barring specific patient confidentiality and security topics of course). But if it's just someone making idle half-assed chit-chat, why waste my time and breath. I smile, am polite and move on as quick as possible.

Before really looking into taking my EMT class, I didn't know the expanse of difference between EMT level and Paramedic level either!. Not because I'm stupid, but because I had simply learned other things in my life up til that point. To someone who isn't interested, it's just not really worth getting into and demanding they learn something. But if they're interested I'll tell them whatever they want to know.

And as far as identifying ourselves when knocking on doors, we shout "Fire Department, did someone call 911?" Which is funny, because we're a 3rd service and don't actually work for the fire department. Though they are usually with us on runs.