Diving accident video

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
After reading the article and coming upon the "it's fake" part, apparently the in-hospital clip was from an attempted suicide with a 9mm. Really? People are so naive. Common sense would dictate that a 9mm would not do any sort of damage near that caliber.

I feel bad for the poor guy and his family. It was an accident, however it was it his own actions that caused his death. It was only a matter of time that it would happen if they continued to jump off the ledge as the article had stated.

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
If he's still bleeding badly, aim for the bubbles. Otherwise, it appears that he didn't sustain injury to his larynx. In his case, you wouldn't need the laryngoscope.

thanks, that makes sense.
But they were not too concerned about it flopping around and loosing the placement? How would one secure the tube? I know that balloon thing helps hold it in place, But it still is not that strong. Or is it?:unsure:

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
WOW... half of me is going "THATS FREAKING AWESOME" and the other side is saying... "that'd be a hard call to run". I feel bad for the kid. He had to learn the hard way that nobody is "immortal"... even if your young

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
But they were not too concerned about it flopping around and loosing the placement? How would one secure the tube? I know that balloon thing helps hold it in place, But it still is not that strong. Or is it?:unsure:

The balloon does a pretty good job, but they were probably going to use gauze rolls to hold his face together and then just stabilize the tube that way. That's how I'd do it anyway.

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
The balloon does a pretty good job, but they were probably going to use gauze rolls to hold his face together and then just stabilize the tube that way. That's how I'd do it anyway.

Ok that makes sense, that way you hold the head together, and the tube in place at the same time. thanks for your input.^_^

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

As Hotel says, the balloon does do a pretty good job, but it's not perfect. I probably also would have used some kind of gauze roll to kind of hold the face together, but also to hold the tube in place. As to why they probably weren't too concerned about losing placement, given that I wasn't seeing much in the way of secretions or hemorrhage I'd imagine that the guy's airway could have been maintained without the tube, while they started looking for the cords to reestablish the tube... If the guy wasn't on a vent for 2 days while breathing through that tube... I'd imagine his work of breathing through the tube might just have done him in.

Whether or not he was on a vent... they don't say.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Indulge me a moment of self-reflection

I'm an ex-medic who, while a medic, got to explore some of the more emotional, psychological and spiritual aspects of the job and survived.

I chime in here when there's opportunity to offer a point of view that might help medics to see themselves and what they do beyond the role of Flesh Mechanic that seems to be so much a part of the "culture".

Reading my posts you'd think I stand for sensitivity.

I took one look at this video, however, and immediately showed who I am by logging in and going right for the jugular, which, in this poor schmoe's case was the only thing left intact! I was as cold as I discourage you guys from being.

So, without even thinking too much about why, I'll stand by my insensitivity and acknowledge that in the face of overwhelming horror (can you imagine BEING that guy?) I'd prefer to laugh and NOT think about it.

Maybe my only point is we DO have choices in how we cope.

piranah

Forum Captain
ABCs. thats it supportive care.get him to a surgeon...wow...i would rather stayed in the water and drowned...asleep...

quebebran

Forum Ride Along
Really?!? Besides ABCs...I think you are stupid just for thinking I didn't know that!

Last edited by a moderator:

emtfarva

Forum Captain
Me hungry.

I was eating lunch when I watched it. Matter of fact, most of my crewmates were. We all though it was a cool vid.
I guess i wasn't the only one. I was eating while watching, thought it was gross, but oddly did not have the urge to throw up, and couldn't take my eyes away.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Just wait tell next week, there will be something similar to this on "Trauma" but he will survive from the quick acting paramedics doing a complete field surgery...

kittaypie

Forum Crew Member
my friend sent me this video right as i was sitting down to a spaghetti and meatball dinner...

twinstar_ca

Forum Ride Along
not really a lot of difference to this and some of the "shotgun suicide" calls i have been to in the past.. the main difference is he was alive to begin with..

regardless of how we choose to cope with these types of calls, it really all comes down to the basics... A, B, C's.. at least that's the way i see it...

must have been a hell of a shock to the swim buddy who rolled him over in the water... :eek::eek:

mcgrubbs

Forum Crew Member
I just got up from breakfast table and immediately found/watched this.

My reaction is my standard one: It aggravates me how people will do such stupid/dangerous things.

FireStrut

Forum Crew Member
Bless his heart, that had to have hurt.

FutureParamedic609

Forum Crew Member
Gosh that's crazy! That poor kid.

You will never get me to jump off anything that requires clearance of a cement slab...no way.

Gosh, that's just..wow.

Emily