Difficult Airway Course

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
One is being offered early next year in my area. Anyone here take it? Their website has nothing but rave reviews, but I would like some objective opinions before I register....

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I have received flyers on such courses. I can only see that it could only be beneficial, as some have cadavers. The downside is this should had already been taught in school where you obtained your education and from the courses (SLAM, Difficult Airway) the only prohibitive area is the costs.

R/r 911

dmiracco

Forum Crew Member
I would definately take it becuase its a good airway course and you will take alot of the information home with you that you will find yourself using in the clinical setting. I took it a few years ago and I enjoyed it.

SMEMT

Forum Ride Along
I have taken the difficult airway course and i have to tell you that it is an awesome class. It went above and beyond anything that was taught to me in my paramedic classes. One of the doctors stands infront of the class and scopes himself and gives you a "tour" of his airway. In my opinion this class was worth every penny!

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
I took the class in the spring, and enjoyed it. There isn't any groundbreaking airway techniques, but what they preach is preparation, preparation, and more preparation - by that I mean assessing your airway, determining if you're going to have a tough patient to bag, if your patient will be a tough tube, if your patient will be a tough crich, etc. If your patient will be a tough bag/tube/crich, what is plan A, B, C, and D if your projected plan fails. It's very RSI oriented, and there is also some time to play with the glidescopes and be assessed on your intubation techniques, although it is assumed that you have some experience with laryngoscopes and intubation. The staff was very well educated and presented the material clearly. It won't change the way you intubate, just the way you prepare for it.

tydek07

Forum Captain
I have heard of these courses. I would take one, there is nothing to lose. Even if you have learned it already in school, never hurts to review and practice practice practice.

My partner here at work says that he took one and thought it was worth going to. He also says you have nothing to lose outa taking it.

Take Care,

SMEMT

Forum Ride Along
I agree it doesn't teach any new groundbreaking techniques, but it will definately build on what you have already learned. Since taking the class I am more comfortable intubating and have had more successful intubations than before.

FF894

Forum Captain
Anybody have a website or link to courses?

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain
Big support in airway classes. The more experience you get, the less you fear the dreaded trachea.

I only say that because the field statistics are not great, and we need to improve it greatly.

emtbill

Forum Crew Member
I would highly recommend the course. I took it over the summer and it was worth every penny. They start with the basics of airway management, like how to properly ventilate a patient with a face seal (I was surprised to find out I didn't know how to do this efficiently), and then more advanced topics, covering every aspect on how to properly RSI a patient. In fact, it is a prerequisite before providers are allowed to RSI in my agency. My class did not have cadavers, but they did teach crichothyrotomies on pig tracheas. The second day of class was exclusively scenarios where our skills were put to the test. The faculty, which includes an MD, is diverse and keeps lectures interesting with levity while still remaining on track. They also have a bunch of cool toys for you to play with, like fiberoptic scopes, Shikani stylets, etc.

medic417

The Truth Provider