did you record lectures?

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
I was wondering how many people recorded the class lectures. If you did what did you use? Ive seen a program out there that records what it hears directly into notes. Any one know anything about this and how useful do you feel this would be?

ClarkKent

Forum Lieutenant
I personal record all of my lectures for all of my classes. I have about an hour drive home from school so on my way home, I will reply them just to reinforce what was covered. Then once I am home, I review my notes. If I feel like there is an area that I did cover that well because I was focused on the last topic, then I will go back to that part of the lecture and add more notes to it. But that is my learning style and it might not work for everyone. Make sure you talk to your professor before you start recording the lectures, I had one that would not allow me to record the lectures.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I never recorded EMT school, tho I used to record my undergraduate biology lectures. I used my iPod with a special microphone. Now you can use your iPhone.

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant
I recorded specific lectures because I had one instructor who hated power point yet he talked up a storm and drew all over the boards. The recordings helped me keep up when my writing hand cramped up.

JPINFV

Gadfly
My current school audio and video records lectures for us automatically.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I was wondering how many people recorded the class lectures. If you did what did you use? Ive seen a program out there that records what it hears directly into notes. Any one know anything about this and how useful do you feel this would be?

There is a commercial on television, not a very good commercial because I can't remember exactly what was being advertised, although I suspect it may have been for a particular brand of laptop computers... Anyway the computer is shown in a college classroom with the student just sitting there, relaxed, as the professor's words appearing on his screen; meanwhile everyone else is struggling to keep up typing or writing notes. In the fine-print of the commercial, I did see the name "Dragonsoft", and I can tell you indeed that Dragonsoft is, and has been for quite a long time, the most well-known and respected brand of speech recognition software.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Through my brief stint in higher education, I noticed students recording lectures becoming increasingly common. I don't know if it's just because of the increase in difficulty, some other factor, or if it's actually becoming popular and acceptable, but when I started I never saw it. 4-5 years later at least one person was recording the lecture in each class I took.

I don't do it myself (I actually take notes and 99% of the time never look at them again - something about just writing the information down helps me remember it) so I can't speak specifically to what people use. I've mostly seen traditional little digital voice recorders, I believe.

I agree though... make sure you ask first.

The voice recognition thing is cool, but could never replace note-taking for me. I translate information into flow-charts, drawings and all kinds of crazy stuff while in class. Again, this is just a technique that works for my particular learning style, but if you're going to have a speech-to-text program do your notes I'd at least have a pen and paper ready to take down anything that it may miss like diagrams.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't do it myself (I actually take notes and 99% of the time never look at them again - something about just writing the information down helps me remember it) so I can't speak specifically to what people use. I've mostly seen traditional little digital voice recorders, I believe.
I agree about writing it down. For me as well, it's the act of writing it down that helps me learn. Perhaps it's the way the information has to go through multiple parts of your brain on the way from your ears to your fingers that helps solidify it in there, I don't know.

Again, this is just a technique that works for my particular learning style, but if you're going to have a speech-to-text program do your notes I'd at least have a pen and paper ready to take down anything that it may miss like diagrams.
Of course, the modern solution to this is to just take a photograph of the diagram or whatever with a cell phone camera. I've seen several students do this in classes I've been in.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
There is a commercial on television, not a very good commercial because I can't remember exactly what was being advertised, although I suspect it may have been for a particular brand of laptop computers... Anyway the computer is shown in a college classroom with the student just sitting there, relaxed, as the professor's words appearing on his screen; meanwhile everyone else is struggling to keep up typing or writing notes. In the fine-print of the commercial, I did see the name "Dragonsoft", and I can tell you indeed that Dragonsoft is, and has been for quite a long time, the most well-known and respected brand of speech recognition software.

The problem with Dragonsoft is that you need to train it to your voice it make it more accurate so it is great for making personal notes and such however it can be pretty inaccurate when using it in a large lecture hall with a different teacher. It is really cool when it works tho.

tickle me doe face

Forum Lieutenant
The problem with Dragonsoft is that you need to train it to your voice it make it more accurate so it is great for making personal notes and such however it can be pretty inaccurate when using it in a large lecture hall with a different teacher. It is really cool when it works tho.

Our prof lets us use tape recorders in class, and I used one when he reviewed for our midterm exam.

It was definitely helpful!

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Can it be trained for only one person at a time? If it can be trained for several people at a time then it could still work.

Does Naturally Speaking (the Dragonsoft product) keep a recording of the audio as well, to facilitate later editing/correcting, or would the student need to do correcting on the fly?