Deal breakers at work

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Hogging the remote.

Complaining about all the personal errands I NEED to do on the clock.

Not going to the coffee shop I like, just because it's more "convenient"

Liking different radio stations than me.

Serious, life threatening allergies that prevent me from eating, or possibly rubbing my partner with, my favorite foods.

Not knowing exactly what I want, when I want it on a call without me telling you. Ever.

Loud noises before 10:00 AM.

Doing calls.

Making noise during my mid afternoon nap.

^^ At least one of these has been an actual pet peeves from past partners^^

BUT.. On a serious note:

Quiet time. Seriously. We can be in the room together. Or in the truck, on a busy system. At some point between our 12th and 16th hour together, we can stop having inane conversation. My brain needs the rest. I don't not like you. (Though, I probably don't like you. I don't like anybody except my wife and like 3 other people, socially) But I just want some Quiet Time.

Those are my pet peeves. DON'T MAKE FUN OF THEM. I expect all my EMTs to be mind readers on a job.

EMSrush

Forum Captain
Bad driving is my deal breaker. Trying to speed up to go airborne at the top of a hill? Really?

Vladamir von bone

Forum Probie
Current partner comments on every female. The constant she's sexy,hot,big butt,big boobs has become annoying.

Last straw was when he commented on a teenage patient. I dare him to say something else.

I know how you feel that's all my supervisor does honk the horn, get on the mic, in one case hopped out the rig while a pt was in back to had a girl who was no older the 17 a card with his number on it he's 50 years old with a 14 year old daughter and says his age range for girls is 16 and up I know it's bad and you shouldnt wish ill on someone but I can't wait for some old wrinklly sauger daddy to scoop up his daughter or he catches a case for trying to mees with little girls

CFal

Forum Captain
the age of consent in most states is 16
for example my state:
The age of consent in Rhode Island is 16. Sexual intercourse with a minor aged 15 by an actor 18 or older is third degree sexual assault, sexual intercourse with a minor under the age of 15 by an actor of any age is child molestation. However, there is a close in age exception that allows people aged 16–17 to have sex with a minor aged 15, but not younger.

§ 11-37-6 Third degree sexual assault. – A person is guilty of third degree sexual assault if he or she is over the age of eighteen (18) years and engaged in sexual penetration with another person over the age of fourteen (14) years and under the age of consent, sixteen (16) years of age.[79] § 11-37-8.1 First degree child molestation sexual assault. – A person is guilty of first degree child molestation sexual assault if he or she engages in sexual penetration with a person fourteen (14) years of age or under.[80]

CFal

Forum Captain
I don't mean to give legal advise, I'm just saying that 17 is good to go in a lot of places don't be so judgmental. (I'm 18 1/2, I'm into older women to set the record straight)

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't mean to give legal advise, I'm just saying that 17 is good to go in a lot of places don't be so judgmental. (I'm 18 1/2, I'm into older women to set the record straight)

let me just say that, as someone over 30, the sex is never worth it; no matter what "it" may be...sex causes more people, more problems than any other thingvi know of...fwiw.

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
the age of consent in most states is 16
for example my state:

Is it just me, or is it borderline insane that the law says its fine to get pregnant at age 16, but you're definitely not old enough to handle alcohol for another 5 years?

Yeah. Suuuuuurrrrrrreeeeeee. <_<

MrJones

Iconoclast
I know how you feel that's all my supervisor does honk the horn, get on the mic, in one case hopped out the rig while a pt was in back to had a girl who was no older the 17 a card with his number on it he's 50 years old with a 14 year old daughter and says his age range for girls is 16 and up I know it's bad and you shouldnt wish ill on someone but I can't wait for some old wrinklly sauger daddy to scoop up his daughter or he catches a case for trying to mees with little girls

My rule of thumb for men: To determine an appropriate age differential between you and a potential mate, divide your age by 2 and then add 9. So, if you're 18, your bottom limit would be 18, while if you're 50 your bottom limit would be 34.

But that's just me, Mr. Vegas.....

MexDefender

Forum Lieutenant
people who hear how a call went and take it upon themselves to criticize every aspect of the call and how they would done it better.

everyone who is overly opinionated on the job, its a profession that you should treat as such and not high school gossip for 12 hours.

overly religious partners - please keep it to yourself.

CMHills

Forum Probie
Maybe this is just too obvious to be mentioned, but the one thing I absolutely won't tolerate is carelessness with sharps.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
I only have one "deal breaker" per se because I have only one ultimate goal: to make it home. If you cannot do that by either crashing more than once with me or nearly crashing more than once with me due lack of situational awareness/incompetence, or even encouraging unrest/violence on scene for one reason or another, then maybe we should find other partners.

All other quirks (dipping/smoking in the unit/sloppy dress/insubordinate/etc), will get on my nerves up to and including written reprimands.

Milla3P

Forum Lieutenant
Also, Bro's into the sweet story.
"Hey, Bro. How was your lady with chest pain?" (Obviously trying to find out how over the top my Tx would be and looking for a sweet brah story)

"She had chest pain." *walk away*

Porta

Forum Lieutenant
1. Offensive smell (perfume, body spray, cigs, etc.)
2. Abrasive attitude (know-it-all, contradictory, too much swearing...)
3. Just being an all around jerk.

I'm pretty easy going and not much bothers me, but those three drive me batty.

Anjel

Forum Angel
1. Offensive smell (perfume, body spray, cigs, etc.)
2. Abrasive attitude (know-it-all, contradictory, too much swearing...)
3. Just being an all around jerk.

I'm pretty easy going and not much bothers me, but those three drive me batty.

Nothing better than some old spice and Chanel 5.

Porta

Forum Lieutenant
Nothing better than some old spice and Chanel 5.

My husband wears Old Spice. I'm constantly shoving my nose in his armpit. I love the way it smells. Unfortunately, my partner also wears Old Spice....

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
reckless driving, turfing ALS patients to BLS, punitive ALS (putting a 16 in a drunk kid to teach him a lesson), the dip thing I mentioned and use of drugs or alcohol.

Those are some of things that are simply non-negotiable.

Amen. I know folks that no longer have jobs over punitive ALS. I can justify many things. Torture isn't one of them. (There's a parallel with backboards to be had here:) ).

Mine is working with other girls that can't lift. And have to call for a lift assist for a 200 pound patient.

I think it is a waste and makes me look bad. I can hold my own. Why can't they?
Amen. I'd expand this to ANY partner that can't or won't lift "their share". I hope to have a long career ahead of me, too - don't ask/demand that I kill my back because you don't want to do your job.

Yep, snitches are pretty much deal breakers... I've been known to have a heavy hand (metaphorically not literally) but I don't go running to management, crying over everything, if there is an issue, then you'll know and we'll discuss in no uncertain terms, but the only deal breaker is a snitch... ;)

Hmm. Wouldn't go so far as to say that - but I will say that I was raised in EMS by folks that believed "what happens on the truck stays on the truck". In the way of gossip and interpersonal stuff - I try to leave it there. If you're doing things that are illegal or outside protocol - I'm NOT going to ignore it, so don't ask me to.

Wow. It's one thing to look. It's another thing to make a comment within the vehicle. Beyond that? WAYYY out of line. Not only does that make the crew/company look bad to outside observers (likely including the young lady or young man), but it makes all of public safety look bad.

Oh, and incorrect spelling and grammar are pet peeves of mine. Just saying.

people who hear how a call went and take it upon themselves to criticize every aspect of the call and how they would done it better.

everyone who is overly opinionated on the job, its a profession that you should treat as such and not high school gossip for 12 hours.

overly religious partners - please keep it to yourself.
I like talking over calls, and sometimes I learn something from a partner's views of a call. But if you weren't there, you aren't really equipped to criticize the call.

Religion? Not sure what you're getting at. If you want to do your thing, go for it. Don't mock me for doing mine, or not doing anything. I see nothing wrong with someone sitting and reading the bible in downtime, if that's "their thing".

Maybe this is just too obvious to be mentioned, but the one thing I absolutely won't tolerate is carelessness with sharps.

I think this is much less of an issue than it was 10 or 20 years ago. Between industry-wide use of needle-safe devices, and better design of vehicles with sharps boxes in more convenient places, I see this as a non-issue. If I have to leave a sharp someplace other than my workspace or the sharps bin, I'll call it out.

I only have one "deal breaker" per se because I have only one ultimate goal: to make it home. If you cannot do that by either crashing more than once with me or nearly crashing more than once with me due lack of situational awareness/incompetence, or even encouraging unrest/violence on scene for one reason or another, then maybe we should find other partners.

All other quirks (dipping/smoking in the unit/sloppy dress/insubordinate/etc), will get on my nerves up to and including written reprimands.

I find it alarming how many folks mention safe operation of the emergency vehicle as a concern. My concern is that it sounds like we all see it, and many in the industry accept it, or at least put up with it. As someone that's had a collision in an ambulance, the consequences can be far-reaching. There's no cause to play Nascar driver behind the wheel of a 5 or 10 TON vehicle, with multiple lives onboard. As fun as it can be to run emergently - we need to recognize that outside of on-duty medical emergencies, the thing that kills most EMS providers is vehicular-related traumatic injury. Yeah, medical aviation accidents skew that statistic for us ground pounders, but we need to slow down and wear our seatbelts. And on scenes, we need to use blocking apparatus to ensure our safety, and make sure we're wearing our vests.

MexDefender

Forum Lieutenant
Religion? Not sure what you're getting at. If you want to do your thing, go for it. Don't mock me for doing mine, or not doing anything. I see nothing wrong with someone sitting and reading the bible in downtime, if that's "their thing".

They insist on knowing my personal life so I tell them a story or two and one time I talked about relations with a woman I was seeing and he said you know you are going to hell for premarital sex.

Awesome remark partner, going to tell me I'm condemned to the pits of hell because I had a good night with another adult.

- no one here reads a bible but I respect religion even after being attacked by people for my disbelief but I never have a complaint even if they are overly zealous as long as they don't over step and try to judge me with their holy scripture.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
As mentioned, partners not wearing their seatbelt is also a huge one of mine. Not only is it a bad example to the public, it violates state law, company policy, and it is really frickin annoying to hear that stupid seatbelt chime all shift.

Not to mention that if we are to be involved in a significant MVC I do not want my unrestrained partner coming over the console and elbowing me in the head.

My first partner had some serious crust for being "only" five years on and he would never wear his seatbelt. He would whine at me when I called him out, telling me that I was only 19 and "had a lot to learn about this business."

So I guess that's another one, a partner that cannot me being younger than the average EMT. I am not a child and hold the same license as you. Nevermind that I also have more experience than you too...