Day by Day Scheduling in California?

ruceblee

Forum Ride Along
So I recently started working for a small ambulance company in CA (just moved from MA) and the schedule is strange. We are only given start times and the schedule isn't given out by the week, but by the day instead. So basically,I don't know what time I'm working tomorrow until the end of the day today. This is the strangest way to write a schedule I've ever seen. Can anyone tell me if this is typical for CA or is it just this place?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I've never heard of daily scheduling, and it's certainly not typical in EMS.

You may want to look elsewhere for employment.

OP
OP
R

ruceblee

Forum Ride Along
Yeah,I was afraid you might say that. :\

Angel

Paramedic
I think I may know who you work for and I would highly suggest you continue your search for a more ideal company. If its who I think...
But that's not the norm at all!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It's not common in CA. I have heard of it at one company before (don't remember the name). For that company they would tell you what days you were working but you would not know the time until the day before.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I know of a county that does that with their float medics.

avdrummerboy

Forum Lieutenant
That's kind of ridiculous really. We're given month long schedules out here for part timers, full time is a fixed schedule for six months. Might want a less flaky place to work, there are a lot of shady companies around here!!

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Why's everyone afraid to say names? lol sounds like Liberty Ambulance (So. CAL) NOT norcal.
But if you need help looking for something in so cal. Theres some great guys and gals on here that can steer you in the right direction. Pm me if you got questions and ill be glad to assist you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Angel

Paramedic
at some, most companies, its against policy to talk bad about the company, the HR folks or all other polices and can lead to termination.

to me its just no very professional to talk negatively about some of these places on a public form.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
at some, most companies, its against policy to talk bad about the company, the HR folks or all other polices and can lead to termination.

to me its just no very professional to talk negatively about some of these places on a public form.
Ah gotcha.

stemi

Forum Crew Member
I think I know the company you're speaking of as well. If it is, then you should leave ASAP. There's much better around.

Woodtownemt

Forum Lieutenant
I have worked at a company that practiced this. They are no longer around but they would have their set schedules then they would have variable schedules. Where they wood tell you a week before what days you would work and usually the start time a day a two before. They use this when expecting things would pick up. In this line of work you learn not to make plans after a shift. But this would be stressful as well bc of not knowing your start time in advance. In short it's stupid lol.

okiemedic

BLS Healthcare Provider Instructor
I worked for a company like that. My sgt would send me a text around 10pm every day. Be in at 4am or 8am. I hated every second of it....

Rin

Forum Captain
My scheduling is something like that. The FT's have a fixed schedule, PT's & PRN's just put what shifts they want in their availability & the company fills in the rest of the shifts from there, usually two days beforehand.

I like it b/c I can pretty much get the shifts I want, and can sometimes still pick up extra shifts at the last second.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief

True, but he's not talking bad about the company. He's asking is it's normal and he doesn't like it.

Its like if I asked about a company policy we have I disagreed with and wanted since perspective. But then again, we don't post out names either.