Cpr

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
Forgive me, but are we talking about modesty and CPR as if the former actually takes some consideration when performing the latter?

What a tragedy it would be if somebody saw your tits, fat gut, surgical scars, etc, while performing a medical procedure that has no other purpose but to save your life...

Ding ding ding

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Forgive me, but are we talking about modesty and CPR as if the former actually takes some consideration when performing the latter?

What a tragedy it would be if somebody saw your tits, fat gut, surgical scars, etc, while performing a medical procedure that has no other purpose but to save your life...

CPR definitely comes first. I definitely didn't mean to imply or start a discussion that suggested that CPR should be secondary to privacy! :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
I agree that privacy should not be a major concern here. No-flow time versus time to defibrillation is what's key.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The point is that in almost all cases, compressions can be started almost instantaneously -- just start pushing -- whereas pretty much everything else takes at least a few seconds to perform. And I'd like people to use their heads about that kind of thing rather than insisting on any particular sequence just because that's how they like to dance.

That's the point I was trying to get across. I realize for most in EMS that it's a non issue since we almost always have a partner. There are times though that the cardiac arrest finds us though and some modification to the "rules" might be needed.

I agree wholeheartedly, however I will add that are idle hands on scene that there is no reason why the modesty issue cannot be addressed.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Yes, I was being silly. Sort of an "ADDuctio ad absurdum".
:deadhorse:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
If you need to cut through light clothing fast, just break out one of these...

ithacasports_2208_17118826

I can't say that it would cut through denim as I haven't tried it, but it should easily cut through T-shirts and most other clothing... and I do know that they will easily cut through several layers of athletic tape, from personal experience.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If you need to cut through light clothing fast, just break out one of these...

ithacasports_2208_17118826

I can't say that it would cut through denim as I haven't tried it, but it should easily cut through T-shirts and most other clothing... and I do know that they will easily cut through several layers of athletic tape, from personal experience.

The shark! So commonly taken from the training room that they're either hidden or chained down! I bet it cut denim considering how much tape it can cut on a single pass, though it's a little large to keep in my little kit.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
The shark! So commonly taken from the training room that they're either hidden or chained down! I bet it cut denim considering how much tape it can cut on a single pass, though it's a little large to keep in my little kit.

The Shark is a great tool... and the picture is inverted. ;)

I'd just put it in a larger kit. Since we'd be responding professionally, why not put one in our kits? Why not just physically attach them to AEDs? :cool:

mycrofft

It's not inverted, its an Australian Left Handed Shark!

They also apparently sell a smaller version at 1/4 the price, both have replacement blades sold separately, and do not incoude a guard or sheath for storage/transport.

Here are two more V-blade type cutters for under $5, but they are pullers and do not have replaceable blades. (Use Goof-Off then alcohol to remove glue goo). Ignore the scissoring device.

http://www.enasco.com/c/farmandranch/Livestock+Identification/Ear+Tag+Removers/

But bystander CPR training, per AHA AND ARC does not include baring the chest.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
You can nitpick all you want, but the fact remains, all EMS responders, who this forum is directed to, should have the foresight to perform CPR on a bare chest.

The last time I did chest compressions while waiting on somebody to bring me a monitor I left their shirt on. They were too diaphoretic and I didn't have gloves (drive up DOA in a hospital parking lot). The shirt allowed enough traction to do effective CPR.

If you've got the correct landmarks, who cares about removing the shirt until the AED/Monitor arrives. CPR isn't functionally any different. Let somebody else worry about removing the shirt.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The Shark is a great tool... and the picture is inverted. ;)

I'd just put it in a larger kit. Since we'd be responding professionally, why not put one in our kits? Why not just physically attach them to AEDs? :cool:

It's a thought, last year I cut myself on a pair of shears attached to an AEDs shoulder strap that were too loose to stay closed. A shark might struggle to cut through straps that keep pads together though.

mycrofft

Just dug out my Brady first responder text. Although about 2/3 of the pictures show a bared male chest, not all do, and the instructions do not say to bare the chest except for AED. Seems as confusing as their long spine board material.