Cost of paramedic school?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
A&P, EMT-B or EMT-I, HOBET test (basic English/Maths), plus an interview at CFCC.

I don't see much of a practical purpose in placing barriers to entry beyond prerequisites. Let the curriculum weed out those that are low performers (CFCC uses this approach).

That is not reassuring.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
What other practical means do you have to limit entry to a class besides prerequisites? I see no upside to expensive education when it is simply for the sake of being expensive.

I think prereqs are the best.

Particularly sophmore college level.

The current medic curriculum is written at the 10th grade level. EMT-B at 8.

I would suggest general chemistry for science majors and a bio for science majors, both with labs providing that the medic class has an A&P component.

Otherwise I would add that to chem and bio.

Pharm would be a bonus, but I wouldn't make it a prereq.

I think the hobet would then become obsolete, because the additional education would more than prove fitness.

Not merely for the sake of making the education more expensive, but for having initial coursewrok in health related classes that would make medic class less of a struggle while also lengthening the commitment.

In the last 6 years one of the things I have noticed is a shift in medic school students from people who wanted to be medics for whatever reason, to adults in other careers looking for the quickest and cheapest way into the health field, which is EMS.

I am not opposed to people changing careers, but flooding the market with minimumly qualified people just looking for a job hurts EMS as an aspiring profession.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
I think prereqs are the best.

Particularly sophmore college level.

The current medic curriculum is written at the 10th grade level. EMT-B at 8.

I would suggest general chemistry for science majors and a bio for science majors, both with labs providing that the medic class has an A&P component.

Otherwise I would add that to chem and bio.

Pharm would be a bonus, but I wouldn't make it a prereq.

I think the hobet would then become obsolete, because the additional education would more than prove fitness.

Not merely for the sake of making the education more expensive, but for having initial coursewrok in health related classes that would make medic class less of a struggle while also lengthening the commitment.

Well sure, but these are not associates programs. If they were and they lacked those sorts of pre-reqs it would be a problem. As it stands these are certificate courses and the system itself is hamstrung in what it can enforce as pre-reqs. Both schools are transitioning to AAS offerings in the next 2-3 years.

In the last 6 years one of the things I have noticed is a shift in medic school students from people who wanted to be medics for whatever reason, to adults in other careers looking for the quickest and cheapest way into the health field, which is EMS.

I am not opposed to people changing careers, but flooding the market with minimumly qualified people just looking for a job hurts EMS as an aspiring profession.

If the system is setup correctly, it does not matter why they are moving into EMS. If it is a medic-mill, then certainly it would matter (but only as a consequence of artificially high pass rates). Neither of those two CC programs are medic-mills and both are quite willing to wave goodbye as you leave due to low performance.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
both are quite willing to wave goodbye as you leave due to low performance.

Just so we are using the same definition, a medic mill does not pass people who shouldn't pass.

They often have very "demanding" programs in terms of grades. The often used is 80% to pass.

But what they do is basically teach to the test by forcing students to memorize hundreds of disconnected facts.

Medic mills post unusually high pass rates and drop anyone who is not likely to pass a certification exam first time. It is such a problem some states have actually added attrition rates as a measure of accrediting programs.

I am not suggesting the organizations you cited are medic mills, I am just pointing out how medic mills actually work. They do not simply pass everyone.

Airw4ves

Forum Probie
From zero to hero north of the border, it's probably going to run you $20,000 minimum. Then there is the cost of living while on practicum, which will run you anywhere from free (if you have people you can stay with) to upwards of $5000-$6000. Other costs such as licensing exams, registration fees, and uniforms will add on a to the total cost. I would say that most will have spent $35,000 by the time their all said and done.
And thats all for a nice shiny diploma...:blink:

Last edited by a moderator:

hogwiley

Forum Captain
If you add up the costs including the pre reqs, and then the Paramedic classes themselves, you're looking at about 10,000 at the nearest CC.

If you just count the Paramedic classes themselves, about 7,000.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
When I add in all of the miles traveled for classes and clinicals (my school is over an hour away) it's probably above $10,000.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Jeeze. It's crazy to see how much some of the medic schools cost. I thought $4,800 all included was steep enough.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
~$10,000 all inclusive.

The CC has a program too, not sure how much it costs, it's cheaper but you have to jump through hoops to get an internship and potentially pay for it as well.

I guess I'll add too this since everyone is throwing more than I did out there.

REMSA Paramedic Program in Northern NV.

All inclusive includes clinicals in a Level II Trauma Center, internship in a high volume, high performance 911 system. Extensions are included if necessary. Average 75-100 ALS pt contacts in 40 shifts.

Class includes ACLS, ITLS, ITLS Access, PALS, NRP and CBRNE Operations level.

Last edited by a moderator:

Azriel

Forum Ride Along
Where I'm going for EMT-B, in Santee, California, the cost for Paramedic School is 11 K. All books and stuff included.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Where I'm going for EMT-B, in Santee, California, the cost for Paramedic School is 11 K. All books and stuff included.

That is brutal. I wonder how many of their paramedics they place into jobs, since the market is so bad there. I can't imagine it's worth the $11,000.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
PERCOM is $5,400 for their EMT to Medic. Very reasonable if you are in state. Reasonable too even if you are out of state if you figure clinical rotations take ~45 days and short term rent at an extended stay America is about $190 a week and groceries/food are around $70 a week (even cheaper if you make your own food).