Coronavirus Discussion Thread

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
One of the difficulties of this virus is that we're still learning about it and it's still very early on that we don't quite yet know everything about it. One thing to watch out for is that it appears that infected people are quite infectious during their prodromal period and are still shedding a lot of virus even after the symptoms have subsided. I don't think we know yet exactly how long people are actually infectious. Hopefully this stuff isn't a weaponized virus that found a way into the wild. The good news, if any, is that because there are infected people now outside China, western health agencies (and governments) will have this stuff genetically sequenced fairly quickly and therefore should be able to determine if it's weaponized or if it's "just" a virulent coronavirus. Either way, good early containment should allow this to burn out...

Summit

Critical Crazy
It's already sequenced and we had the sequence before it was seen outside. Assuming the Chinese weren't lying.

What will be interesting to see is how much it mutates. It is a RNA virus.

OP
OP
Akulahawk

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
It's already sequenced and we had the sequence before it was seen outside. Assuming the Chinese weren't lying.

What will be interesting to see is how much it mutates. It is a RNA virus.
Trust but verify... If they're not lying about it... great. However as an RNA virus, it can quickly mutate. I just hope it burns itself out before it mutates into something really bad!

Summit

Critical Crazy
Trust but verify... If they're not lying about it... great. However as an RNA virus, it can quickly mutate. I just hope it burns itself out before it mutates into something really bad!
Sometimes zooinotics mutate to be less deadly over generations like Ebola (seriously) and sometimes they become more deadly like Spanish Influenza did.

Summit

Critical Crazy
I've worke

According to the CDC, it's not.. Then my state came out and said to use all the ebola precautions.

Including trained observer doffing in the kiddie pool vat??? What state says that? That isn't what CDC nor CO says.

Phillyrube

Leading Chief
You know, this isn't new. It's printed on a can of Lysol I've had lying around my shop the past few years.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
The news this morning has a Cruise ship with 4000+ passengers and 1100+ employees are quarantined off of Japan with 11 people with Coronavirus. 1 person left the ship after 5 days (11 day voyage) sick, and when they realized what he had the Japanese officials checked everyone else; found 11 more people with the virus; and I think pulled them off to treat them.
The rest get to stay on board for an additional 14 days, but are to stay in their cabins. Worse ways to be quarantined.

I wonder if the Cruise line company will tell everyone scheduled for future cruises what happened on this one.

Grant Brown

Forum Ride Along
I just registered today on here so i could see what everyone is seeing precaution wise for the corona-virus. i did find this from john hopkins and was curious on every bodies opinion on it. The death number compared to the recovered number is very surprising especially since thats no a number you hear in the news. But we all know fear sells!!

Summit

Critical Crazy
I just registered today on here so i could see what everyone is seeing precaution wise for the corona-virus. i did find this from john hopkins and was curious on every bodies opinion on it. The death number compared to the recovered number is very surprising especially since thats no a number you hear in the news. But we all know fear sells!!

Recovery lags deaths lags diagnosis

I'm not sure if you are saying that it is unusually high deaths, in which case, remember: recoveries will go up.

Or are you saying a calculated CFR of 3.4% doesn't scare you because that is BAD.

CFR will rise because deaths lag diagnosis and we are early in the growth curve. It has been steadily rising. It was 2% a month ago.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Recovery lags deaths lags diagnosis

I'm not sure if you are saying that it is unusually high deaths, in which case, remember: recoveries will go up.

Or are you saying a calculated CFR of 3.4% doesn't scare you because that is BAD.

CFR will rise because deaths lag diagnosis and we are early in the growth curve. It has been steadily rising. It was 2% a month ago.

That's a far cry from the 10% that was being claimed early on..

RedBlanketRunner

Opheophagus Hannah Cuddler
But sonE tricks of ventilation engineering and I can make extra neg rooms or make an entire ward neg.
If your hospital is JCAH certified, all patient rooms are negative pressure. Or rather, the hallways are positive pressure. A magnehelic must be placed in every hallway ventilation system and X reading maintained. etc etc.

Meanwhile, our municipality (Maejo -Chiang Mai) had it's first case yesterday, and it's a community sourced.

Stay safe out there people. Maybe a little review of infection control P&Ps is in order. So easy to miss things or become a vector.

PS Weird shopping list: 50 kg of H2O2 50%, 500 kg isopropyl alcohol 70%. Sourced from chemical supply house, $145.

Last edited:

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
And 4,800 people in the US have also died from regular flu this year already. Yet no one is hitting any panic buttons over that...

Summit

Critical Crazy
The market will panic.

People need to get ahold of themselves and show dignity in the face of adversity.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
And in other news...kids drown in swimming pools, drunk drivers kill thousands each year...

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
You don't need to post the same information in separate threads @Kavsuvb

COVID-19 is a big nothing burger. The panic is unnecessary. We have been through SARS, Ebola, AIDS, MERS, Bird Flu, Swine Flu, Zika, West Nile, etc etc etc..... each one was supposed to wipe out the planet. COVID-19 is in a family of viruses that include the common cold; while it is a new mutant virus (novel) there is no need for all the hooplah. We will go on- we will survive...."Life...uhhh... finds a way."

This will spread, just like the flu and the cold. The mortality rate is very low. It has only been lethal in older patients with compromising comorbidites, unlike the flu which kills many thousands per year, both young and old, as others have stated in the other thread. It will just be a regular old flu like illness that people get during the corona season (not summer.)

Wash your hands, keep your hands off your face, buy some little saniwipes and wipe down public spaces you're utilizing, and avoid sick people. Simple.