Community Paramedic Programs

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
Community Paramedic Programs. What do those involved actually do? Any value in them or is it a waste of time and money? Curious if it would cut down on "frequent flyers?"

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Community Paramedic Programs. What do those involved actually do? Any value in them or is it a waste of time and money? Curious if it would cut down on "frequent flyers?"
Splitting this out if Directionless Thread into it's own so it doesn't get lost.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s a waste of time. I think it depends on the service, and how much time they put into the program.

Like anything, the more you put in, the more you’ll yield. Nothing wrong with educating the gen. public, deferring proper resources, and using them accordingly. It just takes some effort on both said services and patient’s population behalf’s.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I think it is a good program to follow up with people after ER visits. Or in rural areas.
My PT job is at least 2 hours to the hospital, and it can be another 2 hours to a patient. And we have a large Reservation that straddles a state line; with very little medical care there. It would be great if EMS could follow up with them, supervisor pick up their medications for them and deliver them and follow up with them.
When Indians get a ride home from the hospital the driver isn't supposed to stop at the pharmacy so that they can get scripts filled, even though they have to drive through the town (and usually stop and get fuel) to take them home. EMS could fill that gap for them

FiremanMike

Just a dude
The sky is the limit, so to speak.

Some programs focus solely on fall prevention. Some focus on working with the hospitals to prevent readmission. Some work essentially as social workers, helping connect patients with resources. Other programs may work solely on reducing repeat 911 callers.

To my knowledge, there is no "standard of care" for CP programs, and you are free to identify the needs in your community and develop a program to address those needs.

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
Like the others have said they very greatly and do have an effect, but it's not gonna be a magical cure for system abuse and caller diversion. Speaking very generally from the 911 call center side of the system diversion programs (including social worker type teams) are generally redirecting between 5 -10% of calls in highly successful systems. Many it's less, and probably due to newer programs or under utilization. It's nothing to sniff at, but hard to justify to the government powers at be, especially in smaller systems that are cash strapped.

I also work in a rural county 900ish sq miles with the marshland, 5 rigs, and our in-county hospital downgrading to a freestanding ER. We would love to do a program, but it's low on our budgetary list.

When we have talked about it and priced it out. It has been for almost a remote clinic/follow up setup.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Every county EMS agency near me has started up a program and puts what they do on their website. Personally, I think it's a great way for a paramedic to be able to do something besides always be on the ambulance, and be proactive instead of reactive to their patient populations.

And this is out of California

Intothefog

Forum Probie
I don’t want to end up taking a community paramedic course out of state only to find out California doesn’t recognize it. Is it pretty standard among all states? Maybe I should wait until I find one in California.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I don’t want to end up taking a community paramedic course out of state only to find out California doesn’t recognize it. Is it pretty standard among all states? Maybe I should wait until I find one in California.
Might be your best option seeing as California is a beast unto itself when it comes to EMS.

DrParasite

do you work for an agency that has a CP program? what are their requirements? what are the requirements to hold a California CP certification? does it really matter?

Many/most of the CP programs I have seen do not require a CP certification. in fact, most will accept someone into the CP program, and then put them through a CP course, or teach them what they need to know in house.

I think you need to do a little more research about your own agency's and state's requirements before you start looking at a CP course.

berkeman

Forum Lieutenant
When Indians get a ride home from the hospital the driver isn't supposed to stop at the pharmacy so that they can get scripts filled, even though they have to drive through the town (and usually stop and get fuel) to take them home.
I'm curious why that is. Seems counterproductive -- who typically drives these patients home?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Interesting to note that it doesn’t look like CP-C actually requires NRP…seems like EMTs are eligible? The exam outline looks to not have many interventions out of EMT scope & only seems to include a few things beyond EMT curriculum as far as clinical care goes (wound care devices & labs).

DrParasite

Interesting to note that it doesn’t look like CP-C actually requires NRP…seems like EMTs are eligible? The exam outline looks to not have many interventions out of EMT scope & only seems to include a few things beyond EMT curriculum as far as clinical care goes (wound care devices & labs).
as per
CP-C ELIGIBILITY
To obtain certification, the candidate must hold an unrestricted license or certificate to practice as a EMT, paramedic, or other nursing or community health worker with appropriate education and training as defined by local rule or regulation.

supreme

Forum Crew Member
as per
CP-C ELIGIBILITY
To obtain certification, the candidate must hold an unrestricted license or certificate to practice as a EMT, paramedic, or other nursing or community health worker with appropriate education and training as defined by local rule or regulation.

Their website is horrible. This makes me question how valid/how much weight any of their certifications are if they can't even run an up to date website.

Q: What are the eligibility requirements for taking the CP-C Exam?
A: Exam candidates must have a valid, unrestricted paramedic license or certificate and must submit proof of learning in the Community Paramedic domain and/or the completed verification by the medical director or the medical director's designee verifying knowledge and understanding of the Community Paramedic role and scope in the community in which they operate.

Q: What are the requirements to sit for the FP-C and/or CCP-C Exam?
A: Candidates are required to provide proof of a valid, state or national paramedic license. However, the exams focus on the knowledge level of accomplished, experienced critical care paramedics. It is recommended that candidates have at least 3 year’s experience in a busy ALS system and maintain a significant knowledge of current ACLS, PALS, Neonatal Resuscitation, and ITLS/PHTLS standards. Click here for a complete list of EXAM REQUIREMENTS.

• Candidates must hold a current unrestricted paramedic license in the state or country of practice to qualify for the FP-C®, CCP-C®, CP-C® or the TP-C® exam.

CharlotteGriffin

Forum Probie
There certainly can be plenty of value to community paramedicine, the agencies just have to support it.

OP
OP
O

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
I would think that it could put a dent in the number of calls that don't require an ambulance. We have quite a few folks that need to be reminded to take their meds, or just other contact that could minimize the actual ambulance runs to actual emergencies. The "I haven't felt well for a week, but tonight at midnight, I decided to call." calls.

supreme

Forum Crew Member
Sounds like public health nursing.
Sort of. Most counties when public health nursing started provided case management services for everyone in the county. Funding dried up so now it’s mostly grants tied to specific populations for case management services or hospital funding for case management services to prevent readmissions.

I don’t see how community paramedicine will survive without a funding source. Are there any insurances which will allow you to bill for community paramedic services?

otherwise it’s going to run into the same problems with funding that public health nursing did

Nobody wants to fund public health for the whole community. Sure they’ll find the funds for specific populations but I haven’t seen anywhere in the United States which focuses on the promotion of public health for the entire county and not a subset