Community Paramedic Programs

Old Tracker

Forum Captain
Community Paramedic Programs. What do those involved actually do? Any value in them or is it a waste of time and money? Curious if it would cut down on "frequent flyers?"

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Community Paramedic Programs. What do those involved actually do? Any value in them or is it a waste of time and money? Curious if it would cut down on "frequent flyers?"
Splitting this out if Directionless Thread into it's own so it doesn't get lost.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s a waste of time. I think it depends on the service, and how much time they put into the program.

Like anything, the more you put in, the more you’ll yield. Nothing wrong with educating the gen. public, deferring proper resources, and using them accordingly. It just takes some effort on both said services and patient’s population behalf’s.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I think it is a good program to follow up with people after ER visits. Or in rural areas.
My PT job is at least 2 hours to the hospital, and it can be another 2 hours to a patient. And we have a large Reservation that straddles a state line; with very little medical care there. It would be great if EMS could follow up with them, supervisor pick up their medications for them and deliver them and follow up with them.
When Indians get a ride home from the hospital the driver isn't supposed to stop at the pharmacy so that they can get scripts filled, even though they have to drive through the town (and usually stop and get fuel) to take them home. EMS could fill that gap for them

FiremanMike

EMS Coordinator
The sky is the limit, so to speak.

Some programs focus solely on fall prevention. Some focus on working with the hospitals to prevent readmission. Some work essentially as social workers, helping connect patients with resources. Other programs may work solely on reducing repeat 911 callers.

To my knowledge, there is no "standard of care" for CP programs, and you are free to identify the needs in your community and develop a program to address those needs.

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
Like the others have said they very greatly and do have an effect, but it's not gonna be a magical cure for system abuse and caller diversion. Speaking very generally from the 911 call center side of the system diversion programs (including social worker type teams) are generally redirecting between 5 -10% of calls in highly successful systems. Many it's less, and probably due to newer programs or under utilization. It's nothing to sniff at, but hard to justify to the government powers at be, especially in smaller systems that are cash strapped.

I also work in a rural county 900ish sq miles with the marshland, 5 rigs, and our in-county hospital downgrading to a freestanding ER. We would love to do a program, but it's low on our budgetary list.

When we have talked about it and priced it out. It has been for almost a remote clinic/follow up setup.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Every county EMS agency near me has started up a program and puts what they do on their website. Personally, I think it's a great way for a paramedic to be able to do something besides always be on the ambulance, and be proactive instead of reactive to their patient populations.

And this is out of California

Intothefog

Forum Ride Along
I don’t want to end up taking a community paramedic course out of state only to find out California doesn’t recognize it. Is it pretty standard among all states? Maybe I should wait until I find one in California.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I don’t want to end up taking a community paramedic course out of state only to find out California doesn’t recognize it. Is it pretty standard among all states? Maybe I should wait until I find one in California.
Might be your best option seeing as California is a beast unto itself when it comes to EMS.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
do you work for an agency that has a CP program? what are their requirements? what are the requirements to hold a California CP certification? does it really matter?

Many/most of the CP programs I have seen do not require a CP certification. in fact, most will accept someone into the CP program, and then put them through a CP course, or teach them what they need to know in house.

I think you need to do a little more research about your own agency's and state's requirements before you start looking at a CP course.

berkeman

Forum Lieutenant
When Indians get a ride home from the hospital the driver isn't supposed to stop at the pharmacy so that they can get scripts filled, even though they have to drive through the town (and usually stop and get fuel) to take them home.
I'm curious why that is. Seems counterproductive -- who typically drives these patients home?