Colored Gloves

gradygirl

TROUBLE
You ever tried the cotton liners for gloves? They're not perfect, but they do help.

Not a bad idea. Only, I wear my gloves as tight as I can, I don't like baggy gloves, so I don't know how well they would fit. -shrugs- But hey, it's certainly worth a try.

Do they help with the nasty Nitrile smell, too?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I don't know about the nitrile smell, we use latex here.

OP
OP
MedicPrincess

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Did you ever find your hot pink nitrile gloves you want? I have some...I get them from the bio labs at school...I can look up the brand and order number if you'd like me to...just email or PM me.

No. And you have PM.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Gloves!

Kimberly Clark sells niltrile gloves that are a pretty purple color

Celtictigeress

Forum Captain
I want Pink Nitrile my damn allergies wit Latex dont permit me to use latex...everyone uses latex and I have Barney gloves...if you can get the brand number for the pink Id love you for life

sp121988

Forum Probie
I Know There Are Purple Gloves Out There

B) If you look on rxzone.com or walgreens.com or Drugstore.com you can find the "SafeSkin" purple nitrile gloves! (personally, I really like them)B)

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
The only thing I have against latex gloves is that soon after I put them on, I become a patient too! It would be wise to use nitrile around me.:)

Me too! But ran into my first patient with an allergy to the nitrile gloves the other day. Was an interesting situation, I can't wear latex and can't touch the patient with the nitrile. Ended up finding a pair of the vinyl cleaning type gloves and wearing those over the nitrile.

Also, I've used the liners and the only thing worse than pulling off a wet, sweaty glove is dealing with that wet sopping cotton liner. They do absorb but I think its better to just change gloves often.

Recycled Words

Forum Crew Member
Also, I've used the liners and the only thing worse than pulling off a wet, sweaty glove is dealing with that wet sopping cotton liner. They do absorb but I think its better to just change gloves often.

I never have too long a ride to a hospital (there are 3 including a trauma center within a 10 minute radius) so it's not often that I have an issue with my gloves getting sweaty, but if I'm on scene for a while or they get sweaty for some other reason, I usually keep a handful in my lower pants pocket (also useful in case I forget to grab some on my way out of the rig or if someone on my crew forgot them, broke one, etc).

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't know about the nitrile smell, we use latex here.

How many systems still allow the use of Latex? Aside from those of us who have allergies to latex, so many patients are now latex sensitive, the liability of using latex gloves is huge.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
How many systems still allow the use of Latex? Aside from those of us who have allergies to latex, so many patients are now latex sensitive, the liability of using latex gloves is huge.
I don't know any systems in the Detroit area that use nitrile.

Recycled Words

Forum Crew Member
Our corps switched over to nitrile a while ago. I think most of the corps in the NY-metropolitan area use nitrile....

Latex poses too much of a liability, vinyl aren't as safe.

firecoins

IFT Puppet

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
In the greater Baltimore metro area, most of the hospitals have both nitrile and latex gloves lying around. Some have only one or the other out. Most of the nursing homes have only latex out. But of the places that have only latex out, whether it's a hospital or nursing home, most do have nitrile (or vinyl) on hand somewhere, just in case.

NJN

The Young One
We carry both in the supply room at our service. Its up to each crew member what boxes go on the rig. I like using the purple nitrile, (honestly, who doesnt look good in purple) but there harder to put on than the latex when your hands are sweaty. Also it doesn't help to have very big hands (XL gloves all the way B) ). So i just accept to use the latex and those are what i carry on my whacker belt, when someone stocks the rig with XL nitrile (rarely but it does happen) i use them. Now i hope my hands wont sweat as much now that it will be colder (current temp 20F and snowing).

DisasterMedTech

Forum Crew Member
My experience has been:

Vinyl gloves are garbage, and should be left to grade school food service folks. They breach far to easily, tend to stick to your hands and not fit your hands properly as a result. When you have that vinyl webbing between your fingers, its an invitation for a ripped glove.

Latex should just be plain outlawed on rigs or anywhere else. Most patients, or anyone else for that matter, doesnt know they have a latex allergy until they break out in hives and their throat starts to swell. Then you are treating a patient for shock and not taking care of their original problem.

The best gloves are nitrile, hands down, as it were. I wear purples when thats all I have but I prefer the black gloves that are now being made by several manufacturers. They are billed as the toughest nitriles on the market, which I cant prove scientifically, but I do know that I have never, EVER had one break on me. Ive even tried to breach on using things that might happen in the field and its not easy to do. They even seem to be more resistant to needle sticks. Probably one reason why alot of military and police medics and LEOs have switched to them. Ive even seen nitriles in OD green, but havent had the chance to try them out yet. I usually bite the bullet and buy my own black nitriles because in my experience, most agencies, and hospitals, will generally supply their stock rooms with the cheapest garbage on the market too hold down cost...safety be damned.