Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
OP
OP
Lo2w

Lo2w

Forum Captain
So my Guard unit isn't letting me SUTA my March drill to come out for Denver Health's IV course. I'd like to make the most of the vacation time I've got out there that month. Anyone know of any of the services that would let me ride along for part of a shift or at the very least have an admin/HR that would give me a tour around and talk about their service?

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Air life allows third riders. Memorial star used to have third riders but they've since been bought out so I don't know if their service still does. FFL doesn't allow for third riders as their helicopters are prohibitively small.

The majority of fire departments allow 3rd riders. South metro, west metro, and federal heights both run their own ambulances. Castle rock, larkspur, trilakes, and black forest also run their own ambulances and a reasonable close to denver, but are all pretty low volume.

Denver health has third riders, but its usually pretty full with paramedic students and residents. I believe northglenn has third riders, and they have two ambulances in the city. I don't think riding on Faulk is worth much given their current situation with Aurora. Stadium would be entertaining if you get them when they are covering a rave or certain concerts, but I've never seen them with third riders. AMR is okay depending on where they are at, boulder supposedly has a good operation; AMR in Denver is almost exclusively transfers.

I can't imagine most services wouldn't let you have a tour around their programs. UC health is currently running their stroke ambulance which they are very proud of. All the flight services love to show off their product. DG certainly has a very unique program for the region.

OP
OP
Lo2w

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Air life allows third riders. Memorial star used to have third riders but they've since been bought out so I don't know if their service still does. FFL doesn't allow for third riders as their helicopters are prohibitively small.

The majority of fire departments allow 3rd riders. South metro, west metro, and federal heights both run their own ambulances. Castle rock, larkspur, trilakes, and black forest also run their own ambulances and a reasonable close to denver, but are all pretty low volume.

Denver health has third riders, but its usually pretty full with paramedic students and residents. I believe northglenn has third riders, and they have two ambulances in the city. I don't think riding on Faulk is worth much given their current situation with Aurora. Stadium would be entertaining if you get them when they are covering a rave or certain concerts, but I've never seen them with third riders. AMR is okay depending on where they are at, boulder supposedly has a good operation; AMR in Denver is almost exclusively transfers.

I can't imagine most services wouldn't let you have a tour around their programs. UC health is currently running their stroke ambulance which they are very proud of. All the flight services love to show off their product. DG certainly has a very unique program for the region.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions, should add I'm looking more at places I'm likely to get hired on as an EMT.

Peak

I worked at a fire department that ran our own ambulance so I can't really speak to privates or 3rd services as much.

Especially in urban areas the job market is pretty tough to get into, especially for EMTs. I would avoid most of the transfer groups only groups, even if they have decent patients (stadium for example) it can be difficult to break into the 911 system.

In the realm of easy to get into and also places with a decent reputation northglenn, AMR boulder, and AMR el Paso county pop to mind first. AMR pueblo and canon city also seem to run decent operations but you have to balance that with the... uh... locality.

From a career standpoint Colorado has a pretty high cost of living that the wages don't really match. I never had to live on EMT wages and I'm not honestly sure how people do it. As much as I may complain I do think that on average Colorado offers really good services and a good quality of living. If you are willing to work overtime and want to progress your career I think that it can be a great opportunity but if you want to live off of a regular emt pay check it will probably be very difficult.

OP
OP
Lo2w

Lo2w

Forum Captain
^ o trust me, I'm learning very much about the cost of living out there.

OP
OP
Lo2w

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Getting ROSC on my thread

Starting to apply, put in applications at 9 different hospitals so far and just looking to see if anyone had any leads. I'm coming out in July for my IV course and looking to move/start sometime August-September this year. Already hit one roadblock on getting passed over for an interview due to being out of state and encouraged to reapply when I move. I'm out there once a month to see my significant other, so coming out for interviews and making the time isn't hard.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I think having your IV class done prior to applying is important for many jobs.

OP
OP
Lo2w

Lo2w

Forum Captain
I think having your IV class done prior to applying is important for many jobs.

I've found it depends on the employer. UC Health wants it at application where others are happy to have it by hire or within a few months.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Yea, let me tell you as someone that did hiring for a bit that it is always looked better to have it ahead of time.

OP
OP
Lo2w

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Yea, let me tell you as someone that did hiring for a bit that it is always looked better to have it ahead of time.

I understand, I guess that's part of my frustration. If the behind the scenes expectation is the applicant to have it at application vs. Upon hire or within x days then advertise as such. Especially if it's specific to the state.

It's not like the ink on my EMT card is still wet.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Those that have everything done prior to applying, usually get hired first. That may be frustrating, but it’s good business.

OP
OP
Lo2w

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Those that have everything done prior to applying, usually get hired first. That may be frustrating, but it’s good business.

It's frustrating because it's not advertised as such. If an employer wants that completed as part of an application than list it, especially a course/cert that is specific to a state and unavailable elsewhere unlike ITLS, PEPP,TCCC, NIMS or AHA BLS.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
If a job lists a requirement, usually before or upon hire, then you should obtain it before. They are not concerned with your problems getting it. That’s the applicants worry.

OP
OP
Lo2w

Lo2w

Forum Captain
If a job lists a requirement, usually before or upon hire, then you should obtain it before. They are not concerned with your problems getting it. That’s the applicants worry.

You've clearly missed the point of what I've said.

I don't disagree with you when an application clearly states it as a requirement to apply.

My response was to Tiggers comment about it helping to have it at the time of application. If that's what a company wants then advertise as such. But don't penalize or overlook an otherwise qualified applicant when your posting states the certification is needed on the date of hire (not the date of application) or within x days of hire.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Even if it says you can take three months to get it, if another applicant already has it, wouldn't it just be all around easier for the agency to just hire the person with the certs, all things being equal?

Many times those time frames are used to give organizations some wiggle room in who they hire. For instance, we at times hired local volunteer firefighters PRN because we knew them and their work ethic, and then would help them get certifications within the 90 days. We got who we wanted, they got a job, and we knew that they would likely be motivated to get the certs. Taking that chance on a stranger was a different story.

Peak

If you have a ton of applicants then you are going to choose the best available. If there were only basics who haven't taken the IV class and they need to hire then they will hire those applicants, but if those with IV certification apply then that is who they are more likely to hire.

Its the same with years of experience. Just because there isn't a minimum experience listed doesn't mean that a emt with 2-3 years of experience isn't much more likely to be hired then someone fresh out of class.

Its not some subversion, its just how the market works when there is a larger supply of labor than available employment in a given field.

OP
OP
Lo2w

Lo2w

Forum Captain
...to think I just resurrected this to see if there's any leads.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
...to think I just resurrected this to see if there's any leads.
You said you applied, and hit roadblocks. The roadblocks were explained. I posted mostly to encourage you to get all the certs out of the way so as to not waste your efforts applying to positions that you will likely be passed over for. Guess I should have been more clear. Also a word to the wise, getting a little snarky with the people that actually have the leads is not how to get them.

If you need a job now, you could do worse than this place: icareambulance.com. The name is lame, the work is probably not the best, but they pay better than most of the other privates and allegedly take care of people.

I would not expect the hookup on any 911 jobs at smaller services just based on the internet. Most of those places want you to be established in the region first. The big 911 ops are pretty corporate in their application process so that kind of stuff matters a lot less.