clinicals

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
If things quiet down during your clinicals and you are looking for stuff to do, ask to follow the patient places such as the ICU, cath lab, OR, interventional neuroradiology lab. Go and ask questions.

scientia potentia est

Yes, do this. When they page out a code blue in the er, or that a truama alert is inbound, you can run to the emergency room! It'll be just like on t.v.

OP
OP
emergancyjunkie

emergancyjunkie

Forum Crew Member
So I have 12 hours done of my 40 on the ambulance and got one call that ended with a refusal.

Sent from my Desire HD

Nervegas

Forum Lieutenant
So I have 12 hours done of my 40 on the ambulance and got one call that ended with a refusal.

Sent from my Desire HD

That sounds like a typical day in a rural/suburban setting. When I did my medic MICU roations (10 24 hr shifts) we averaged about 2 calls a shift. My last 24 we ran 0.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

Sent from my Desire HD

Eh, that's EMS for ya, you can get bombarded with calls, have no calls or anything between. It sucks sometimes, especially as a student, but it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
emergancyjunkie

emergancyjunkie

Forum Crew Member
It still was an exciting day looking forward to more time on the ambulance aswell as getting to know the medics and emts at the company

Sent from my Desire HD

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Come hang for 12 hours here. We did 14 runs in 12 hours with 10 transports the other day.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Come hang for 12 hours here. We did 14 runs in 12 hours with 10 transports the other day.

Gah, you guys work too much, gotta learn to relax every now and then :p

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I like it! I'm trying to see if I can get on a 3x16 hour box for my internship instead of the usual 4x12.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I like it! I'm trying to see if I can get on a 3x16 hour box for my internship instead of the usual 4x12.

Haha, whatever floats your boat :p

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes, do this. When they page out a code blue in the er, or that a truama alert is inbound, you can run to the emergency room! It'll be just like on t.v.

I was shadowing in the ER the other day and a "Rapid Response" (not a code, but about to be one) was paged to ER radiology where one of my docs patients was at the time. We, along with some of the ER nurses, briskly jogged there.

Anjel

Forum Angel

Anjel

Forum Angel
Is being bad at spelling going to effect being an emt

Sent from my Desire HD

It is if you expect people to take you seriously.

And there things that if you just switch one or two letters it means something entirely different.

Sasha

Forum Chief
You should at least be able to spell your title...

That said, I will google words I'm unsure of the spelling while writing reports. Your report is a legal document, it should be legible, neat, in black ink (or on a computer) with no spelling errors.

18G

Paramedic
You should at least be able to spell your title...

That said, I will google words I'm unsure of the spelling while writing reports. Your report is a legal document, it should be legible, neat, in black ink (or on a computer) with no spelling errors.

What she said ^^^. I do the exact same thing and Google words I'm unsure of. There are many times I know I have spelled a word a thousand times and for some reason that 1,001 time I can't remember. And than we have the words that no matter how many times I look them up I can never remember their spelling... for example... rendezvous. That z and v messes me up all the time.. lol. But instead of looking like an idiot in my report I ALWAYS have to look that word up to make sure it is spelled correctly.

Trust me... spelling really does matter especially when you get the "little" words wrong like emergency.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Is being bad at spelling going to effect being an emt

Sent from my Desire HD

Yes it will. Not only is your run sheet a legal document, but if your work for an agency that bills, the run sheet becomes the basis for the patient's bill. Plus, many company's have QI programs where run slips are read for content, no better way to lose credibility than having poor spelling in your narrative. Grammar and syntax counts too (that means proper pronunciation!).