clinicals

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Don't kill anyway. If hospital clinicals.... Offer to clean beds, etc... when there is nothing going on. It will make them more likley to let you do cool stuff when there IS something going on.

Ask questions if you do not understand something. Don't do something you are unsure about, just ask. That is why you are there.

Good luck, and have fun!!

Strap

Forum Crew Member
When I did my EMT-B ER clinicals, there were always a couple paramedic students there on the same shift doing their clinicals. I always latched on to them right away. All of PM students I encountered were friendly and helpful, and willing to show me things and let me watch them do things. Maybe they sensed the fear and total cluelessness in my eyes, so they had a little sympathy. :) Plus I guess it was a chance for them to show off a little for a rookie. And if I had a question, I was more comfortable asking the PM students than I was asking the nurses.

Trauma_Junkie

No rest for the wicked...
Don't kill anyway. If hospital clinicals.... Offer to clean beds, etc... when there is nothing going on. It will make them more likley to let you do cool stuff when there IS something going on.

Ask questions if you do not understand something. Don't do something you are unsure about, just ask. That is why you are there.

Good luck, and have fun!!

I second what mcdonl said. Take every moment that you can to learn from the experience at clinicals and interact with the staff.

EMTSTUDENT25

Forum Lieutenant
Make sure you are early to each site, especially when your going to be on the ambulances. There were people in my class who were late to their IFT clinical and the rigs left them. Dispatch had to call 2 trucks back to pick up students. Can you say Embarrassing?

Ask questions (at the right times) and DO NOT negatively question the emt/medics treatment decision.

Be as aggressive with patient contact as allowed, dont be shy, your there for the experience.

Try not to freeze up if you see something you were not ready for..

Have fun!

tylerp1

Forum Crew Member
I couldn't agree more with what everybody else has said. When I was doing my Paramedic clinicals in-house, I would clean and stock rooms (it may have helped that I was an ER tech for 4 years). If you show them that you're willing to get your hands dirty and not sit on your butt, they will come to YOU to do various things: start IVs, draw blood, give meds, etc. Being familiar where everything is located can also be helpful in stressful situations!

Just be wholeheartedly interested during your clinicals and you can't go wrong.

OP
OP
emergancyjunkie

emergancyjunkie

Forum Crew Member
I don't think there gonna let me start Iv's seeing that I'm only doing my emt-b clinicals right now I'm going for paramedic in a couple years

EMTSTUDENT25

Forum Lieutenant
If its not in your curriculum then I would say probably not. Although EKG's were not taught in our basic class however we were allowed to learn and assist with those...who knows. Guess its not comparing apples to apples.

OP
OP
emergancyjunkie

emergancyjunkie

Forum Crew Member
assisting in ekgs is in ours as well as assisting with Ivs but that would mainly be in spiking the bag and preparing the line while the medic is sticking the patient

EMTSTUDENT25

Forum Lieutenant
gotcha, well then they wont have you starting any. IV therapy is in our scope in the state of TN, so we were required to get at least 5 successfull sticks.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Eyes and ears open, mouth shut unless it's to ask a question is always a good start.

EMTSTUDENT25

Forum Lieutenant
were licensed in the state of TN as EMT-IV, however as far as NR is concerned we are NREMT-B. So, were are trained in IV therapy and are allowed to do it anyware in the state, agency permitting. Although in FL where I live now, I'm considered EMT-B by the state and NR.

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Eyes and ears open, mouth shut unless it's to ask a question is always a good start.

don't be annoying

These posts pretty much sum it up.

There isnt going to be much that you can do to help out in the ER, so stay out of the way and be attentive. Ask questions, but ask them at the appropriate time (not in the middle of compressions).

Offer to help change sheets only if you wish, you are there to learn, not be somebody's errand boy.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
There were people in my class who were late to their IFT clinical and the rigs left them. Dispatch had to call 2 trucks back to pick up students.

They are lucky they called the trucks back. Here you might get lucky and get a ride with a sup out to the truck, getting an earful the whole time, or usually end up missing the ride without opportunity to reschedule giving you a 0.