Cleveland to merge FD and EMS

medic417

The Truth Provider
Brings to mind a song went something like another one bites the dust.

I just hope they do it right for the patients sake.

atropine

Forum Captain
Well maybe the ems guys will get a chance to be dual role and make more cash.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Well maybe the ems guys will get a chance to be dual role and make more cash.

Yes and lower patient care standards even more. What a bargain. More recliner time and less patient care.:rolleyes:

alphatrauma

Forum Captain

atropine

Forum Captain
Yes and lower patient care standards even more. What a bargain. More recliner time and less patient care.:rolleyes:

How does that lower patient care standards, and recliner time, unless you work there do you know for a fact that all they do is chill out on the lazy-boys, I am just asking.

medic417

The Truth Provider
How does that lower patient care standards, and recliner time, unless you work there do you know for a fact that all they do is chill out on the lazy-boys, I am just asking.

Oh I forgot play video games, watch dirty movies, and sleep.:rolleyes: As we can now clearly see there just will be no time left to concern themselves with improving patient care.

terrible one

Always wandering

You work for LAFD right? So you've seen LAcoFD EMS operations first hand, are you comfortable with a majority of their medics treating your family members? Honestly?
Because I know I sure don't. Of course there are always exceptions to this, some of their medics are outstanding but they are definitley not the majority.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Mayor Frank Jackson said both agencies provide superior services, but the city needs to explore ways to save money in tough economic times and deliver higher quality services.
good, so I guess we can expect to see the merger of the police and fire department next, in order to save money during tough economic times?

eynonqrs

Forum Lieutenant
Great, another excuse for fireman to save their jobs. I wish luck to the EMS guys and gals, be prepared to be outcasts like a read headed step child.

atropine

Forum Captain
Oh I forgot play video games, watch dirty movies, and sleep.:rolleyes: As we can now clearly see there just will be no time left to concern themselves with improving patient care.

I don't think the mayor would hand over the ems section of his city to a disfunctional department, I have been to several confrences and believe that CFD is one of the higher standar departments, so I fail to see how this is going to be a bad thing, I myself work for one of the busiest fire epartments around and I can assure you inbetween call we are training on something, and very raley get to watch tv, and paly video games.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Okay, so... the EMT's are going to cross-train as firemen, and if a fire call goes out, they will put the fire out with their on-board extinguishers and then leave the cleanup to a private service, right?

You see how the dual role thing doesn't work so well when you put the EMS first... It only seems better the other way because people are used to it that way. Like so much in EMS, if it worked for Johnny and Roy, it must be fine for us.

atropine

Forum Captain
Okay, so... the EMT's are going to cross-train as firemen, and if a fire call goes out, they will put the fire out with their on-board extinguishers and then leave the cleanup to a private service, right?

You see how the dual role thing doesn't work so well when you put the EMS first... It only seems better the other way because people are used to it that way. Like so much in EMS, if it worked for Johnny and Roy, it must be fine for us.

I fail to see where you are going with this, most fire departments today have a buisness like mentality, to you get the whole pakage, if you put out a fire you stay for the overhaul as well, customer servide is number one and with todays economic issues it's hard to say who does a better job, but if the public is happy then that who you deliever too.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
I fail to see where you are going with this, most fire departments today have a buisness like mentality, to you get the whole pakage, if you put out a fire you stay for the overhaul as well, customer servide is number one and with todays economic issues it's hard to say who does a better job, but if the public is happy then that who you deliever too.

I'm not even sure I know what that paragraph means. But yes, you get the whole package for a fire.

For EMS, you may or may not get "full service" - you may just get five medics who haven't dropped a tube in a real person in three years on a big red fire engine, who then hand you over to a private ambulance to transport.

So, as to "where I was going" - the point is that nobody would buy an EMS service with fire suppression as an afterthought. Why is the reverse - a fire department that does EMS to make a little money on the side - deemed acceptable?

atropine

Forum Captain
I'm not even sure I know what that paragraph means. But yes, you get the whole package for a fire.

For EMS, you may or may not get "full service" - you may just get five medics who haven't dropped a tube in a real person in three years on a big red fire engine, who then hand you over to a private ambulance to transport.

So, as to "where I was going" - the point is that nobody would buy an EMS service with fire suppression as an afterthought. Why is the reverse - a fire department that does EMS to make a little money on the side - deemed acceptable?

Okay I gotcha, I am sorry kind of ramble on that last post, but I guess I would have to anser is that fire suppression ems is the standar and until that changes, and from what level it is going to be a constant. Iam not sure how it works in New Jersey, but around her most fire medic are on the ambulance and squads, or engines in somed cases and always get first hand patient contact, dropping tubes wheather your on the ambulance/squad or enging is not that big a deal, my department does not use private ambulances, but some do and they are bls unless the fire medics go with them so I guess it works where I live and play.

terrible one

Always wandering
So your ok with LAcoFD medics treating your family?

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
I don't think the mayor would hand over the ems section of his city to a disfunctional department

Four letters: FDNY.

Best of luck to the EMTs and paramedics who will now be prisoners and outcasts at their own place of employment.

R.P.D.L.T.B.
RIP Cleveland EMS

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Aw damn it to the bowels of bloody hell!

stewie-griffin-family-guy-psd29223.png

terrible one

Always wandering
Haha well can't comment on riverside, but I wouldn't let LAcoFD near me or my dying loved ones. I'd take my chances and drive myself