Cleveland to merge FD and EMS

Veneficus

Forum Chief
being from the area...

I cannot realistically see a merger between Clevelan EMS and Fire as detrimental to patient care. At least not any more detrimental than it is now.

While I am generally against merging fire and EMS, in this particular case, EMS did nothing to protect its interests over more than 2 decades, during the same time, fire department paramedics were operating under the same protocols, the same medical director, and transporting patients.

In the later half of the time period, both EMS and the FD sent their EMTs to the same college for medic. Additionally, no cleveland firefighter is required to be a medic, those who are chose to be. Some even paid for the schooling themelves. Many of the FD medics (close to 70%) work a second job at some of the regions best hospitals. EMS actually discourages and even terminates providers for working outside of their service.

The failure of Cleveland EMS rests soley on their administration. In the last 20years they have done nothing but fight to relive the "glory days" of the 70s. The field providers faught (often via union action) to even minimally increase services provided. The current leadership only under threat made any effort to save their service. Too little too late. I could probably write a book on it.

Because of these issues, EMS saw a massive brain drain and lost many highly skilled providers. The best ones that stuck it out do so only because of their proximity to retirement. New paramedic grads in the area wouldn't even consider EMS as a job. Can you even imagine trying to recruit experienced people with vintage protocols, a paramilitary probation where you have to stand at attention when people enter the room, and immediate mandatory overtime?

It is unfortunate that the providers will likely be treated poorly by the FD. But it may help considerably to reduce provider usage, though the volume is too high for the 24/48 the FD uses.

the FD is a skills based culture, where rapid transport and return to service is the measure of EMS, but in this case the 3rdservice is exactly the same.

In all fairness, in this case the FD can do at least equal and with the FD administration it is more likely the EMS component will advance than if it remains seperate.

Attachments

• CEMSposterresize.jpg
    CEMSposterresize.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 14

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
That was then, this is now.

if it worked for Johnny and Roy, it must be fine for us.

Of course it worked for Johnny and Roy...it was in the script! And how could that be biased? Oh, wait, the production was dependent on cooperation with LAFD. Naturally, they'd have no investment in how things are portrayed.

You put a bullseye on your butt with that one, my brother. The arguments about Fire and EMS relationships rage on while most medics here agree, EMS as portrayed by the popular media is bogus.

Johnny and Roy were effective agents of propaganda. You probably wouldn't have been in EMS as long as you have were it not for them. They literally put us into the fantasy of the profession (which this site is designed to debunk) and the whole country jumped on board, accelerating the field exponentially.

Johnny and Roy are like ancient Hawaiian gods; the people invent them when they are needed. The country needed the myth of EMS to raise what was a dismal standard of care in the 1960's. They did their jobs and honestly, my most gracious respect goes with them. AND just like what the Hawaiians do with their Gods, it is time for us to fire them!

There's a pun in there I didn't anticipate or intend; chew on that one!!

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Haha well can't comment on riverside, but I wouldn't let LAcoFD near me or my dying loved ones. I'd take my chances and drive myself

At least they are better than the 12 week Parmaedic wonders at the Houston Fire Department! :p

medic417

The Truth Provider
At least they are better than the 12 week Parmaedic wonders at the Houston Fire Department! :p

Not even based on what I've heard. :unsure:

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Four letters: FDNY.

Best of luck to the EMTs and paramedics who will now be prisoners and outcasts at their own place of employment.

R.P.D.L.T.B.
RIP Cleveland EMS

http://fdnyemswebsite.com/

I have two cousins that left for hosp based EMS after suffering through the merger. At least the FDNY still kept EMS and fire as seperate roles, though.

Also, judging by your signature, you're practically home free. When's the date of your state final?

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
http://fdnyemswebsite.com/

I have two cousins that left for hosp based EMS after suffering through the merger. At least the FDNY still kept EMS and fire as seperate roles, though.

Also, judging by your signature, you're practically home free. When's the date of your state final?

Registry practical is July 31st. Written should be a few days after that. Should have cert in hand by mid-August.

terrible one

Always wandering
Now I am worried; you'd think the 6 month LACoFD PTI wonders be at 2x as good as the 12 week Houston Fire Department wonders :p

I really don't know how much worse you can be than LAcoFD. I almost don't think it is possible

terrible one

Always wandering
Well after spending 3 years working with them I've seen enough to make my judgement.

Shocking PEA rhythms, dozens upon dozens of missed tubes, Repeated Albuterol for cardiac wheezes, Static shocks, Attempts at pacing a non-symptomatic Brady pt (fully alert/oriented), spending 20,30,40 minutes on scene of a single critical trauma victim so they can get an IV, BLSing: abd pain pt after High Speed Rollover with ejection/ Altered Mental Status with knife wounds/ Alerted Mental Status post 15' fall (after staying on scene 15min to confirm it was 12' so the medics don't have to ride in), etc... I could go on all day.

They do have some good medics, but the majority are underqualified/unskilled who didn't want to be medics anyway. I have no problem with them on an individual level, I just don't agree with making FFs who don't want to be a medic, medics. I'm sure they have their reasons though.