Class starting, need a list.

Ian

Forum Crew Member
Alright everyone, I've started my EMT-B class, and though I don't have money to throw around, I was given one very nice gift because of my issues with scheduling. I was given a PDA from my girlfriends father as a gift, very wonderful gesture. Now, I've been thinking about some stuff I need. I don't know what I need other than new boots, and navy tactical pants(I prefer tactical pants because of my days playing paintball, and the FD I will ride with has no restriction on pants except no jeans, and has to be black/navy.) I'd like to keep what I have on me to a bare minimuim, so for now my list only consist of two clothing articals. Please add on what you found useful and what you didn't. Alot of this stuff will be what I take to my first job, as I don't have alot of money, I have to buy things over time, and I treasure and take care of my stuff.

Currently I carry to class with me;

PDA
Three ring binder
Backpack
Huge notebook(I take alot of notes)
4 pencils 2 black pens
Anything else you guys consider a nessecity for taking to class?

For ride alongs, and clinical work I have;

Scrubs(for ER and ICU) and nothing else yet.

What I know I will need is Tactical pants in Navy(any good brands?) and combat style boots(once agian, any brand?) All my paintball stuff has paintball marks all over it, and they won't wash out. Like I said, I have to buy stuff over time, so I will need to start getting this stuff by Thursday, even if I don't start clinical and ride alongs for a while. The pants and boots will probably last me until they die, or I need a different color.

Thanks in advanced. I really don't like carrying alot of stuff, so if you have any cool gadgets that turn two essentials into one, let me know! :) Also, are there any PDA programs that can be useful to me? I know of one with drug dosing, but I don't need that yet I don't think, and I know of one that gives 750 NR exam questions, but it cost alot of money which I won't have yet. My PDA is Windows Pocket PC thingy.

OP
OP
I

Ian

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Jul 19 2005, 08:23 PM
I took myself, a legal pad and two pens...

Why over do it?
I guess that would be a good motto, and I will adhere to it during ride alongs. But I was just wondering if anyone found anything else to be useful. I'm certianly fine with what I have, but I always make a list, wether I'm packing for a camping trip, or anything else. Myself, and my family do not have the cash to throw around on some unforseen cost, so it's better for me to ask now, find out if I need anything else, and not. Than to not ask at all, become trapped in a situation I don't understand and wasn't prepared for in the first place. :) Thanks for your input.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I would wait until you get to the class and find out their dress code for your clinicals. When I took my class, we were specifically prohibited from wearing any type of EMS/duty clothing so as not to look like the "real medics".

Why spend the money now if you don't have to?

OP
OP
I

Ian

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by ffemt8978@Jul 19 2005, 08:35 PM
I would wait until you get to the class and find out their dress code for your clinicals. When I took my class, we were specifically prohibited from wearing any type of EMS/duty clothing so as not to look like the "real medics".

Why spend the money now if you don't have to?
I've already been to one class and signed the waivers, and have the dress code sitting infront of me. I am to wear black or blue pants that are not jeans. (The only black pants I have are dress pants)some type of boot, my instructor told me that it's a good idea to wear longer rather than shorter boots. I will be wearing my class shirt on ride along and clinicals, which has the words EMT-B Student on the front and back.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
We had to wear dress pants/skirt and button down shirt (tie for men) for our ER and OR rotations. They let us change into hospital issued scrubs for OR, but for the ER, CCU, ICU, etc we wore our dress clothes plus lab coats given to us by the hospital (this was at several hospitals in our County).

For ride-a-longs each Corps or FD usually makes you wear whatever their probies wear (pants/shirt, turnout, coveralls, etc).

OP
OP
I

Ian

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Jul 19 2005, 08:39 PM
We had to wear dress pants/skirt and button down shirt (tie for men) for our ER and OR rotations. They let us change into hospital issued scrubs for OR, but for the ER, CCU, ICU, etc we wore our dress clothes plus lab coats given to us by the hospital (this was at several hospitals in our County).

For ride-a-longs each Corps or FD usually makes you wear whatever their probies wear (pants/shirt, turnout, coveralls, etc).
Aye, I already have both of my dress codes, for the ER it's my class shirt and scrub bottoms. :) I'm not too worried about that stuff, but what about things like stethascopes and pen lights? Do I need those now or can they wait until I get a job? Like I said, it's really an issue of spreading out what I spend over a long period of time. :) And remember, these are things that will last me from the time I start ridealongs and clinical hours, til I have to buy replacements.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
keep your equipmewnt to the bare minumum. theres a joke in this business about how to tell the newest guy around......find the guy with the most stuff on his belt.

my daily carry items:

radio
nextel
t-shears
folding knife
a pen light
scope

thats it

OP
OP
I

Ian

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by KEVD18@Jul 19 2005, 09:54 PM
keep your equipmewnt to the bare minumum. theres a joke in this business about how to tell the newest guy around......find the guy with the most stuff on his belt.

my daily carry items:

radio
nextel
t-shears
folding knife
a pen light
scope

thats it
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for! :D

TJC

Forum Probie
My advice is definitely don't over do it. We were supplied everything we needed for clincals except our uniforms. For class we needed something to take notes on, a binder for handouts, pens for writing (ink only!), and a highlighter for marking important sections of the text. Unless your planning to do some volunteer work as a first responder I wouldn't worry much about supplies other than a set of ears and a CPR pocket mask to keep in your POV.

OP
OP
I

Ian

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by TJC@Jul 19 2005, 10:08 PM
My advice is definitely don't over do it. We were supplied everything we needed for clincals except our uniforms. For class we needed something to take notes on, a binder for handouts, pens for writing (ink only!), and a highlighter for marking important sections of the text. Unless your planning to do some volunteer work as a first responder I wouldn't worry much about supplies other than a set of ears and a CPR pocket mask to keep in your POV. T-shears, penlight and scope is all I need, besides my clothing articles.
I'll keep this all in mind, I don't want to go to my ride alongs looking like a waddling penguin decked out in gear. But I do like to be prepared, and the items that he said are the things I was looking for, stuff I didn't think of that would be useful in ride alongs AND after I graduate.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by KEVD18@Jul 19 2005, 07:54 PM

my daily carry items:

radio
nextel
t-shears
folding knife
a pen light
scope

thats it
I'd add some cheap pens to that list...the ones you don't mind throwing away if they become crapped up.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
It's funny to hear TTLWHKR utter the phrase "Why over do it?" :lol:

That's a sign of the end times isn't it? :lol:

OP
OP
I

Ian

Forum Crew Member
I have a bunch of pens. Cheap ones, and I bought a few cheap pen lights. So I think I'm good to go other than shears and a scope, and all the other crap I need.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by ffemt8978+Jul 20 2005, 12:01 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ffemt8978 @ Jul 20 2005, 12:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-KEVD18@Jul 19 2005, 07:54 PM

my daily carry items:

radio
nextel
t-shears
folding knife
a pen light
scope

thats it

I'd add some cheap pens to that list...the ones you don't mind throwing away if they become crapped up. [/b][/quote]

For Steve...

YOU WILL NEED:

(BEFORE YOU EVEN START)

5 of each size collars, including adjustable
1 of each size BP cuff, Neonate to obese
A single head, single tube stethoscope
A dual head, single tube stethoscope
A dual head, two tube stethoscope
A Littman Master
A Littman Master Classic I
A Littman Master Classic II
A Littman Master Classic III
A Dopplar Stethoscope
A 27" Breathsaver Bag as a Trauma Bag stuffed with just bleeding control stuff
A 27" Breathsaver Bag as a Resuscitator Bag stuffed with just BVM's, OPA's, NPA's & a portable suction device
A 27" Breathsaver Bag With 2 Oxygen Tanks on a yoke w/ 4 outlets, a demand valve, 8 NRB's, 8 Nasal Cannulas
A Robertshaw Resuscitator in an orange case w/ E Tank, another demand valve, 2 NRB's, and an OPA kit
A Plano box stuffed with just about everything you may think will be necessary

Another 27" breathsaver bag stuffed with even more stuff that you think will be necessary

And finally...

A backboard..

A short board

A KED

2 Traction Splints

A Reeves

4 Sets of Air Splints

A 9 becon vector light bar w/ variations of Blue and White (or like mine red and white)

A siren... like an EQ2B

Personalized, gold plated Trauma Shears, Lister Scissors, Hemostatic Clamps, OB Scissors, ring cutter, flash light and seatbelt cutter.

Four sets of Morrison Six Piece Splints

Ten dozen Cravats

ten bags of 200 ct. 4x4 gauze sponges

four extra sets of NPA's and ten extra sets of OPA's..

5 of each extra BVM's Neonate - Adult

Personalized Penlights... 100 of them - just in case

The Smart Triage System

I'll think of more later.

But you have to have all of this, in your POV. I recommend an SUV, so you can have a cot too.

OP
OP
I

Ian

Forum Crew Member
Going to ask for some quick input. What type of scope will work best for me? I have no clue in the difference and I just can't seem to find a real difference on google...There are some economy ones for like $9, will that last me good enough? It's a single head type I believe.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Seriously.. A 4 dollar scope is about as good as a 400 dollar scope.

The dopplar scopes work better, but cost like 800 bucks. As long as you can hear good in the ambulance on a freeway.. A cement road makes more noise than pavement. You can get them at a pharmacy or maybe ?walmart?. I suggest you start subscribing to all kinds of catalogs... So you can be the best equipped EMT in the world.

BTW... I'm no longer a whacker. <_< :ph34r:

OP
OP
I

Ian

Forum Crew Member
Bah, my mom sent me an email and I didn't see it, she bought me some scope @ the scrubs store that was like $50. She can charge it to her work so I'm good to go! :) Except for the tact pants(still don't know a good brand) and boots.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
6 Pocket BDU Pants

Danner Gore-Tex Boots

and while you're at it; get a Dyna-Med Trauma/O2 Bag - fully stocked!

Be prepared to spend at least $700.00!