Class starting, need a list.

OP
OP
I

Ian

Forum Crew Member
Heck no, I'm tryin to save money! :p I don't wanna be one of those idiots that waggles like a pengiun when he walks! If I end up like that, oh well. Maybe it's not a bad thing because I'd rather have something and never use it(if it's not on an ambulance, which probably everything you need is) than not have something and need it desperately.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by Ian@Jul 20 2005, 01:27 AM
I'd rather have something and never use it(if it's not on an ambulance, which probably everything you need is) than not have something and need it desperately.
That's the freakin spirit kid!

BUY IT - JUST IN CASE

YOU MAY NEVER NEED IT - BUT YOU'LL NEVER KNOW - IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT JUST IN CASE!

IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN - YOU PLAN TO FAIL

Warning: Never take advice from current or former whackers! It may lead to spontaneous loss of funds in your bank account, excitement at the site of an EMS catalog and possible loss of consciousness at Fire Expositions in the EMS booth. It may also lead to sudden urges to purchase mass amounts of equipment and vintage ambulances. B)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Before I started class I had:

Several legal pads - I'd take notes and at the end of the day tear 'em off, 3-hole punch them, and stick them in a binder
Required scrubs from bookstore
Galls BP/Stethoscope kit for $20

This is coming from someone who would love to go out and buy everything. I spent more money on books / study guides than on my gear.

Things I carry with me every day to work:
- Littman Stethoscope
- Cell Phone
- Work Pager
- Glove Pouch (I dont work often so I tend to forget gloves on scene)

Keep it simple!

OP
OP
I

Ian

Forum Crew Member
I'm too poor for that! Thank god! I'd be decked out by now if I had cash! :p There are so many things I've heard my classmates talk about that I wish I had, most of all, the experiance! Most of them are or were nurses or were emts and forgot to keep up so lost there certs.

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
Lets see...what did I take with me.

Paper, pens, book.

HI SCOTT. :p

For clinicals it had to be nice clothing.
I got a pair of pants from allmed.com, .net, .org. DOT SOMETHING.
I dont like them. Pro-tuff is no good.

OP
OP
I

Ian

Forum Crew Member
I'm just glad I have people to kinda help out with everything for me. My girlfriends parents have been so nice to give me anything I really need. I don't need much, but I know there are certian things I will use even after I'm done with schooling. Even the pants I can wear sometimes because..I only have 4 pairs of pants, one pair of jeans, one pair of jean shorts, one part of kahkis, one pair of black dress pants. I only have sandles and dress shoes, so I'm kinda in a weird spot where i don't have enough crap to wear threw the week anyways. :p Thanks for all your help ya'll, I do appreciate the tendancy not to call me a stupid newbie who will never learn anything. I've seen other forums and got a little too weirded out to post with all the arrogance flying around, this seems like a great mix of people and a nice place to be.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I wasn't always a whacker.

Like I said, all I took to my EMT class was pens and a legal pad. I only took one pad, b/c I didn't take many notes. It came kind of easy to me, not that it's easy, but under my outter cover of being funny, crazy, and a comedian...<serious ttlwhkr on> I'm a Paramedic. I didn't get there with jokes, I had to study my *** off! All of the equipment you can buy is absolutely worthless, if you don't go to class with learning in mind, and take on every possible key of knowledge and skill possible. To heck with the uniforms, and the tools. Take a pen or two, a note book; No PDA's, no pocket computers, etc.. Take your brain.. and learn how to be an EMT. After you do that, you will earn the right to wear the uniform and use the tools of the trade.
icon13.gif

<serious ttlwhkr off>

OP
OP
I

Ian

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Jul 20 2005, 02:19 AM
I wasn't always a whacker.

Like I said, all I took to my EMT class was pens and a legal pad. I only took one pad, b/c I didn't take many notes. It came kind of easy to me, not that it's easy, but under my outter cover of being funny, crazy, and a comedian...<serious ttlwhkr on> I'm a Paramedic. I didn't get there with jokes, I had to study my *** off! All of the equipment you can buy is absolutely worthless, if you don't go to class with learning in mind, and take on every possible key of knowledge and skill possible. To heck with the uniforms, and the tools. Take a pen or two, a note book; No PDA's, no pocket computers, etc.. Take your brain.. and learn how to be an EMT. After you do that, you will earn the right to wear the uniform and use the tools of the trade.
icon13.gif

<serious ttlwhkr off>
I have to take the PDA! Elsewise I won't remember everything. Tomorrow is my second class, and I'm very excited. I want to learn and it's all I care about, but I get sidetracked easily, so I schedule study times in my PDA. They set of an alarm that sounds like a school bell ringing, and I start studying until the second alarm goes off. I get in 4-5 hours of reading this way, I did it the same with my alarm clock after highschool. I know it seems odd but I have to be somewhat organized in my personal life or I get confused easily. But the moment I enter any class, or any situation where listening and learning is required, I immediately do it. I'm not afraid to ask questions, if I don't understand, I ask asap. I am just tryin to learn as much as possible, I want to take as many clinical hours as possible because I don't think I can learn as much without taking alot more clinical hours than required. I learn easier by example, probably not a good trait. I'll keep the PDA at home tomorrow night and try it your way, maybe I'll learn more that way. I just want to prepare myself to learn as much as I can, in the amount of time I am with my instructor. I'd rather go over something in my text book 100 times and finally understand it, or ask my teacher about it and understand it then read it over, think I know it and be mistaken. (Sorry I type so much) I know it's hard to explain, maybe it's just my excitement over the whole thing, or my knowledge of my finacial situation but I have to get this outta the way asap. Probably a bit of both. I only have my GED, I haven't really done anything in my life and have been tryin to get into this program for a year and a half. Everytime somethin has come up.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
We definitely applaude you for making the jump into EMS. And if I haven't said it already, welcome to EMTLife.com!!

Having the PDA to keeping your schedule on track is fine. But leave it in the car or in your pocket during class. As suggested, just bring a pad and pen and keep good notes. If there is anything you need to bring to class your instructor will tell you about it.

And keep this in mind as well. You won't get rich doing EMS. The pay is good but not great. There are long hours, often working past your scheduled time, sometimes stretching a 12 hour shift to 24. You will walk into some of the cleanest houses in the world, and some that are the nastiest. You will meet sweet old ladies and some rough, young, drugged out punks all in the same day. Depending on the department/agency you join you may spend an entire shift sitting on a large leather sofa in front of a big screen tv or cramped in the front seat of a Series II ambulance. But don't let this discourage you. There are thousands and thousands of EMS professionals out there that are there for the people. And with all the crap they put up with they wouldn't change it for the world.

Welcome to EMS. Welcome to EMTLife.com! And welcome to the world of insanity.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I had a notebook and 2 pens (one of which I usually lent to someone else, including a certain now-medic ;) ). My department gave me a BP cuff and steth to take to class with me, which I returned at the end of class. I started out with a $20 combo pack that I bought myself when I finished class (cuff & steth) and then graduated to a $70 Littman dual head. I bought 1 pair of BDU's. In 5 years, that's it. Everything else I have, has been provided as part of one of my squads, either on the ambulance or for me to carry in my car.

TTL- why are you a "former" whacker? Since when?

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Ian :D Welcome :D

I can tell you're excited, that's great. I felt the same way when I started the EMT program. I know it's exciting getting the equipment, but like everyone else said, simplicity is best. To class I brought a notebook and my books. On clinicals, I brought the same. The best thing to do during downtime in clinicals is study. And your preceptor (if they were like mine) will quiz you and help you in between harassing and giving you a hard time. Do yourself a favor, buy two pairs of thick fabric black pants from wal mart for your clinicals. My first call was a 6y/o girl who cut her upper lip in a minor MVA, I got blood all over my pants. The first day I wore my second pair, I had my first code and they were covered in vomit. I no longer own that pair. Do the same with the boots. Even the people I know that do this job every week don't pay a lot of money for thier clothes because they WILL get ruined.

Most important though, bring your brain, no amount of equipment will prove that you can or want to do this job to the other medics than knowing what you're learning.

Good Luck, and stick around, we're always here to help out.

medic 4-2

Forum Probie
What I know I will need is Tactical pants in Navy(any good brands?) and combat style boots(once agian, any brand?
tru-spec bdu pants are really nice. and basically for boots your gonna want steel toe. i'd say go check out galls. but if you want a really nice pair that are gonna last a while i would say go for pro warington boots. they are pretty much the top of the the line. for fire i use the 3005 but they are 250. for the ambulance i use the 6050 ems boot which is 200. i know that may be outta your price range. if it is just stick to bates or galls they are alright and dont cost alot.

daemonicusxx

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by ffemt8978+Jul 20 2005, 12:01 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ffemt8978 @ Jul 20 2005, 12:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-KEVD18@Jul 19 2005, 07:54 PM
keep your equipmewnt to the bare minumum. theres a joke in this business about how to tell the newest guy around......find the guy with the most stuff on his belt.

my daily carry items:

radio
nextel
t-shears
folding knife
a pen light
scope

thats it
I'd add some cheap pens to that list...the ones you don't mind throwing away if they become crapped up. [/b][/quote]
Or stolen by hoarding RN's

TJC

Forum Probie
This is where I buy my pants...affordable, comfortable, and fast shipping:

Click Here

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Jul 20 2005, 06:56 AM
I had a notebook and 2 pens (one of which I usually lent to someone else, including a certain now-medic ;) ). My department gave me a BP cuff and steth to take to class with me, which I returned at the end of class. I started out with a $20 combo pack that I bought myself when I finished class (cuff & steth) and then graduated to a $70 Littman dual head. I bought 1 pair of BDU's. In 5 years, that's it. Everything else I have, has been provided as part of one of my squads, either on the ambulance or for me to carry in my car.

TTL- why are you a "former" whacker? Since when?
I sold 300lbs +/- of medical stuff on ebay, including several light bars, radios and a siren.

Therefore, I am no longer a whacker by way of property.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Jul 20 2005, 01:27 PM
I sold 300lbs +/- of medical stuff on ebay, including several light bars, radios and a siren.

Awww, you'll always be a whacker to us.... ;)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt+Jul 20 2005, 12:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rescuecpt @ Jul 20 2005, 12:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR@Jul 20 2005, 01:27 PM

Awww, you'll always be a whacker to us.... ;) [/b][/quote]
Whacker = Anyone who defines how much medical equipment they have or have had by it's weight.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Jul 19 2005, 09:39 PM
We had to wear dress pants/skirt and button down shirt (tie for men) for our ER and OR rotations. They let us change into hospital issued scrubs for OR, but for the ER, CCU, ICU, etc we wore our dress clothes plus lab coats given to us by the hospital (this was at several hospitals in our County).

For ride-a-longs each Corps or FD usually makes you wear whatever their probies wear (pants/shirt, turnout, coveralls, etc).
My instructor WANTED to do this dress code... he got shot down by the powers-that-be, as we would look too much like doctors.

EMT-P students wear scrubs in the OR, OB and Cath Lab, and the ER uniform for ICU and ER

EMT-B students wear an Aqua / Teal polo shirt with the school logo
EMT-P students wear a yellow polo shirt.

Basic students do 16 hours of ED time
Medic students live in the ED....

We are told "black or blue pants" and told "don't look like a whacker" - they don't ban BDU's and EMT pants, but they frown on them.