Choosing between two companies

Company that provides the best EMT LEARNING EXPERIENCE?

• AMR Lancaster

• Delano Ambulance

Results are only viewable after voting.

SanJoseEmt

Forum Crew Member
AMR Lancaster or Delano Ambulance Service for the BEST EMT EXPERIENCE?

I am not focused on pay nor hours. But, I do want to work as many hours as I can, min. 48 hrs a week.

I am focused on getting the most valuable experience I can right now that I can utilize in a future career as a Flight Nurse.

Every reply is appreciated.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Do you have two simultaneous job offers?

If not, then first step is applying to BOTH. You may not even have an option or you may only have one option.

Should you receive two offers, then you need to decide who offers the hours you want, the benefits you want, the type of experience, the coolest uniform, the better equipment (whatever your personal determining factors are for an EMS job).

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Those 2 services are in different areas that are 120 miles away with other services in the area.

I know it’s not on the list but if I lived in the area as an EMT I would try Hall ambulance as a top choice.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I agree with akflightmedic. It's going to depend if you are just asking who you should apply to or if they are both offering you jobs. If both were offering me jobs, I'd probably go for the higher paying one if it were me. Another consideration is transferring from one AMR location to another, but be careful, you don't want to screw your chances for working at any AMR location if things don't go well at the one you'd work at. In my area at least, AMR is the 911 everywhere, and if you lost your job, got fired, or failed your FTO at one, you'd be screwed working 911 in like 3-4 adjacent counties.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
AMR Lancaster or Delano Ambulance Service for the BEST EMT EXPERIENCE?
To be honest, I don't know anything about either of them.... however....

1) you're a newbie EMT without any experience. So there are 10 applicants for every 1 position. competition is steep. apply to both, and see who offers you the best deal.

2) you have posted other threads about best company and such. if you are willing to relocated, apply to every one that appeals to you. As other have said, you can also look outside of socal (NC has much lower taxes, and is great for newbie EMTs, just saying), and your opportunities increase drastically.

3) My general rule for getting the most EMT experience is to find the one that is busiest, and gets the most calls per shift. more calls = more patient contacts = more sick patients = more experience. While it's true that only 10 to 20% of your calls will be sick people, the more patients you see, the more sick patients you will experience, and that will help prepare you for future positions.

As a former member of the Kern County Cult, I’d recommend looking into Hall Ambulance Service as one can actually make a career there. Additionally, Hall Ambulance Service has their own Medevac program in-house that employs flight paramedics and flight nurses... food for thought.

If for whatever reason that is not possible, I would suggest Delano Ambulance Service over AMR strictly due to the scope of practice enjoyed by the Kern County Cult EMTs and Paramedics. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Maybe the Kern Co. Cult will make an appearance @VentMonkey
Hall Ambulance Service has their own Medevac program in-house that employs flight paramedics and flight nurses... food for thought.
IIRC, I’d already mentioned this to the OP in another thread. Redundancy isn’t something I’m a fan of.
Liberty-Ridgecrest.
I’m guessing it didn’t work out for the OP, and/ or they didn’t fit their (Liberty’s) needs.

OP, make your own mind up. Our suggestions only carry so much weight in your own personal life choices.

OP
OP
S

SanJoseEmt

Forum Crew Member
Those 2 services are in different areas that are 120 miles away with other services in the area.

I know it’s not on the list but if I lived in the area as an EMT I would try Hall ambulance as a top choice.

I applied to Hall Ambulance and failed the behavioral assessment test. I applied all over CA, and have interviews with both companies and just wanted to compare both of them side by side. Thought I could get some in-depth information about them here.

OP
OP
S

SanJoseEmt

Forum Crew Member
I agree with akflightmedic. It's going to depend if you are just asking who you should apply to or if they are both offering you jobs. If both were offering me jobs, I'd probably go for the higher paying one if it were me. Another consideration is transferring from one AMR location to another, but be careful, you don't want to screw your chances for working at any AMR location if things don't go well at the one you'd work at. In my area at least, AMR is the 911 everywhere, and if you lost your job, got fired, or failed your FTO at one, you'd be screwed working 911 in like 3-4 adjacent counties.

Thanks, this was really helpful.

OP
OP
S

SanJoseEmt

Forum Crew Member
To be honest, I don't know anything about either of them.... however....

1) you're a newbie EMT without any experience. So there are 10 applicants for every 1 position. competition is steep. apply to both, and see who offers you the best deal.

2) you have posted other threads about best company and such. if you are willing to relocated, apply to every one that appeals to you. As other have said, you can also look outside of socal (NC has much lower taxes, and is great for newbie EMTs, just saying), and your opportunities increase drastically.

3) My general rule for getting the most EMT experience is to find the one that is busiest, and gets the most calls per shift. more calls = more patient contacts = more sick patients = more experience. While it's true that only 10 to 20% of your calls will be sick people, the more patients you see, the more sick patients you will experience, and that will help prepare you for future positions.

Hello,

With NC, are you referring to NorCal or North Carolina or something else completely different?

Also, thanks for your input.

OP
OP
S

SanJoseEmt

Forum Crew Member
As a former member of the Kern County Cult, I’d recommend looking into Hall Ambulance Service as one can actually make a career there. Additionally, Hall Ambulance Service has their own Medevac program in-house that employs flight paramedics and flight nurses... food for thought.

If for whatever reason that is not possible, I would suggest Delano Ambulance Service over AMR strictly due to the scope of practice enjoyed by the Kern County Cult EMTs and Paramedics. Hope this helps.

Yes, this helps a lot. If you have the time to answer, what is it about the scope of practice in Kern County that makes it more enjoyable than other counties? I am familiar with only Santa Clara County and LA County because those are the areas I've lived in.

I applied to Hall and was not selected.

Thanks again for this information!

OP
OP
S

SanJoseEmt

Forum Crew Member
IIRC, I’d already mentioned this to the OP in another thread. Redundancy isn’t something I’m a fan of.

I’m guessing it didn’t work out for the OP, and/ or they didn’t fit their (Liberty’s) needs.

OP, make your own mind up. Our suggestions only carry so much weight in your own personal life choices.

Hello VentMonkey,

Thanks for reading some of my posts and trying to help me out as best as you can. On my other posts, I just felt like I needed more information and created this post with more specifics. If that make sense to you?

I applied to all of Liberty's CA locations and was not selected. Thanks though.

He’s referring to Liberty Ambulance of Kern Co, not Los Angeles Co.

They are not the same.

Also, I sent you a direct message.

OP
OP
S

SanJoseEmt

Forum Crew Member
He’s referring to Liberty Ambulance of Kern Co, not Los Angeles Co.

They are not the same.

Also, I sent you a direct message.

Are you referring to Progressive Liberty Ambulance? I applied to that one as well and I believe they are in Ridgecrest.

Are you referring to Progressive Liberty Ambulance? I applied to that one as well and I believe they are in Ridgecrest.

Heh... well I learned something new today. I never knew they were also known as “Progressive Ambulance.”

Yes that is the one I was referring to.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Hello,

With NC, are you referring to NorCal or North Carolina or something else completely different?

Also, thanks for your input.
North Carolina. For me, the mountains are 3 hours west, the ocean is 2 hours east, and my 3 bedroom 2.5 bathroom house in the capital city cost me less than 175k.

Most people on here don't have many good things to say about SoCal EMS, particularly in the LA area, especially if you aren't a firefighter. I have no first hand experience in it, but if your young, with few strings, and are looking for a better lifestyle sometimes you need to take a chance and try something totally different.