Charlottesville, VA

RessaLaRosa

Forum Ride Along
Hello! I am a recently certified NREMT paramedic. My boyfriend and I are moving to Charlottesville in May and I'm having trouble finding information on EMS in the area.

I was "raised" in my EMS career in the Seattle area. If anyone had any information on how the systems work that would be great! Who transports 911 calls, what kinds of job opportunities for paramedics in the area and places to apply would be great!

Thanks!

throcktharock

Forum Probie
There are a few opportunities close by for you. The main department in the Charlottesville area is Albemarle County Fire and Rescue. It's a combination system that covers the county that surrounds Charlottesville. They are currently expanding and hiring several positions. A rookie school starts April 1st, and another is planned for July.

The city is covered by the Charlottesville Fire Department for EMS First Response and also employs ALS providers, while the EMS is covered by the Charlottesville Albemarle Rescue Squad. The fire dept is all career and the rescue squad is all volunteer.

If you are interested in the NET stuff, Medical Transport, Inc is the current major player. There are a few smaller operations, but MTI has the majority of the calls as far as I can tell.

There are lots of other career opportunities in the area, within an hour drive, such as Louisa County, Orange County, Madison County, Augusta County, etc.

If you are into the single role EMS, with no interest in firefighting, Madison County, UVA Medical Transport Network(which is the contracted EMS provider for Greene and Buckingham County), and the Richmond Ambulance Authority (which is just over an hour or so away, on a very boring interstate).

All have various shifts.

Throck

throcktharock

Forum Probie
I totally feel like a thread killer. Nobody ever posts after Throck has something to say.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
You said it all! Post in the 100% non directional thread. You can't kill that one. ;)

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
What a summary! Go throck!

There are a plethora of volunteer opportunities in the surrounding counties. Don't be discouraged if you encounter a good old boy network. It can be overcome.

AzValley

Forum Lieutenant
I live in Charlottesville for 12 years. On a side note is it a very awesome place to live in general.