Changes in NREMT

OP
OP
Ridryder911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Actually all schools that want to have graduates to be eligible to take the NREMT Paramedic exam must be accredited by 2012.

This has caused a storm, but in reality we are the ONLY health care profession that performs direct care that does NOT ALREADY require such accredititation. Each school has at the least of three to four years to receive it. Now, we will see if they will.

This is being fought against by the Fire Chiefs Association and many other associations related to Fire Service and Volunteer Agency Associations. Really a shame protesting that they feel quality education should be required. This is a prime example of those that place their personal interest above the patients life.

There is no valid reason NOT to be accredited. By doing so demonstrates proper record keeping, validation of tests, skills, practical labs were performed, on site clinical instructors were available as well as instructors held at least some collegiate degree. Does this make them better? Well, yes. It has been demonstrated that graduates of such programs have a higher percentage of pass rates, job placements, promotions, longevity and lower cases of negligence. So something they are doing is right.... yet we have those that are against such? Why?

Alike, Bill Brown discussed. One Fire Chief from CA called and was protesting that "It was ludicrous to require such, the costs was enormous and there would be no difference in the outcome!" ... after he was informed that all Paramedic educational facilities in CA was already accredited he said..."Oh, then never mind, I would not have fought it, I had known that".... Yeah, real substance we are fighting against.

R/r 911

phunguy

Forum Crew Member
"The fastest time to test the Basic exam and pass was 16 minutes "

Would be nice to know if this was me :) I was done in what I thought was 15 minutes so I was damn close to the 16 minute mark...

Hastings

Noobie
Actually all schools that want to have graduates to be eligible to take the NREMT Paramedic exam must be accredited by 2012.

This has caused a storm, but in reality we are the ONLY health care profession that performs direct care that does NOT ALREADY require such accredititation. Each school has at the least of three to four years to receive it. Now, we will see if they will.

This is being fought against by the Fire Chiefs Association and many other associations related to Fire Service and Volunteer Agency Associations. Really a shame protesting that they feel quality education should be required. This is a prime example of those that place their personal interest above the patients life.

There is no valid reason NOT to be accredited. By doing so demonstrates proper record keeping, validation of tests, skills, practical labs were performed, on site clinical instructors were available as well as instructors held at least some collegiate degree. Does this make them better? Well, yes. It has been demonstrated that graduates of such programs have a higher percentage of pass rates, job placements, promotions, longevity and lower cases of negligence. So something they are doing is right.... yet we have those that are against such? Why?

Alike, Bill Brown discussed. One Fire Chief from CA called and was protesting that "It was ludicrous to require such, the costs was enormous and there would be no difference in the outcome!" ... after he was informed that all Paramedic educational facilities in CA was already accredited he said..."Oh, then never mind, I would not have fought it, I had known that".... Yeah, real substance we are fighting against.

R/r 911

I think the only reason this could be a bad thing is because currently, being a graduate from one of those accredited (and one recognized throughout the entire country), puts me WAY ahead of practically anyone else when applying for a job. There are some schools that show you're a quality graduate, and I'm so glad I chose an accredited program. Thank God for the change.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I think the accreditation is a wonderful first step towards universal standards of education for the field. It barely scratches the surface of the issues surrounding it but it's a good first step and that's always the hardest one to take.

firecoins

IFT Puppet

R/r 911

This is what you get when you mix services. He probably fought it because he thought it would be harder to recruit firefighters that are required to perform a dual role.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Ridryder911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
No actually he fought it because he thought it would:
  • Increase education requirements
  • Employees would want an increase in salary
  • Cause an increase in his/her budget

As well knowing the more education, the more demand in patient care, which will increase more in-depth knowledge, more cost in supplies....

That is why it is as ironic as it is.

R/r 911

emt561

Forum Ride Along
how u doing guys

:)how many months do i have to wait to do the NREMt, if i finished the EMT course almost 2 months ago ? i would really appreciate any info ..:unsure:

OP
OP
Ridryder911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
One can take the NREMT as soon as they have successfully completed an official EMT course. Contact your state EMS office or NREMT directly at www.NREMT.org

R/r 911

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I know this is an old thread, buit with 2009 approaching, what of the transitional 2009 things are being implemented right now?

I am aware that this Thread is rather old but I still want to make a reply.