change my sirens

sneauxpod

Forum Lieutenant
Ok so my buddy and i always have little competitions on who knows how to do the coolest thing, i was talking to a few fellow medics and they said they changed their sirens on their truck, not like the pitch or anything but made it a totally different siren. Does anyone know how they would have even gone about it aside from buying new hardware for their truck? As far as I'm aware, every truck has a Whelen siren system. Not sure what model or version though. They had to be able to do it relatively quickly though since they're a rescue truck so it couldn't be an all day thing. Any ideas?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
More than likely they used the PA system. I've used the PA system before but that's all I'm gonna say about it haha.

If your siren does not have a PA system then I don't know.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I know the Whelen 295SLS6 can be reprogrammed for different tones. You can google the instructions.

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
Why don't you just ask the guys how they did it?

And are you talking about he cadence of the siren or something else, like the NYMedics ice cream truck?

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Depends on the model of the siren, some have many different tones

ibetter off taking this question over to elightbars.net those guys are gear heads for that kind of stuff

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I've done it before, not sure which model... and we turned it into a european ambulance sound, hard to describe...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
More than likely they used the PA system. I've used the PA system before but that's all I'm gonna say about it haha.

Make the white shirt do the siren on the PA say what?

I'd never do that. :D

OP
OP
S

sneauxpod

Forum Lieutenant

Honestly that's just horrible, i mean what, blast ludacris over the PA in the ghettos of Detroit, I'd never do that. But I'm going to look and see what those instructions say lol

Smoke14

Forum Crew Member
Hang at cat out of the window, scratch his backside with a corn cob and pour turpentine on it. :rofl:

Anjel

Forum Angel
Honestly that's just horrible, i mean what, blast ludacris over the PA in the ghettos of Detroit, I'd never do that. But I'm going to look and see what those instructions say lol

Lmao that would be awesome. Just roll down 8 mile or the cass corridor blaring move "b$:censored::censored::censored:% get out the way!".

The lovely citizens need some target practice.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Twisting the selector knob between settings in a cadence will do it. But this sort of defeats the use for a siren, doesn't it? Drivers are suppose to go "Hmm, a siren, better pull over" not "Hmm, what the heck is that...".:cool:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
The OP is talking about reprogramming the siren from the traditional wail and yelp to the alternate tones included in the Whelen siren head. The newer units allow the selector to be programmed for specific tones selected by the end user. For example, the yelp setting may be reprogrammed to the Power Call style yelp. It's not a big deal to reprogram, but I wouldn't mess with changing the siren settings without the okay of the boss.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

I'm not going to admit anything but maybe the siren from ghostbusters was played over the PA system of my ambulance.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I used the rocky theme once.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

sneauxpod

Forum Lieutenant
Lmao that would be awesome. Just roll down 8 mile or the cass corridor blaring move "b$:censored::censored::censored:% get out the way!".

The lovely citizens need some target practice.

8 mile? try Woodward haha

I used the rocky theme once.

I concede defeat sir :rofl:

Anjel

Forum Angel
OP
OP
S

sneauxpod

Forum Lieutenant
Lol no where in that city is semi safe after dark