Challenge Coins

Does your Fire/EMS agency award challenge coins?

• Total voters

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Just curious if any of your agencies award challenge coins to your members?

For those who don't know, challenge coins originated in (and are still quite popular with) the military. They're usually awarded for some sort of recognition (completing a training program, promotion, recognition of exemplery service, etc.) The challenge aspect is that in a bar, if you lay down your coin on the table, everyone else has to produce their coin. Anyone who can't buys the drinks, but if everyone lays one down, then the original challenger pays.

They seem to be gaining popularity with fire, police and other emergency agencies (though less so with EMS it seems).

The DMAT team I belong too has issued them in the past and is planning on getting some new ones made up. They're awarded to members who successfully complete the entire NDMS training program. I've been thinking about suggesting the idea to the FD as well.

I don't have one of my "own" yet, but I have started collecting other fire/EMS related ones (mostly military, but a few from FDs).

This is an example...one from another DMAT (in Florida) from my collection.

fl1coin1.jpg

fl1coin2.jpg

ECC

Forum Captain
Usually the 'nosers' get it though. :eek:

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey..that one you have from DMAT-1..thats the DMAT I am looking at joining once I pass the state test.

OP
OP
SafetyPro2

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Here's a good overview of challenge coins.

Wikipedia - Challenge Coin

The one I posted the pictures of is fairly typical. They're usually 1 1/4 to 2 inches in diameter and adorned with official and/or unofficial "unit" crests and logos (or like the one I posted, the logo of the unit on one side and the larger "parent" organization on the other).

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Does it count if you have your own challenge coin? :lol:

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by rescuemedic7306@May 29 2005, 10:09 AM
Where can you get them? (to buy I mean)
E-Bay..

Search Challenge coins...

I did a quick search, it brought back 1628 items found for challenge coins

rescuemedic7306

Forum Crew Member
My bad....I should have said: where can you get them to buy for your organization, and are they expensive?

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Google Search..

Custom Designed Challenge Coins

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I'll try to find the contact info for the people that did my coins for me.

My coin was from when I was in the Air Force- all the colonels who held command positions and generals had their own coins so I decided that I (as an E-3, Airman First Class who really didn't like the military) needed my own to trade. There's an Airman's Association chapter on every base and I decided with a group of my friends to found a group we called the Dirtbag Airman's Association (the DBAA) because that's what the commander called any airman who didn't want to be in the service. I was the first chapter president of the DBAA and as such I had a coin struck. Note: I really wasn't a bad airman, I just didn't like being in the service and decided to have some fun with my situation.

On one side of the coin (which was 2 1/4" across) it had the words "Dirtbag Airman's Association" above a very dissheveled looking cartoon airman (hat on backwards, saluting with the wrong hand, holding a bottle of booze in the other) and the words "Andrews Air Force Base Chapter" below. On the back it had a "core values" of the DBAA around the edge- Amusement First * Profit above all else * Mediocrity in all we do" Those are a corruption of the Air Force core values of "Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do). In the center of the coin there was an upside down set of Airman First Class stripes and the words:
A1C Stephen R----------
Founding Chapter President
Andrews AFB DBAA

ECC

Forum Captain
That is funny right there...I do not care where you are from!

OP
OP
SafetyPro2

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Sometimes, you just have to poke some fun at your situation to stay sane. Been there myself a few times.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
The funny thing was the Chief of Staff of the Air Force (his daughter was one of the ER nurses at the hospital with me so he used to stop in and see her from time to time) traded me one of his coins for one of mine. He was like "That's the most unique coin I've ever seen. Would you like to trade one of yours for one of mine?" Only thing he said about my "attitude" was, "At least you are having fun with your situation Airman." :lol:

"Yes sir, that I am." :lol: :lol:

FFEMTMIKE

Forum Ride Along
I am Active Duty Navy stationed here in Egypt and have about 200 of them but really cant find a good way to display them with both sides showing. Any ideas? Also I dont have any PD,FD,or EMS ones and I am willing to trade my Military Unit one for some.

Mike

OP
OP
SafetyPro2

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Originally posted by FFEMTMIKE@May 30 2005, 03:01 AM
I am Active Duty Navy stationed here in Egypt and have about 200 of them but really cant find a good way to display them with both sides showing. Any ideas? Also I dont have any PD,FD,or EMS ones and I am willing to trade my Military Unit one for some.

Mike
There's a number of displays for sale on eBay at any given time. Some of them have slots that you set the coins vertically in, so you can kinda see both sides.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Bumping an old thread instead of creating a new one

Does anyone have coins like these? my FD made them up, and I'm looking ot try to trade them for EMS agency ones to get an EMS collectoin started.

in case you don't know what they are, I am attaching pictures of a coin I am willing to trade from my collection

IMG_0176.jpg