can ER Tech work as EMT?

whoyougonnacall

Forum Ride Along
I am in the process of training to be an ER Tech at my hospital and I was wondering if additional training is required to be a paid or volunteer EMT. I will ask the local EMS, but since I'm stuck at work I figured I'd fire it out to you guys. Thanks.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I am in the process of training to be an ER Tech at my hospital and I was wondering if additional training is required to be a paid or volunteer EMT. I will ask the local EMS, but since I'm stuck at work I figured I'd fire it out to you guys. Thanks.
Look up the job requirements to be an EMT in your area.

Do you have these?
That will be your answer.

Usually the only requirement are CPR and EMT certifications.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

EKUEMT

Forum Probie
Usually a national registry card or at least state EMT card is required to work. However like NPO said look up the job requirements. I know the hospital I work at hires EMTs in the ER.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Have you taken an EMT class? Have you attained certification? If you answered no to these questions.. the answer is no.

OP
OP
W

whoyougonnacall

Forum Ride Along
Have you taken an EMT class? Have you attained certification? If you answered no to these questions.. the answer is no.
That's what i was wondering, if taking an EMT course is still required. I was hoping to maybe take the certification test without the course, because the hours courses are offered aren't convenient at all. I'll investigate on monday but that makes sense to still need to take an EMT course. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The odds are you will still need the EMT class. If your state requires NREMT then one of the requirements in order to take the NREMT is to have an EMT course and to have been cleared by the instructor of that course.

With how short EMT courses are I highly doubt any state would allow a random person to challenge the test.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I don't think there's any state that allows anyone to challenge an EMT-B cert without taking the class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
That's what i was wondering, if taking an EMT course is still required. I was hoping to maybe take the certification test without the course, because the hours courses are offered aren't convenient at all. I'll investigate on monday but that makes sense to still need to take an EMT course.
There are pieces of equipment on the ambulance that you won't find in an ER. It's a different environment than working in an ER. there is no standard training program for ER techs, so what hospital A requires, hospital B might not accept.

If you want to be an EMT, do what everyone else does: take the class

OP
OP
W

whoyougonnacall

Forum Ride Along
There are pieces of equipment on the ambulance that you won't find in an ER. It's a different environment than working in an ER. there is no standard training program for ER techs, so what hospital A requires, hospital B might not accept.

If you want to be an EMT, do what everyone else does: take the class
I read you loud and clear. I'm sorry to suggest that an ER Tech could ever do what an EMT does. Consider my wrist slapped. I will now go take an EMT course so I can perform the duties of an EMT-B to the best of my ability with the proper training.