Can anyone recommend a good lunch pail to bring to work?

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
Starting my first EMT job shortly and I don't want to be eating out a lot. Also what kind of goodies do you keep in there if you'd like to share.

:blush:

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
uh, what size are you looking for? Also, do you not have a station to keep things at, or are you just that busy that you don't have time to stop back in at station?

If we are not busy, then we usually just make something at station, if we are, then we just have to eat out since there's no way around it. You can usually find pretty cheap things out and about that are also healthy (subway comes to mind).

But I do keep a cold gatorade with me usually since the EMS rooms around here only have water and sodas usually.

OP
OP
Always BSI

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
Preferably a large one where I can keep all sorts of stuff to munch on. Over here I will most likely be in the ambulance for the majority of the shift unless its a 24 then I stay at the station.

Thinking of making some sandwiches, salad, couple of fruits, etc. Maybe sunflower seeds.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
uh, what size are you looking for? Also, do you not have a station to keep things at, or are you just that busy that you don't have time to stop back in at station?

He (I'm assuming) is in the IE in California. California seems to favor the SSM. So you are posted on street corners for the whole shift.

OP
OP
Always BSI

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
Yep, California. I need to go shopping for one tomorrow haha

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
This is funny, I asked a coworker about this earlier today. You'd think working in EMS for nearly a year I'd already have one but I've been lazy plus with school I had no time to go buy one...mostly lazy though :D

Provided this isn't impinging on the OP, one thing I need is the ability to keep everything cold whilst sitting in a non-temperature controlled side compartment of our trucks in 90-100 degree heat for 12 hours.

You can usually find pretty cheap things out and about that are also healthy (subway comes to mind).

We don't have stations. Straight system status management. We have a few hard posts but you move in and out of them as the demand on the system dictates. You may spend all day in one or just run and return to it or you may not see one for a couple days on end.

While you can find cheapish, healthy-ish food out there I'm getting tired of spending money (and eating Subway) constantly. Plus with our call volume you don't always have time to stop and wait for food to be made. Plus it's really frustrating to order and pay for food only to get a call and never make it back to the place to get you're food. I've made my fair share of "donations" to local eateries over the last year.

OP
OP
Always BSI

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
>Google search lunch pail
>First link Dora the Explorer

Seems legit.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I have yet to find a good pail. One piece of advise I can give is if you keep the pail upfront with you make sure it's off the floor of the ambulance. It stays cold longer if it's not on the floor.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I have yet to find a good pail. One piece of advise I can give is if you keep the pail upfront with you make sure it's off the floor of the ambulance. It stays cold longer if it's not on the floor.

That's tough with all the stuff in the front of our units. Garbage can behind the driver's seat, MCI START triage kit behind the passenger's seat, clip board, map book, apartment guide, map book and gloves. Doesn't help that I need a solid sized pail since I eat so much damn food!

You could probably do it in the units with the extended cab but then it ruins your seat recline-ability on the off chance we can catch some Z's!

firefite have you had better luck with soft-sided or hard-sided coolers?

Sorry OP I feel like I'm jacking your thread. :blush: On another note, good call on that Dora cooler! haha

OP
OP
Always BSI

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
Sorry OP I feel like I'm jacking your thread. :blush: On another note, good call on that Dora cooler! haha

haha I don't mind!

:beerchug:

EMT1A

Forum Crew Member
packit or any of the lunch boxes that come with a built in ice gel/pack

works pretty good for 4-6 hours out in the sun and even longer if you store it in the shade

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
That's tough with all the stuff in the front of our units. Garbage can behind the driver's seat, MCI START triage kit behind the passenger's seat, clip board, map book, apartment guide, map book and gloves. Doesn't help that I need a solid sized pail since I eat so much damn food!

You could probably do it in the units with the extended cab but then it ruins your seat recline-ability on the off chance we can catch some Z's!

The soft ones are easier to fit in tight places. The hard ones seem to keep food colder longer.

On some of our units we don't have any room to put them. So they have to go up front.

We have the regular cab ford type 2s. Upfront each employee has a backpack, helmet, and safety vest. Also a mapbook, 1 computer for epcr and another computer for mapping and CAD, plus the mounting for the CAD computer, MCI start bag (usually just triage tags and sharpies), trash can, fire extinguisher, folder with extra forms, map books for gated communities, a lockbox with a key to get into locked gates, and lastly an ice chest for water for the employees throught the shift (3 bottles per employee). So it gets very very cramped up front.

That's not including if employees want to bring laptops, game systems (we've had crew have a small TV and Xbox in the front of the unit and playing COD while positing).

OP
OP
Always BSI

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
Wow getting paid and destroying noobs online... awesome!

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
My wife has a smaller soft sided/hard liner cooler she carries at work. I have a smaller all soft sided I carry.

For her 2 of the square refreezable cold pacs seem to last all day in the south Texas heat. We both keep them in the can or somewhere in the module off the floor/out of the way.

I usually have 2 tuna salad or PB&J sandwiches, cut up celery or carrots with low fat dill sauce for dipping, grapes or apple slices, cup of yogurt, trail mix or granola.

I also keep a 32oz camelbak or liberty bottle works bottle I refill with water at gas stations or ERs. Some Mio or camelbak tablets keeps the water tasty. I also carry a 32oz low cal Gatorade most days.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Listen closely because I'm going to impart to you wisdom that I learned the hard way.

Never

Never

Never

Take a hello kitty lunch box with you while riding on an ambulance in central Texas if you're a guy. That is all.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Listen closely because I'm going to impart to you wisdom that I learned the hard way.

Never

Never

Never

Take a hello kitty lunch box with you while riding on an ambulance in central Texas if you're a guy. That is all.

:ph34r: One of my classmates had a hello kitty miniture boombox. Bad idea on his part.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

Never

Never

Never

It's perfectly fine to do it in my area.... Then again my city is known for its gay and lesbian communities along with parades.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief

What are ya riding in, soccer moms Mini-van?
Oh, the soft ones fit in tighter spaces, and they have those cooley types.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief

Never

Never

Never

Hey now I carry a pink cooler bag.

Cuz the wife took our nicer cooler bag and I'm too lazy/cheap to buy a new one just because of the color.