California's EMS License Plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAEMSJI

Forum Ride Along
There is a very limited time left for the CA EMS Authority to collect 7,500 orders for EMS license plates - less than five months left. With out at least 7,500 orders the program will be discontinued. For more details and to order your EMS plate, visit http://www.emsa.ca.gov/about/license_plate/default.asp
Also, visit our Facebook page - search California Emergency Medical Services Authority.

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
theres a similar campaign in IL, but i dont know if they will collect enough orders to get an actual plate made :(

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'm thinking for the same reasons that firefighters want a fire plate.

To be fair, I don't get why people want a fire plate or put the cheesy little sticker in their rear window.

Joe

Forum Captain
to be fair it has everything to do with pride. who are you to judge what lic plate i can have or not. why do people personalize their plates? Because they can and they want to

MusicMedic

Forum Captain

lampnyter

Forum Captain
i would get one but if you have one then you are expected to help people when theres an accident and what not. having that gives you a duty to act.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Did anyone say that you could or could not get any specific special plate you want?

atropine

Forum Captain
I'm thinking for the same reasons that firefighters want a fire plate. Some people have a lot of pride in what they do.

Pride in what?, $10.00 an hour, I guess if you think that is worthy of an expensive car or more expensive truck registration here in Cali.

clibb

Forum Captain
If you pass an accident without stopping and you have the EMS label, can you get charged for neglect?

JPINFV

Gadfly
i would get one but if you have one then you are expected to help people when theres an accident and what not. having that gives you a duty to act.

To the best of my knowledge, California is not a duty to act state. Besides, no law can force me to provide care in unsafe conditions, which the side of a freeway with traffic going 80+ definitely is.

Last edited by a moderator:

somePerson

Forum Crew Member
I'm guessing mostly new EMT's would want that crap all over their cars. Until they figure out their EMT-b ift job doesn't save lives and they truely figure out how lame they are. Only reason I would consider a firesticker on a car is to have a chance to get out of a ticket.

Incyder38

Forum Probie
I'm guessing mostly new EMT's would want that crap all over their cars. Until they figure out their EMT-b ift job doesn't save lives and they truely figure out how lame they are. Only reason I would consider a firesticker on a car is to have a chance to get out of a ticket.

That sticker is now more of a target than anything else. Cops and firefighters don't really get along too well these days, even more so with the latest round of LE layoffs.

alphatrauma

Forum Captain

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
If you pass an accident without stopping and you have the EMS label, can you get charged for neglect?
sure. if they see your car, identify you as the driver as an EMT, can identify your license plate, ensure you have the appropriate equipment in your POV to assist, oh and prove that you knew there were injuries at an MVA and you intentionally did nothing when you had a duty to act, then you absolutely will be charged with neglect.

personally, I have yet to find anyone who can identify an EMT driving 60+ mph driving down the highway based on a license plate or based on a sticker on the back window. but that's just me.

Interesting... I wasn't aware that everyone in EMS (in California) made $10/hr :sad:
that is pretty bad. I have an agency sticker in my back window; but make about $20/hr as an EMT (give or take a few bucks).

JPINFV

Gadfly
sure. if they see your car, identify you as the driver as an EMT, can identify your license plate, ensure you have the appropriate equipment in your POV to assist, oh and prove that you knew there were injuries at an MVA and you intentionally did nothing when you had a duty to act, then you absolutely will be charged with neglect.

The only thing that matters is a legal duty to act, which again, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't exist in California. They can ID me as much as they want, but the issue of identifying a passing car is moot if no duty exists for off duty providers.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
TN has had a similar situation with a tag for years that I am hoping will finally be approved (i.e. get enough orders placed). I'm not holding my breath though. I have my e Tag, BUT they are so ugly

emergency.jpg

The tag they are working on has a big star of life on it and your state license # on the place where the county name usually goes.

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
Status
Not open for further replies.